Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently bought a K1 1000 and I've done a lot of work on it. Recently I thought I had a bad clutch starter so I I checked it and it is fine rotates only one direction no problems there so I mounted everything back together I also changed oil and watercooling and wanted to start the bike but I only heard a click so I bought a used starter and tried again and now the bike only cranks very slowly and the battery is reading 13.3V as well as in the starter. Also changed spark plugs and cleaned the injectors and cleaned the tank and fuel filter no codes on the dash only -C00. Could it be that the used starter is also faulty? Really would like to have some insight because I can't afford a mechanic. Thanks in advance.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,561 Posts
Anything is possible but two weak starters seems unlikely. Measure the battery voltage when it cranks. You could also measure the voltage at the starter terminal. I'm thinking that one of your connections to the battery, starter, starter solenoid, or engine block (main ground) isn't tight.

You could also remove the valve timing inspection plug and try turning the engine over by hand (service manual 3-16). I don't have a torque value but if it's hard, you could try removing the plugs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I checked voltage on the starter again reads 13 something volts I guess it's good all the connections from battery solenoid have been cleaned and tightened but even when I try to jump start the bike it stills just slow cranks... Could I have tightened the bolts on the cover to much? I really don't know what to check more..

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
Pull the spark plugs out, and then unscrew the crankshaft inspection plug out of the starter clutch cover. It should only take about 20 foot pounds of torque to turn the engine over by hand clockwise with a 14mm socket and ratchet. If its considerably harder than that you could have issues with the engine. You can also pull your stator cover off and see if that makes it any easier to crank. Some people put those covers back on with silicone instead of a gasket and that doesn't work because it needs the clearance the gasket gives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I literally just did that. Used silicone instead of the gaskets.... Will remove the silicone and put the gaskets instead on Monday. Will update as soon as I can.

·
7,561 Posts
You don't want it running this way but you could remove the stator cover and try cranking it like that. You could even leave it electrically connected as long as it's clear of everything. But immediately shut it off if it starts. You're just checking to see if it cranks easier.

Beware, two of the attaching bolts use gasket washers. There's a possibility that oil may come out of them while cranking. It's probably safest if you thread the bolts into those holes to block such things. But for cranking very briefly, they just need to be threaded in by hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok.... So today I got the original gaskets of the starter cover put them on and it seems my cover is pressing the little double crank that fits in the starter clutch. Could I have a bad cover? I barely tightened it and it gets very stuck I am not sure but I think it is suppose to rotate freely. I have absolutely no ideia why this is happening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I think I have an ideia of what could be wrong. It the manual it says to replace wave washers and I didn't also there are difrent ones in the washer kit. I suppose the washer is not pushing the cover enough so the idle starter gear is getting stuck. Do I make any sense ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe it is a OEM but how can I be sure?
When I put the cover it spins fine but as soon as I barely tight the screws it gets stuck and I am almost sure it is suppose to spin freely.

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
If your engine spins freely with that cover removed you've either got an out of spec cover, incorrectly installed stator, or too thin a gasket. I doubt that the rotor of the alternator can be installed incorrectly but I guess anything is possible.

Are there missing dowel pins that slip in to the crankcase to index the cover?

Numbers 12 and 27 on this page: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3c8c4f870021958f27d8b/crankcase-cover

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No missing pins my problem is with this Gear Idle starter No2
I believe I am missing some washer or I switched the the pins. Still can't believe how much of a difference it would do.. Gona check all again and try firing it up again although I had another problem with the Oil pan.. Just cracked and I'm having it repaired Monday. I will update as soon as I have the bike ready to test it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have solved the problem with a thrust washer creating enough space for the gear idle to spin but not being to lose. It works fine but I still don't know why the oem washers didn't work properly..

·
7,561 Posts
The only thing that I see in the parts listing is that K1/K2 used a different pin and washer for the No. 2 idle gear than later years. Perhaps some later parts got mixed in yours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
3 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing