Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where i can find cometic head gasket 60 thou for turbo application i search all sites can't find it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi in 2007 I turbo,d my k6 here in the uk, firstly I had to have a wet compression test done on my engine to work out exactly how much I needed to increase the cylinder volume in order to drop the compression ratio down to 9 to 1, in those days cometic didn't make a simple bolt on gasket that thick so I had a copper head spacer plate made and applied slices of cometic gasket to both sides of the spacer plate until I got the desired thickness, I also had a few thousands of an inch machined of the top of my pistons, all in all this brought the compression ratio down to exactly 9 to 1, remember there no provision for a cylinder base spacer plate on a k6 as cylinders and engine case are integral and the con rods cannot be shortened because of internal oilways so all the spacing is done at the top end if you just add layer upon layer of cometic gasket on top of each other in order to achieve the desired thickness if wont last five minutes if memory serves 60 thou on its own is not enough thickness to achieve a 9 to one compression ratio on a k6 its a bit more than that but I cant remember exactly how much, yes you can bang on gaskets galore but they tend not to last or you do what I did and have your engine spaced correctly and in three years of racing I never had a single head gasket issue, or maybe even cometic may now supply a gasket that is thick enough but id be hard pressed to trust a multi layered gasket with so many layers that thick on its own hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts