Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The cleaning, Scratching and sanding seems never end...
But bit by bit piece by piece the project is progressing

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Chassis have been sent for powder coating to Tenerife and won’t be back in until next week (hopefully).
Pistons and cylinder sent for bigger bore.

Wait
Wait
Wait Jan
Be patient🤬

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Both old and new fork triple clamps ready
Some how they just send me “one” oem fork new leg, and they haven’t told me the delivery time for the other unit..

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Parts under preparing and some back from powder coating

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Tenerife???? Are you a Spaniard?
Hi Luckowiski
Im Swedish but I have been living in Canary Islands since I was 15, now I’m at Gran Canaria.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
El
Wow what a project ! Good for you taking on one munted motorcycle. It's hard to believe someone could abuse such an awesome bike and let it get to such a shit state. I have had a slabbie since 2004 love it. Here's a photo for you as a bit of encouragement !. Go for it you have my full respect, there is FA off these beautiful machines around.
Cheers
Downunder Dude

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi Downunder Dude
I’m actually making my bike red/black as well, The gixxers is all white/blue over her where I live.
And to be honest I’m already thinking of next slabby and how to make that one, This can be a beginning of a small collection...
I like the lightness, shape of the fuel tank and chassis at this bikes

·
Registered
11 Posts
El
Wow what a project ! Good for you taking on one munted motorcycle. It's hard to believe someone could abuse such an awesome bike and let it get to such a shit state. I have had a slabbie since 2004 love it. Here's a photo for you as a bit of encouragement !. Go for it you have my full respect, there is FA off these beautiful machines around.
Cheers
Downunder Dude

·
Registered
11 Posts
El
Sorry Bro sent same message twice what a Nube!
I was asking around a general question about my slabby's DNA because it was imported from Japan to NZ as a secondhand import and was registered as 1986 G model, but I checked all frame number catalogue, in my Haynes owners workshop manual.
( absolute bible for doing any work on Bikes) and my number is 101143 which makes it a 1985 F model !. Your number looks like 111276 which appears to make it a 1986 G model ( in case you didn't know)
You obviously possess good skills, evident in the job you are turning out keep up good work !

P.S I know soda blasting is preferable to bead blasting for small parts, but have you heard of lazer etching for cleaning up components. It is that precise it can be calibrated to remove so many microns of paint top coats and leave primer coat behind !
Cheers
D.D

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
El
Sorry Bro sent same message twice what a Nube!
I was asking around a general question about my slabby's DNA because it was imported from Japan to NZ as a secondhand import and was registered as 1986 G model, but I checked all frame number catalogue, in my Haynes owners workshop manual.
( absolute bible for doing any work on Bikes) and my number is 101143 which makes it a 1985 F model !. Your number looks like 111276 which appears to make it a 1986 G model ( in case you didn't know)
jap market GSXR's are the easiest to date have a frame number that starts with GR71 followed be the year F=85 G=86 etc.
the rest of the world bike started with GR75A- and according to the Suzuki parts book the the first World market 85 bike was GR75A-100001 and the 86 bike started with GR75A-107368.
the Haynes manual does not cover the jap market frame numbers.
both of our (mine and sons) 85's are registed in NZ as 87 bikes, mine being a NZ new bike and Chris's being a jap import, I do have a frame GR71F100034 hanging in the garage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Is that a Raptor 1000?
Yes you’re right it’s a Raptor but with:
Gixxer forks
Aprilia RSV swingarm
Öhlins at rear
Home made sub frame, seat and seat cover
TLR forged rids & pistons
Dynojet
Etc....

The black one is a SV650 with Ducati forks and brakes ets..

It’s my mountain toy

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
jap market GSXR's are the easiest to date have a frame number that starts with GR71 followed be the year F=85 G=86 etc.
the rest of the world bike started with GR75A- and according to the Suzuki parts book the the first World market 85 bike was GR75A-100001 and the 86 bike started with GR75A-107368.
the Haynes manual does not cover the jap market frame numbers.
both of our (mine and sons) 85's are registed in NZ as 87 bikes, mine being a NZ new bike and Chris's being a jap import, I do have a frame GR71F100034 hanging in the garage.
Hi Karitane Pete
Wow you sound like the kind of bloke I've been looking for, very knowledgeable on Slabbies ! I have been trying to work out my bikes DNA and history prior to 92 when it was imported to N.Z.
My full frame number is GR71G 101143 So the Haines manual gave me a bum steer thinking the number made it a F, but your info about Japs using different numbering system explains everything. I must admit I was confused letter G designation contradicted number. Cheers mate !
Maybe you can shed light on this:
1) Livery is red and white (can see traces of blue inside fairing)
2) Appears to have factory fitted Yoshimura 4 into 1 exhaust. Mounting bracket stamped with number. Photos found on line match Yoshi special, but my bikes has white wheels and Duo posta seat. Confused I am ! Has fuel gauge in instrument cluster as well. Someone suggested that the Japanese tool around with their bikes more than we do, so maybe I have a mixture of different versions. I was not aware so many versions were made of one incredible motorcycle. Have attached several photos love to hear your opinion. Thank you.
Cheers
D.D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Hi Karitane Pete
Wow you sound like the kind of bloke I've been looking for, very knowledgeable on Slabbies ! I have been trying to work out my bikes DNA and history prior to 92 when it was imported to N.Z.
My full frame number is GR71G 101143 So the Haines manual gave me a bum steer thinking the number made it a F, but your info about Japs using different numbering system explains everything. I must admit I was confused letter G designation contradicted number. Cheers mate !
Maybe you can shed light on this:
1) Livery is red and white (can see traces of blue inside fairing)
2) Appears to have factory fitted Yoshimura 4 into 1 exhaust. Mounting bracket stamped with number. Photos found on line match Yoshi special, but my bikes has white wheels and Duo posta seat. Confused I am ! Has fuel gauge in instrument cluster as well. Someone suggested that the Japanese tool around with their bikes more than we do, so maybe I have a mixture of different versions. I was not aware so many versions were made of one incredible motorcycle. Have attached several photos love to hear your opinion. Thank you.
Cheers
D.D
yep its a G (1986), jap market 750 from 85 to 87 have the two piece set, the 87 has the forks from the limited model with the electric anti dives.
the yoshy exhaust wont be factory, the jap exhaust is restricted so on goes the yoshy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Karitane Pete
Thanks for info, very interesting. I have owned it since 2004 and It was my main ride until I got the Ducati about 5 years ago, you know with the rip off we pay for motorbike rego we pay in NZ, bikes tend to stay on hold for a while. It has 74,000 km on it and as you can tell pretty good condition. When I have taken for occasional fang, still amazed how a bike built in the mid 80s handles so well.

I binned my 1200 GS on the way to Burt Munroe meet last year, in a wash out between Raglan and Kawhia, broke my ankle and even though rode bike back to Auckland, it was written off ( replaced with later watercooled version. Much improved on earlier model) So can't ride dirt bikes anymore sold CRF 250. "Sturmbannführer " wife suggests it time to cull the road fleet as well ! and while agreeing we do have to downsize, it's hard ! I had considered selling Slabby, and a mate that races GS 1000 in Post Classics, had a buyer lined up, but they seem to go for much higher quid overseas then NZ. So F..K it ! I might just strip it and rebuild to brand new condition. It would be a good project to do with my son. Hope parts are still available. Thanks Mate.
Regards
D.D

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
18 Participants
Downunder Dude
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing