Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 gsxr 600 it's been smoking for a few months now. Before the winter it would smoke randomly. I thought it was the regulator/rectifier but I changed the rectifier and same issue. I just took it out and changed the oil and its smoking again. It seems like it's coming from under the bike. The smoke is random not always. I think it may be dripping something on the manifold and its burning that. See video any ideas?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Get that cowling off and start snooping around, if it smells 'sweet' it's probably coolant, oil is easily spotted since it'll dry/burn up black on a hot engine and from what I can see, your engine and headers look pretty clean
Coolant also starts smoking sooner than oil, so if it happens almost immediately with a cold engine, that's another sign it might be somewhere in you cooling system

Could be the radiator cap or one of the hoses needs to be tightened (had the hose on the thermostat of my K6 blow loose when it was new because factory didn't tighten them down enough, luckily this happened when I just switched the engine off)

As is, I suggest not riding it
If it's coolant, you might overheat or blow a hose and get coolant all over you
If it's oil, you might damage the engine or leak oil and wipe out
If it's exhaust gas, you might damage the exhaust manifold(/port)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get that cowling off and start snooping around, if it smells 'sweet' it's probably coolant, oil is easily spotted since it'll dry/burn up black on a hot engine and from what I can see, your engine and headers look pretty clean
Coolant also starts smoking sooner than oil, so if it happens almost immediately with a cold engine, that's another sign it might be somewhere in you cooling system

Could be the radiator cap or one of the hoses needs to be tightened (had the hose on the thermostat of my K6 blow loose when it was new because factory didn't tighten them down enough, luckily this happened when I just switched the engine off)

As is, I suggest not riding it
If it's coolant, you might overheat or blow a hose and get coolant all over you
If it's oil, you might damage the engine or leak oil and wipe out
If it's exhaust gas, you might damage the exhaust manifold(/port)
It seems that it may be coolant. Any location on where the pipe for the coolant is? Also how does one take out a "pop snap"?

·
Registered
774 Posts
It seems that it may be coolant. Any location on where the pipe for the coolant is? Also how does one take out a "pop snap"?
Not to sound like a dick, but with a question like that I have only one answer: Please take it to a professional
As is, all I can say (but not taking responsibility for the advice) take off your right fairing and check if the radiator cap is loose.

I also wouldn't know what a "Pop Snap" is supposed to be, I might not be a native English speaker, but I'm pretty sure that you won't find such a part on a motorcycle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts