Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
New here :cheers , to give you some history on my bike, I purchased off a friend it was sat up for 2+ years with some damage - fixed it and got it through an MOT. A couple of times whilst fixing it, it wouldn't start, I left it for 30minutes and it then would start...
I had a couple of rides out all fine, luckily never happened away from home. Now it won't start at all

I thought it was to do with the alarm - but I spoke to the tech team and he said the alarm is just a motion alarm and the bike has it's factory fitted immobiliser (I'm in the UK). (The alarm doesn't work anyway, still making me wonder it this is the problem?)

When I turn the ignition on there is a sound from the injectors area but the fuel pump isn't priming. I can turn the bike over but it doesn't fire.

I have tested a few of the wires for continuity and power going to the fuel pump (getting just over 10v)

There is no error codes ( C00 )

I haven't tried easy start yet

I have put some videos of whats happening on youtube but I can't post link yet, they are titled below if you would like to search for them? Or someone with the ability can post below?
GSXR 1000 K5 (Starting fault, fuel pump not priming) pt1
GSXR 1000 K5 (Starting fault, fuel pump not priming) pt2

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've tried easy start with no joy, maybe I didn't spray enough?

I have also put power directly to the fuel pump and it didn't power up.. should putting power directly to it work? I put one on the + and another on - ( there seems to be two + )

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
"getting just over 10v"

That's too low. Should be at least 12V. You may have a dying battery or a failing charging system.

An alarm is connected to the bike via a four position connector and a single position connector, both under the seat and next to each other. I'd really suggest that you unconnect it for now as the immobilizer is enough to worry about. But that's more complicated than it might seem. You need to reinstall install the shorting plug in place of the four position connector. It connects two of the pins. Note that I'm assuming that the alarm was installed in the Suzuki designed method. The OEM shorting plug has probably been discarded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for the help!

If the alarm doesn't work anyway, trash it.

What is damaged on the bike?
I would like to but I want to make sure I'm not making things worse

Pretty minimal damage, front wheel, engine casing and foot peg..

"getting just over 10v"

That's too low. Should be at least 12V. You may have a dying battery or a failing charging system.

An alarm is connected to the bike via a four position connector and a single position connector, both under the seat and next to each other. I'd really suggest that you unconnect it for now as the immobilizer is enough to worry about. But that's more complicated than it might seem. You need to reinstall install the shorting plug in place of the four position connector. It connects two of the pins. Note that I'm assuming that the alarm was installed in the Suzuki designed method. The OEM shorting plug has probably been discarded.
From what I can see the alarm isn't even connected to the bikes electrics!? There is a little LED light on the chassis and a resistor that I'm note sure if they are standard, guessing the LED isn't - these wires go into the the wiring loom and appear to head towards the front of the bike.
(Pics attached)

The battery is new showing 12v, when the ignition is on the power going to the pump/level sensor reads 10.30v and going to the injectors 11.15v (which looking at the manual wiring diagram is on the same line)

Attachments

·
7,580 Posts
Charge the battery and find out where that alarm, or whatever, is connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charge the battery and find out where that alarm, or whatever, is connected.
Chased both back and found the alarm, the bike has two alarms.. Everything splices into the loom and nothing brakes the bikes circuits. (That resistor isn't a resistor, it's a magnetic switch)

I've put the battery on charge again and will try another battery tomorrow

I've tried again to power to the fuel pump directly but it's not powering up. Should it power up?

·
7,580 Posts
"I've tried again to power to the fuel pump directly but it's not powering up. Should it power up?"

Definitely. either by applying power at the fuel pump connector or by tripping the fuel pump relay if the fuel fuse is OK. Don't run the pump when it's dry.

I was guessing that the black box marked Hamlin was a switch. It sounds like a magnet needs to sit next to it to turn it on. Or maybe the magnet is in the box and it just needs something made of steel sitting next to it.

You really need to determine exactly how it's hooked up as it could be the source of your problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"I've tried again to power to the fuel pump directly but it's not powering up. Should it power up?"

Definitely. either by applying power at the fuel pump connector or by tripping the fuel pump relay if the fuel fuse is OK. Don't run the pump when it's dry.

I was guessing that the black box marked Hamlin was a switch. It sounds like a magnet needs to sit next to it to turn it on. Or maybe the magnet is in the box and it just needs something made of steel sitting next to it.

You really need to determine exactly how it's hooked up as it could be the source of your problems.
Thanks for your help with this - last night I stripped the pump out and tested it again directly. It was a bit of a state, lots of green gunk... I have ordered a new pump. So hopefully that'll get me back on two wheels!

Most alarms just annoy the guys throwing your bike into the back of their pickup.
In reality it probably only annoys the user

·
7,580 Posts
Green gunk sounds like water was in there for the 2+ years of sitting. Pumps don't like that at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing