Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member to this forum and glad to attend.

Just bought in a very good price a GSXR 1000 K3 and one of my friends will provide me a cylinder head with 76 mm pistons JE ( 1070 cc) in top condition/ new one

The engine / internals are in a good condition.

Valve springs will be replaced with APE, along with studs/ nuts.

Actually my goal is to build a strong engine with abt 190 hp rear wheel and have some fun occasionally using Nitrous dry spyder kit ( MPS or similar) and same not being visible to other just being placed under the seat.

Do you believe the above engine mods can handle with safe a spraying of abt 18 jets ( ie abt 45-50 hp) and as said occasionally?

Pleased to hear your views

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,

An update on the above.

Cylinder head from Gsxr 1000 k8
1070 cc upgrade cylinder kit with 76 mm JE round skirt
Valve springs and studs / nuts etc from APE
Injectors from Gsxr 1000 k8
ECU from K8

For the time being i will leave out the Nitrous but will install it later on as my budget is reducing more and more..

Galespeed wheels gold color and hypersport stabilizer will be installed.
The bike color will be matte black

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.. i have sent him a message..

Any ideas would be appreciated as i am currently at the beginning of the project.. My mechanic will start up the built end of this Month as we are currently collecting some spare parts.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

Stock internals will be fine for 190rwhp,but if you're spraying a 50hp hit on top of that,I'd suggest getting a set of Carillo H-Beam rods&replacing all main/rod bearings while you're there. You'll need to address the clutch as well,either HD springs or a lock-up to hold the power while spraying.

Also,you'll probably wanna pull some timing when you're spraying so I'd have whoever is tuning your bike make 2 dedicated maps that you can switch back&forth from when your just cruising around&when you hit the nitrous.

Best suggestion I can give is to not cut corners on quality parts. Build it to last,and it will. Good luck :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi old Gixxer,

Thanks for the comments. I am also of the opinion that do it once do it right or not do anything at all.

The fact is that this is my 2nd project and unfortunately i am running out of budget. Thus, the bearings will be replaced in Crankshaft / Rods.

Pistons will be used from JE ( round skirt ) and today i have received the Ape ( Nuts / studs) along with the Kibblewhite springs..

I will not spray over 40 hp and if later on i decide to push further then i will buy a set of Carillo rods..

2 maps will be used and tuning will be set out accordingly as bike not to get lean.

Do you think that even with 190 hp i should put some HD springs in the Clutch?? if i decide not to spray , should i also use HD springs?

Since the bike is now apart maybe it is right time to put the Carillo rods..have to think it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something last,

Have thought two different scenarios here

1/ Use rods from k9 and increase too much the compression

2/ Just replace the rods with Carillo for k4 or k8 and keep the compression at more bearable level thus being able to spray though not more than 40-50 hp..

At the 1st scenario, can i spray occasionally abt 40 hp even with such increased comp?

The spraying would be very occasionally at both scenarios

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Clutch may or may not hold with 190rwhp&stock springs;it won't hold for long of you're launching it from a dig though.

You'd be pushing your luck spraying a 40 hit with a 1070cc engine&stock rods,especially if you have some miles on the bottom end.

Increase compression and you'll be fine as long as you use the proper octane fuel and retard the timing.

Again,all my suggestions are focused on building a set-up that is safe to handle the increased power and is built to last. Either pay a little now for the right parts,or pay a lot more later when you spit a rod or burn a piston&destroy the head/block/cases.

Good luck :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks.. will order carillo rods.. just not sure whether to buy carillo for k9 and place them in my moto or buy for k4..

If with the increased compression i can spray pending on the timing ( separate map) + octane then this is not a problem for me.. i can use also octane booster to be on the very safe side..

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
If it were me,I'd use the Carillo H-Beam rods for the K3/4 and forget the K9 rods. If you want a bit more compression,shave the head.

Also,I'd wire in a window switch to cut the nitrous at a pre-determined rpm. Missing a shift and hitting the rev limiter while spraying will destroy your head and cost you quite a bit to repair.

Not a fan of octane booster,the proper octane race fuel(VP's C12 would be my choice) would be safer. Unless you don't have access to race fuel.

Keep us posted with the project,I love this shit :thumbup

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
If it were me,I'd use the Carillo H-Beam rods for the K3/4 and forget the K9 rods. If you want a bit more compression,shave the head.

Also,I'd wire in a window switch to cut the nitrous at a pre-determined rpm. Missing a shift and hitting the rev limiter while spraying will destroy your head and cost you quite a bit to repair.

Not a fan of octane booster,the proper octane race fuel(VP's C12 would be my choice) would be safer. Unless you don't have access to race fuel.

Keep us posted with the project,I love this shit :thumbup
Not to mention that the amount of octane booster to get to race fuel levels would cost more than the race fuel itself. I think there's maybe one or two octane boosters that actually boost by 10s of points, and even then it's so expensive that using race fuel or E85/E90 would be far more cost-effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi,thanks.

Usually using high octane pump gas on the bike whether there are mods or not..

The AFR will be reach under Nitrous but just to be on a safer side, would consider using some octane additive such as THORCO.

The reason i am usually not using race fuel is because i am not racing( having a few passes for 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile).. if i want to go out for a ride, i should fully load the tank and get to a highway to have some fun. So, the cost of adding 500 ml of Thorco is abt 20 $ in relation to using a fully loaded tank of race fuel.. Do you think even with 40-50 hp is it customary to use race fuel??

Further, i do not know if race fuel of that type may be commingled with pump gas.. if not, i have to switch over or consume all the race fuel.. C5 is availed here..
PS I will go for k3/4 carillo rods..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
Big Pk
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing