Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for current GSXR 1000 owners. Would this bike be feasable as a first sport bike? I was leaning towards getting 750 but stumbled into a GREAT deal on a 1000 with only 300 miles on it. I've never owned a bike yet, but have spent some time riding friends bikes before. Would this be a insane purchase for someone with "maybe 500 miles" experience on a motorcycle? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i've ridden motorcycles since i was 4 and streetbikes since i was 17... my 04 1K is the first bike i was truely scared of when i first rode it... my last bike was a hopped up 03 954 and even with 3 up on the rear spocket the power delivery on the gixxer is still insane to me... if ur responsible and can respect what the bike can do go for it, but if ur not careful u WILL get hurt

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: GSXR 1000 as a first bike? *DELETED*

Post deleted by fitpays

·
Registered
486 Posts
Don't do it. You will make it harder for yourself to learn good basic riding skills by going with a 1000 for your first bike. You will be in terrified mode everytime you use the throttle and probably not able to focus on much else.
Do yourself a favor and get a used 600. Don't worry about looks, it will more than likely end up on the ground fairly soon. I don't know many of my riding buddies that haven't set their pride and joy over on it's side at least once!!!
You have got to learn to crawl before you walk.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
yes, totally insane. I have been riding motorcycles and four-wheelers for over 20 years. in '01 i got my first street bike, a Gix 750. A year later, I hit a deer, totaled it, didn't like the new colors, so I got a 1000. With the limited experience you have, I would stay away from this bike. The throttle works both ways, but this is by no means a learning platform. This bike is not forgiving in the least. For example: For whatever reason, you make a bad decision, due to lack of judement and inexperience. Animals run in the street, car pulls out in front of you, whatever. Instead of using the fundamentals a good rider had developed, you pucker and nail the throttle. On a 1000, you are going to loop it, or slingshot your self off of the thing. Smaller bikes are by no means slackers, and they are much more forgivng of new riders. Not to mention things like insurance. Liter bike insurance is not as cheap as smaller bikes, which might lead you to have reduced coverage. My advice is to get all of the insurance you can, never carry the minimum. I would hold out and find a good 750. They are still strong bikes, but definately better for learners. More so than a 1000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble.... but it's better and safer to get a smaller bike to learn on then jump to your 1K after years and years of riding experience not just 500 miles....

I know a few friends that bought 1K and R1's as their first bike and don't ride because they are scared of it....

Personally I learned on a buddy's CBR 600 F4i, then bought a 99' GSX-R 750 - Then jumped to my 01' GSX-R 1000...

Be safe...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
IF the bike is such a great deal buy it and resell it. Don't ride it, but if you do I'll send you my SS# to put me as your beneficiary. This is so not a bike to learn skills on even if you live thru the first couple of wrecks. You will benifit so much more from a bike like a SV-650. Good luck with what ever you decide

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I've been really hesitant to buy this bike based on what I think may be too much bike for me. I'm VERY experienced on motocross bikes and I am 34 years old, so I wasn't exactly born last night. However, as a adult I am no longer as daring as I used to be and I believe I can ride the 1000 in a responsible manner. But as Will186 stated it's the non-forgiving nature of the 1000 that has me worried. When the unexpected does happen, I could easily become panicked and end up in a serious wreck.
It's just that this guy I know selling his 1000 needs cash fast and the price is incredible. Hell, I could even sell it and make $1000!!
In the few serious replies I already received, I think the advice speaks for itself. I should hold off and buy what I was initially interested in. A 750 or even a NEW 600.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
cellardweller said:
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I've been really hesitant to buy this bike based on what I think may be too much bike for me. I'm VERY experienced on motocross bikes and I am 34 years old, so I wasn't exactly born last night. However, as a adult I am no longer as daring as I used to be and I believe I can ride the 1000 in a responsible manner. But as Will186 stated it's the non-forgiving nature of the 1000 that has me worried. When the unexpected does happen, I could easily become panicked and end up in a serious wreck.
It's just that this guy I know selling his 1000 needs cash fast and the price is incredible. Hell, I could even sell it and make $1000!!
In the few serious replies I already received, I think the advice speaks for itself. I should hold off and buy what I was initially interested in. A 750 or even a NEW 600.
Sometimes, when I see posts like this, i automatically think "18 yr old out of high school with no riding experience" I apologize for profiling. Now that you stated your age and vast experience on dirt bikes, i would still say go for the 750. My experience also came from dirt bikes, and I started on a 750, and it was by no means too much of a bike. Alot of riding skills actually come from the dirt
All youll need is a little acclimation to the new bike, and you'll be golden

·
Registered
334 Posts
when the 900rr came out in 93 it was the new standard and now the new gixxer 600's would put it to shame... bikes are evolving at such a rapid pace an open classer isn't what it use to be

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a friend that loved my 03 1K so much he bought one. He has only had dirt bikes before and I thought he was crazy for him to start with a 1K, but so far so good (2,500 miles). I would say it's all in the person. He is only 21 but rides safe and wears gear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
my opinion,if you have $ to blow,get the 750.but if i were you,i'd get the 1k.becouse in the near future you'll want the 1k.you'll take a bath when you trade it in.remember the throttle works both ways.get what you want.either way be careful.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some people will kill themselves on any kind of sport bike. Some respect the power enough not to get hurt. Some fall in between, and give into temptation, which on a bike like the 1000 can lead to very bad things. Use your head, and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts