Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody
I have a bike just for one year and i noticed while crusing 90-100 km/h (60mph) on open road engine temperature is about 58-60 celzius (about 140 F.)
Outside air was about 20c (68 F.)
Is this normal or i have bad termostat?
When i am in town, temperature goes to 105c (220 F.) and fun kicks in.
Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Come on guys this is a great question!!!!!!
Hello Stolegixer,
I don't know the answer to the question. But my 05gsx1000, in about the same temperature, runs around 145 degrees farenheit.
I don't have trouble with mine getting to hot in traffic, I put a switch on it, to turn the fan on before it gets hot.
I used to have trouble with it getting hot in traffic, the fan didn't come on until 221 degrees, too hot for me.
( hopefully one of the smarter guys will get on here and let us know if we are running too cool)
Have a good one cool rider???

·
Registered
73 Posts
In summer on any warm day, say from 26 - 32C (79 - 90F) and under the same speeds as you, my L8 seems to run at about 83 - 85 C (181 - 185F). If you go a little faster (anywhere up to about 160kph - 100mph) it may cool down a little by a couple of degrees. If you ride around town (only ever taking in for 1st service) it gets a little warmer by up to 5 - 7C+ degrees but If you stop for more than a few seconds, it rises quickly to just over boiling point, then the fans kick in and bring it right back down. I don't think I've ever ridden in temperatures below what I've stated above. Does it cool down a little when you go faster, maybe 130 - 160kph (80 - 100mph).? Personally, I don't think you need to start worrying just yet.
Al

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,136 Posts
I haven't checked but suspect that you have the same 180 °F thermostat that my K6 has. If so, 140 °F is too cold, cold enough to suggest that it's always open. The service manual shows how to check it. Note the position of the jiggle valve. Condensate will tend to build up in the crankcase at that temperature.

Having said that, I seem to recall some funnyness with K9 temperatures that might be associated with the temperature sensor location. If you have an infrared temperature gun, you could check the coolant outlet on the head to see if the displayed temperature is correct.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm going to have to figure out what that jiggle valve is. A couple things that might make it run cooler, I have never had lower plastic, and I run engine ice, coolant, and I have the exhuast wrapped, on the front down tubes. I have seen condensate in the oil window, in the winter, when I didn't ride it long enough to warm it up all the way.
Thank you, have a good one ???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts