Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your resposible, and mature enough to respect the bike and build gradually on your experience, yes it's feasible, everyones tendency to say no is due to the fact that this bike will eat you alive if you make a mistake and the 600/750's are more forgiving. in reality its just as easy to kill yourself on a 600. just be responsible and you'll be ok, but also remember this bike is a monster and has stupid amounts of power.

·
Registered
135 Posts
lokylom said:
If your resposible, and mature enough to respect the bike and build gradually on your experience, yes it's feasible, everyones tendency to say no is due to the fact that this bike will eat you alive if you make a mistake and the 600/750's are more forgiving. in reality its just as easy to kill yourself on a 600. just be responsible and you'll be ok, but also remember this bike is a monster and has stupid amounts of power.
I completely agree

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem is not really the big power on the GIXXER 1000 because it will make you more cautios because it also feels fast. The problems most beginners have are that thay underestimate the speed they are doing, and this can happen even on the GSXR 600, so just be careful if you buy it. I would say buy it, but before you go flying on breakfast runs, go do a couple of track schools. You will learn a lot and learn to respect the 1000. Have fun

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree with the posts that urge caution. My first bike was a 1974 Yam RD350. Although based on a small two-cyl, two-stroke motor, it was quite a handful to learn on. I believe that good riding and control skills, including throttle control, and good damn sense is what's required to survive on any bike. Next I bought a 1980 Suzuki GS1100ET. With the basic skills for survival down pat, throttle control was the issue when first learning to control this bike. I also attended an MSF school with this bike. Before long, I was carving up the undercarriage on the GS.
Now the GSXR 1K - she is a speed whore - pull her trigger to tight and she'll put you flat on your back. Worse, get too greedy in turns without the proper skill and she'll flick you off the high side leaving you with a wadded up piece of @!*&
So my two cents is this: if you don't have the required skill yet, you have to know that you have the good sense not to ride beyond your skill - (over-) respect this bike! In the meantime, if you buy it, get thee to a riding school young man, and from there, enjoy this exceptional bike as you grow into it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could get the 1000! Just be careful.. The power delivery on the 2003 1000 is so smooth.. You'll work into it..

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anyone that says it is more dangerous than other bikes is full of crap. More people have been killed on those older mid-eighties bikes than our more modern bikes. If you ask alot of these more experienced riders what they learned to ride on you will find that thier earlier experiences were on bikes that are considered death traps by todays standards. I will get flamed for this but I think the smooth powerband of a gix 1000 is better suited than the high more narrow powerband of smaller engined bikes. My first bike (1980 Suzuki GS 750 E) was a big, heavy (600 lbs), poorly suspended, poorly braked,and powerless. My life flashed before my eyes many times on that bike. PEOPLE get killed on 600s. Giving enough time 600s will be runing like a 1000 and they will be considered entry level. This is a progressive sport. As someone already said a risk taker is a risk taker no matter what size bike they have.
Buy the 1000 and LEARN to ride it. Most people who ride a Gix 1000 are only pretending to know how to ride it. Your goal and our goal should be the same, stay alive, stay safe, and have fun.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Jim Hurd said:
Anyone that says it is more dangerous than other bikes is full of crap. More people have been killed on those older mid-eighties bikes than our more modern bikes. If you ask alot of these more experienced riders what they learned to ride on you will find that thier earlier experiences were on bikes that are considered death traps by todays standards. I will get flamed for this but I think the smooth powerband of a gix 1000 is better suited than the high more narrow powerband of smaller engined bikes. My first bike (1980 Suzuki GS 750 E) was a big, heavy (600 lbs), poorly suspended, poorly braked,and powerless. My life flashed before my eyes many times on that bike. PEOPLE get killed on 600s. Giving enough time 600s will be runing like a 1000 and they will be considered entry level. This is a progressive sport. As someone already said a risk taker is a risk taker no matter what size bike they have.
Buy the 1000 and LEARN to ride it. Most people who ride a Gix 1000 are only pretending to know how to ride it. Your goal and our goal should be the same, stay alive, stay safe, and have fun.
You said it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I purchased my 03 1k back in October. I had an SV650 as my first bike in the states. I started on a Honda CBR 400 in Japan. I though the SV650 was a big power gain over the CBR but man.... the GSXR 1000 is a powerful machine. I'm 37 and I seem to have control of this monster... but I find myself just wanting to give the throttle a quick twist sometimes. Be careful, there is a lot of power and all it takes is a stupid mistake or one dumb driver. But than again that's always the case.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One of the best responses to the age old question to date.

·
Registered
763 Posts
1000's cost more to insure because people wreck 'em more. Plain and simple. You also don't learn as fast on 'em as, say, a 750. Plain and simple. But I am agreeing that in the right hands there isn't much about the bike that can't be handled, because throttle is a voluntary choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi make no mistake that tool you have bought is unbelievably stupidly insanely fast!!! but it will only go as fast as you twist that throttle(which incase i never mentioned it is fast with a capital F!!) just take your time which believe me is very hard to do and you will be ok i'm i big lad and the bike handles brill even on stock suspension and settings.Just throw the bike in to corners and feel it grip excellent!.see ya on the flip side mother fcuker!! happy riding
jamie

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a question for current GSXR 1000 owners. Would this bike be feasable as a first sport bike? I was leaning towards getting 750 but stumbled into a GREAT deal on a 1000 with only 300 miles on it. I've never owned a bike yet, but have spent some time riding friends bikes before. Would this be a insane purchase for someone with "maybe 500 miles" experience on a motorcycle? Thanks for any advice.
Don't do it . You will die . I've been riding bikes for 35 years I have a ninja 650 a Harley fatboy and a gsxr 1009... the GSXR 1000 is a complete different animal. In fact I read a lot of forums where Street racers have said that they don't know how they are even street legal. Seriously dude get a Ninja 650 if that. It's a faster than f*** by two but a lot easier to learn how to ride on but I would suggest actually a something smaller. The throttle response and the 1000 is completely insane f*** you think we'll pull Willie's in every gear .zero to a hundred in five seconds... plus it's a very heavy bike and is very hard to ride especially if you don't know how to ride motorcycles I swear to God you will die dude I'm not even kidding there's always going to be a good deal man but seriously do your friends and family in yourself a favor. Don't do it. Check out the Ninja 650 it's fast in spunky but I find it easier to ride. You're sitting up a little bit more of the handlebars and comfortable it's a comfortable bike I love the f*** out of my Ninja 650. I just happen to be completely insane and I've had seriously 35+years experience on bikes. Also I'll tell you one thing I grew up riding dirt bikes my whole life,but getting out there with traffic, shitty drivers ect.scary. I live in New Mexico right now every time I ride I almost get killed. Take a safety class to get a light bike it Enduro learn how to write it how to control the throttle s*** like that. I hate seeing people die on bikes.. and that's exactly where you're setting yourself up for on a GSXR 1000 with no experience.
I have a question for current GSXR 1000 owners. Would this bike be feasable as a first sport bike? I was leaning towards getting 750 but stumbled into a GREAT deal on a 1000 with only 300 miles on it. I've never owned a bike yet, but have spent some time riding friends bikes before. Would this be a insane purchase for someone with "maybe 500 miles" experience on a motorcycle? Thanks for any advice.
no s***

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't do it. There's a million reasons why not to f** do it. Number 1 is if you want to live. Is totally unresponsive on f*** up for somebody even tell you to do it or to try to sell you that ..if a dealer was selling you a 1000 as a first bike gear should be shot. Need to learn how to ride. Before you get on something like that especially out in traffic swear to god dude. I hate seeing people die on bikes that's exactly what you're setting yourself up for no f**** s*. I have one but I've been t riding for 35 years, I'm insane and sucidal . You need something like a Ninja 650 or less. You need to learn the basics there's so much you gotta learn don't f**** do it go take a safety course with a small bike then figure out what you want. don't jump on a 1000 unless you want to die. anybody that tells you different is a f** stupid dick and they don't give a fuk about you so f*** them

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
45 Participants
Nightbat®
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing