Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Maybe someone out there with a similar fault on GSXR 1000 2018, When i leave the bike in a parking for a while at a shopping center or that in direct sunlight and it gets a bit hot, when riding the bike afterwards it jerks , Its goes ok and revs, then cuts out - like it has a flat spot and will not rev - then makes contact? or Gets fuel then revs again, this is continuously, had to ride say 50 Km to get home like this , its consistent, revs for about 30 Seconds the flat spot for the same duration. If you open the throttle full when doing this the motor just splutters. Did have the bike serviced and told Suzuki about the error , but alas intermittent problem and no resolve. The weird thing is if i ride the bike tomorrow and it has not stood in the sun and heated up - then it will ride fine - no problems?

Any ideas to check for most welcome please.

Best Regards
Richard

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's VERY strange... I would start checking under the seat and where something (under fairings) that could be in direct sunlight or just under something that is in direct sunlight due to you saying it's after sitting in the sun but that could just be because it's hot... Almost sounded as if it's a timing and or fuel issue, definitely another place to start... Check for loose wires and or connections... I highly doubt sitting in the sun is causing your issue... I may be totally wrong but I would say it's definitely in the fuel system causing your problem...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's VERY strange... I would start checking under the seat and where something (under fairings) that could be in direct sunlight or just under something that is in direct sunlight due to you saying it's after sitting in the sun but that could just be because it's hot... Almost sounded as if it's a timing and or fuel issue, definitely another place to start... Check for loose wires and or connections... I highly doubt sitting in the sun is causing your issue... I may be totally wrong but I would say it's definitely in the fuel system causing your problem...
Appreciate the comments, is a bit strange - was thinking maybe one of the pickup sensors somewhere ? guess i will have to to a search and check and see what could get heated . Going on breakfast run tomorrow and will check and see if it happens again? Was like this before and no problems - today again left the bike in the sun - and yip back again?

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's cool! Sorry I didn't have anything good for you but sounds like your going in the right direction... Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's cool! Sorry I didn't have anything good for you but sounds like your going in the right direction... Good luck!
Hi There, As predicted - got back from breakfast run this morning and no issues with the bike again?Guess i will have to put sun block on the bike when it stands in the sun:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is yours an R model? ABS light ever come on?
Hi There g8sxxr

The model i have is not the R Model, But this side it comes standard with the kicker selector , so the same as R model except the upgraded shocks.
The traction and ABS controls all seem fine. The ABS functionality also working fine, use the bike to work, whole week no problems?

·
Registered
14 Posts
check to make sure your VIN does not require the ABS "recall" "repair bulletin" "customer satisfaction recall", that replaces the IMU. It was mainly due to loss of ABS and the light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
check to make sure your VIN does not require the ABS "recall" "repair bulletin" "customer satisfaction recall", that replaces the IMU. It was mainly due to loss of ABS and the light.
Hi There

Was unaware of this , will check with the Suzuki dealer this side - appreciate the info

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Guys
Maybe someone out there with a similar fault on GSXR 1000 2018, When i leave the bike in a parking for a while at a shopping center or that in direct sunlight and it gets a bit hot, when riding the bike afterwards it jerks , Its goes ok and revs, then cuts out - like it has a flat spot and will not rev - then makes contact? or Gets fuel then revs again, this is continuously, had to ride say 50 Km to get home like this , its consistent, revs for about 30 Seconds the flat spot for the same duration. If you open the throttle full when doing this the motor just splutters. Did have the bike serviced and told Suzuki about the error , but alas intermittent problem and no resolve. The weird thing is if i ride the bike tomorrow and it has not stood in the sun and heated up - then it will ride fine - no problems?
Any ideas to check for most welcome please.
Best Regards
Richard
Richard (a little rundown before I attempt to try to answer),,
I bought my GSX-R1000L8 new, one year ago - Jan 2019. I started the bike, went to take off and soon noticed that the throttle, the clutch and front brake lever all had a mile of slack in them (you know,, where you have to keep opening or squeezing or releasing until they grab or take up that slack), so much so that I kind of got all out of coordination when I left the bike shop, and nearly stalled the bike because of no throttle and no clutch bite, so I twisted the throttle more and the revs nearly went through the roof and the slipper clutch suddenly bit and launched me. The corner onto the main road was only a few metres ahead of me now and I was now flying toward it, so I suddenly needed to try out the front brakes, but the brake lever had so much play in it that by the time they actually bit, it was a semi panic braking but I soon found out just how good the brakes were/are. I must have looked like a fool in front of everyone. Then it was time to take off again onto the main road, ok this time I had the measure of the clutch but that throttle again surprised me and as I turned onto the road, I nearly ran wide and into a parked car because I was flying again. This happened many more times before I got home. That throttle was so jerky that it really was hard to control in first and second at lower to moderate revs. It just wanted to take off all the time, then when I released the throttle it felt like I was going to fly over the handlebars.. I thought to myself "I know this bike has got some power but this is ridiculous. It's virtually unrideable around town". As soon as I got home I fixed it. I took most of the slack or free play out of all three of these, back to my normal set up,,

1. The throttle - which now starts revving after only a tiny bit of twisting
2. The front brake lever - which now has only a tiny bit of free travel before beginning to bite
3. The clutch lever - which now starts to bite very early in its release travel. There's still quite a bit of end free play after I am moving and have let the lever go but so what. It feels so much better now.

The jerkiness of the bikes engine was almost totally due to the throttle slack in my case, and having to twist / release / twist / release to compensate for that slack at certain revs in the lower gears. Now that I have total control over the throttle, that problem was just a "first day of ownership hassle", and no more...!!! There is also another way to ease up throttle sensitivity on this bike. Get a throttle tamer. These come out standard on the GSX-S1000 and the new Katana - both of which have older GSX-R engines in them and if you think you have a jerkiness problem, you should see those bikes. Their tamers will go straight on the GSX-R. My brother says on his GSX-S, it was like a riding in a rodeo, until he got the tamer. I tried one too but I didn't really like the feel of it so I went back to standard..
Hope you get it fixed...
By the way, this sort of thing also happens to many other bikes today...!!!

Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts