Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe what i am hearing on my new bike is the cam chain making noise.

When i have it at 3k RPM and i let it go back down i hear a annoying noise and also when declerating.

IS there anything i can do? My dad said back in his days on the 900's you could tighten them. MY bike has 16k miles on it.

Also The bike has a michelin 190 back tire and in 1st and 2nd gear it has a hard time not spinning. What is a good tire to go with, with a soft compound and should i go back to a 180?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
get an auto cam chain tensioner, ask your local shop about them. also, for tires, go with either pirelli diablo's or dunlop 208 gp's/gpa's; either of those will heat up a lot faster than michelins. michelins are great on the track but don't heat up quick enough for street riding, IMO. and yes, definitely go back to a 180, i can't believe there is a 190 on that 600; a 180 will turn in a lot quicker and has much more contact surface for traction while leaned over in corners.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would rec. the APE manual cam chain adjuster-the auto ones don't auto too well & can cause some very expensive damage when they don't.Ck the site sponsors.Maybe a race take off(cheap) in a 180 would be something to try for your traction prob's-just remember that they will last only about 1k miles.I can rec pirelli,dunlop,bridgestone

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not sure about the cam chain thing but about the tire size, you actually do have a larger contact patch with the larger tire. If you don't believe me take a look at some of the AMA guys. Look at the size of the back tire on some of those bikes. Sweeney, you are correct when you say the 180 will turn in quicker, but the 190 will give you more grip assumming all other things equal. However, I don't understand why you need that much more grip if you are riding on the street. Before switching tires you should do a good check on your tire pressure. A good way to get more grip out of a tire is to drop the pressure a psi or two and see how it feels (this assumes you aren't going too far below factory specs). I currently run Michelin Pilot Powers on my '03 GSXR600 without any problems on the track or the street. If you decide to put race tires on the street you are increasing your chances for problems. Bottom line is street tires are made to grip from the start (in other words if you roll your bike out of the garage one morning for a canyon run or whatever you will have more grip from the start from the street versus DOT) and also to come up to temp pretty fast and to withstand the many potholes the street throws your way. You will be pretty pressed trying to get a set of DOT's up to optimal operating temp on the street. If you don't believe me stop by the Club Racer forum and post. L8r

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not sure about the cam chain thing but about the tire size, you actually do have a larger contact patch with the larger tire. If you don't believe me take a look at some of the AMA guys. Look at the size of the back tire on some of those bikes. Sweeney, you are correct when you say the 180 will turn in quicker, but the 190 will give you more grip assumming all other things equal.
The rear rim on a 600 is not wide enough to keep the correct profile of a 190 rear tire. Because the rim is a not as wide the 190 will "tuck in" more near the rim giving the tire a taller profile than the 180 tire. More than likely, the contact patch will be pretty close to the same, but the handleing WILL definately suffer cause of the profile cheange and additional weight.

And as far as brand of tires, I tried them all and always end up putting Bridgestone back on it. I'm running the BT-014's right now and love them. My 3rd set actually. The Pilot powers are my #2 choice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you are going to replace the cam chain tensioner, DEFINATELY go with the manual tensioner. The auto's can give out at any time without warning, and the auto's cost more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts