Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
More faffing with the clocks. The bike had three blown bulbs, which naturally turned out to be three different types. Then it was on to the temperature gauge. When I had the bike out for a quick run pre-disassembly, I noticed that the needle moved only slightly off the stop. Possibilities:
1) The engine wasn't up to temp - well, it was a pretty cold day. Seems unlikely the needle wouldn't get anywhere near the middle of the dial though.
2) Temp sender is bust.
3) Temp gauge is bust.

The last one is easy enough to check. Disconnect the connector from the loom (below), then run a jump wire from the black/green wire coming out of the loom, to a ground (or the negative terminal). The gauge should swing up to high. And it did... so that ain't the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I always think you can tell a lot about the life a bike's had by looking at the horn. They're made of crap metal, with crap paint, so on a bike that's had a hard life or been neglected, they will be a rusty mess. So mine doesn't look too bad for a 25 year old bike...

...but I thought it could do with a bit of TLC. Cleaned up nicely on the wire wheel, and a quick respray.

No, you are not seeing double - this bike has two horns. I find this mystifying, given that back in the early/mid 90s Suzuki was desperately trying to shed weight from the lardy GSXR in the face of lightweight competition from the likes of the Fireblade. These two honkers weigh in at a hefty 600 grams with their brackets. I had a look at the parts fiche, and only one horn is shown. Anyone else got a pair of hooters?
Jock

21 - 22 of 22 Posts