Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent rode my bike in 1-2 weeks and when i took it out i had to go refill so when i did i stopped at the gas station and i noticed when i opened the tank i saw smoke coming from the holes. Anyone know what it could be?

· Registered
GSX-R750
441 Posts
Do you have a CA model bike? That helps us determine what plumbing is going on around your gas tank. If you have a non-CA model, you probably just have an air vent hose, and overflow hose on the gas tank. But if you have a CA model bike, there is a carbon canister attachment to catch evaporative fuel emissions in that system too.

But I've never seen that system cause smoke/steam/mist in the gas tank...

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe your gas tank vent hose or overflow hose is touching your exhaust header, and burning the rubber or something at the end of the hose, and then that smoke/steam is making its way up that hose into the tank.

Get out a flashlight and check your bike for leaks/drips of any fluid, and check to make sure nothing is touching the exhaust pipes. Then run the bike again and see if it happens again, maybe run the tank nearly empty and fully refuel and see if it happens again. Maybe you just had condensation in the tank, and the sun boiled it off and you saw it as steam, not sure.

-Mike

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a CA model bike? That helps us determine what plumbing is going on around your gas tank. If you have a non-CA model, you probably just have an air vent hose, and overflow hose on the gas tank. But if you have a CA model bike, there is a carbon canister attachment to catch evaporative fuel emissions in that system too.

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe your gas tank vent hose or overflow hose is touching your exhaust header, and burning the rubber or something at the end of the hose, and then that smoke/steam is making its way up that hose into the tank.

Get out a flashlight and check your bike for leaks/drips of any fluid, and check to make sure nothing is touching the exhaust pipes. Then run the bike again and see if it happens again, maybe run the tank nearly empty and fully refuel and see if it happens again. Maybe you just had condensation in the tank, and the sun boiled it off and you saw it as steam, not sure.

-Mike

-Mike
im not 100% sure but i think its CA. But the hose to the airbox wasnt connected when i checked could that be it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts