Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. From another thread about setting up race shift others indicated there is what looks like a common issue with the Quick Shift feature. That is a few of us have experienced a situation that when shifting up the engine will loose power for an extended time. This is a very intermittent issues. For me it has happened about 5 times in 700 miles typically shift from 2-3 and 3-4. I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread just for this as a few others have reported this to Suzuki and hopefully a fix will be found. So far this bike has been awesome except for this intermittent tissue. I took mine to the dealer and explained this to them and point them towards this forum. I am hoping if we get enough people talking about it Suzuki can focus on a fix. If you have experience this issue please tell us about it and if there are any consistencies for how this is happening. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed today that the TC light comes on when it happens. Sometimes I wonder if it would wheelie a bit if the power didn't cut

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed today that the TC light comes on when it happens. Sometimes I wonder if it would wheelie a bit if the power didn't cut
When it does it on me it's been under 6k rpm and since it's a 2-3 shift there not much chance it thinks it's mitigating a wheelie or slippage. For me it's a 3-5 second power loss or bog. Very intermittent. My TC is set to 5. I've experienced the system managing traction loss and wheelies and for me this issue is not the same. Thanks for commenting. I'll be watching for the TC light next time, which is difficult with the intermittent nature of it. I am sure hoping others comment on this if they are having the issue so we can point dealers and Suzuki to this thread. Th more info we can provide them the sooner they will be able to fix it.

Thanks Again !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked up my bike today from the dealer who performed the first maintenance at 750 miles. I asked them to look at this issue and as I expected they attempted to reproduce e it and decided they could not so they did nothing. I asked them to review this forum and they indicated they did. The work order said they tested the quick shift feature 230 times with out a failure. I wish they would have reported it to Suzuki. If others are having this issue please tell your story here so we can get the dealers and Suzuki to see it is not just mine doing this or just my imagination.
I rode it about 40 miles without experiencing the issue, I hope it will just go away on it's own but I know these things don't just go away.

·
Thick skin setting engaged
122 Posts
I feel like mine only does it on the 5-6 shift at low RPM and when I am very slow in the click up and release. I can't reproduce it everytime myself either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel like mine only does it on the 5-6 shift at low RPM and when I am very slow in the click up and release. I can't reproduce it everytime myself either.
Interesting. For me it most usually happens between gears 2-3 and 3-4, at about 50% throttle. I have probably experienced it 25 times in 1200 miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi new to this forum, I've noticed the same issue with a delay on upshifting between 5 and 6 gear. Also have had the bike go into neutral when changing from 1 to 2 gear under moderate acceleration after doing this find it almost impossible to get a gear even when using clutch ( once had to pull over and stop as no gear). The autoblipper seems very hit and miss . Also noticed when cruising yesterday at 20mph with constant throttle bike rev was pulsing for about 10s until I accelerated. Bike due 1st service next week so will be interested in what they say. I love the bike pity about these glitches be interested in what you think

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you have a few warranty issues to have them fix. I had one neutral shift but I know it was me with a lazy distracted shift. I haven't had the other issues your talking about. The only issue I'm having is the quick shift and the motor boging longer than it should. I have had it happen one since i got it back fro the first maintenance. Maybe if they fix yours it may be a cause to the rest of us. Keep us informed. I agree this is a great bike. I had an 05 Busa and I am really liking this bike. Good luck - let us know what happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi just picked my bike up after 1st service and investigation into QS problems . They said my problems where due to a rediculously loose drive chain . They said they noticed slack chains due to chain stretch on the new gsxr 1000 when they come in for their first service. Ride home was perfect no issues at all. Perhaps chain not upto job ?? I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've Never had this problem with 2000 miles showing on the bike, but my TC is 2 or 3 and QS is set in 1 mode. I don't use it under 6500 rpms, mostly in the power moving purposely. Chain tension is always important.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I noticed a loner delay yesterday. This occured on lazy shifts where I did not move the lever enough to get to the next gear. I had been riding my ZX10 and the shift length on it is shorter so a few times I just didn't push far enough and it felt like the bike hesitated longer. Also, the bike did not go to the next gear.

Also, I. Ever qs 1-2 or 2 - 1. The chance for error and missed shifts are much higher. I avoid the qs under normal riding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a question on downshifting. It is ok to downshift while applying power ? It downshifts well when the throttle is closed and I have downshifted a few times with the throttle opened a bit for time when either passing someone or other situation. My understanding is the quick shifter should be able to do this with out issue but I haven't done it a lot.

Just question. Rode yesterday and had no pregnant power pauses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I posted on the 23rd I have not had any quick shifter issues yet. It been working very well. Not sure why it's been ok so far but I like. But again I am wondering about down shifting with the throttle open making power. Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update: It seems this problem happens in any gear when the throttle which is being applied changes over the time which the quickshifter is trying to work. For instance, if I shift gears and simultaneously twist my wrist rapidly, the bike gets upset and there is a momentary cut of power as the TC is set off. If I keep the throttle steady or keep it at WOT, no problems seem to occur.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: It seems this problem happens in any gear when the throttle which is being applied changes over the time which the quickshifter is trying to work. For instance, if I shift gears and simultaneously twist my wrist rapidly, the bike gets upset and there is a momentary cut of power as the TC is set off. If I keep the throttle steady or keep it at WOT, no problems seem to occur.
I'll give that a try. Maybe I got trained to not move it during shifts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, Thats it. When increasing throttle with intention while shifting up it does it. I made it happen 5 times on the way home from work. I will mention to the Suzuki dealer. I wonder if Suzuki will release a software upgrade and address this, I suspect not unless they hear about it from a lot of owners.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
About this Discussion
111 Replies
41 Participants
GSXRISSA
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing