Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I finally had a chance to drop off my K2 for a new weapon of my choice. I used to work at this shop, & am getting a killer deal on either of the aformentioned bikes. What I'd like to know from those of you who have ridden both, or who 'OWN' both...are they like apples to oranges? What are there biggest differences (I've sat on both, but all I get is the ergonomic feel)? Which excels where? Any mechanical problems from either? I have read about the rumors of the frame issues with the K5, & know about the wheel recall on the 10R, but what else should I be concerned with? I have ridden my buddies 04 10R w/a full Akropovic exhaust w/a Power Commander, & that f*cker was wild! Thanks for any info.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
There are no frame issues with the K5 unless you run it into a wall at 100 mph. My guess is if that happens the condition of the frame will be the least of your woes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same thing. the way I figured, was that somebody had an incident, typed it up & the world freaked out. Any info for me about the 10R?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Not really, never rode one, only sat on it and it much less comfortable for me than the K5 was. It's got a twitchy front end. The K5 has much more midrange grunt which is where I tend to ride in that RPM range.

If anything I'd say at this point wait a few months and see what Kawi will offer up with their revised 2006 ZX-10R. There's some pics floating around the internet of the 06 10R

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed the twitchy front end when I rode my friends. I've not felt that sh*t since I got rid of my R1 lol. The 10R is a very peaky machine, & I noticed that even my K2 had a bit for lowend. It felt like it did anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
from reading reviews out of TWO the english bike magazine they described the 10R's power curve as being stepped, like stairs. They said that it was hard to try and keep extreemely smooth becuase as you were rolling the throttle on out of a turn it would all of a sudden give more power in a jolt and then again and it wasn't the smooth output as the gixxer. personally I like the 10R and had a chance to buy it but chose the gixxer instead. I'm etreemely happy, never ridden the 10R and I'm sure it's sweet too but I just like everything about the gixxer except for the fine vibes in the bars and pegs that put my throttle hand to sleep sometimes. The 10R has been described as feeling like it's alive becuase of the way it produces insane power but I bought the HP/torque curve, not last years beast. I don't know if you have seen the torque of the 05 gixxer on a dyno sheet but down low nothing comes close and that's where you want it for the street when your not up high in the rev rage doing 150 in 4th on your street. You know, you are just going to have to buy what makes you feel right. They are both extreemely capable and I would ride either (currently own the 05 1k) proudly. In fact I originally went to the shop to buy the 10R but they had a 05 1K blue and white sitting there and after I sat on it put the deposit there and rode it off a couple days later. It was fate and I'm pleased with the outcome. The integrated gear indicator has helped so many times I can't count. It's true that I'm dependent on it now and no longer count my gears in my head but it sure is great to know I can just look down before a turn and know EXACTLY what gear I'm in even if I miscounted. The gixxer is a representation of the latest and greatest in street sportbike technology (other than the Ducati 999R but we can only dream!).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that post. It helps me out a lot. I think I am pretty much sold on the Gixxer. Now, all I have to do is decide if I want an '06 color scheme. I would still like to get some feedback from those w/experience w/a 10R.

·
Registered
134 Posts
your welcome, I wish I could help more and give feedback about the 10Rs ride but I haven't had the pleasure to take one out yet for a ride/wheelie.

·
Registered
351 Posts
if youre a small guy, are into 90% race riding/track days, this bike is for you. if youre a bigger guy want street riding, this is not the bike for you. go gixxer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 220lbs and my k5 is fine with no problems at all. Not really sure why people say this bike is for the short and paper thin?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I noticed the twitchy front end when I rode my friends. I've not felt that sh*t since I got rid of my R1 lol. The 10R is a very peaky machine, & I noticed that even my K2 had a bit for lowend. It felt like it did anyway.
The K5 is a great bike but when provoked I feel the front also beeing a little twitchy. Seems like the K5 and 10R are very similar in some cases. I never rode a 10R, but if you want a bike with ULTRA SMOOTH power delivery and a total planted feeling you choose the K5.

·
Registered
111 Posts
to be perfectly honest the only thing i hate about K5 versus 10R is the shape of the tank of the gixxer,1000rr and r1...for me its really not comfortable .10r has a perfect tank for me (what i mean by perfect is the way the tank shape with your leg when you ride to give you the feeling that you fit in the bike if that makes any sense as im in no way a superbike racer)...anyway thats the only aspect i like on the 10r over the gixxer as i have lots of complain on the 10r (the stock guages and dash which i find not readable, the bars which are too low, the ass which i find ugly,etc...) pretty much for me gixxer is a hot chick wich is like love at first sight!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Do a search there is a good objective comparison by someone
who has rode both.

Also if both bikes are at the same shop and you are buying from them-ride them-

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is my 1st liter bike. I test rode the R1, CBR1k, ZX10R and the gxsr1k. The were all pretty good.

The R1 felt like it had now power at low RPMs and the suspension was too soft.

The CBR1k revved to slow, and it seemed it had no power. It felt bulky and heavy.

The ZX10R only issue I found was the seat height. The power was awesome. It felt a little twichy under hard acceleration. The tach was hard to read under excessive sun light.

The GXSR1k was perfect. The sitting position was confortable and low. I could plan both my feet flat on the ground. The power was smooth. I didn't have to worry about replacing the turn signals, and the gray/silver looked a lot better than plain kawi black.

If you want power and handling either the GSXR1k or the ZX10R will do the job. However, the ZX10R needs a damper.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is my 1st liter bike. I test rode the R1, CBR1k, ZX10R and the gxsr1k. The were all pretty good.

The R1 felt like it had now power at low RPMs and the suspension was too soft.

The CBR1k revved to slow, and it seemed it had no power. It felt bulky and heavy.

The ZX10R only issue I found was the seat height. The power was awesome. It felt a little twichy under hard acceleration. The tach was hard to read under excessive sun light.

The GXSR1k was perfect. The sitting position was confortable and low. I could plan both my feet flat on the ground. The power was smooth. I didn't have to worry about replacing the turn signals, and the gray/silver looked a lot better than plain kawi black.

If you want power and handling either the GSXR1k or the ZX10R will do the job. However, the ZX10R needs a damper.
the r1 has plenty of power. 72 ft lbs. maybe your dealer messed up the suspension of the r1, but its a damn good bike. better then the cbr for sure, and dead even with the kawi.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if youre a small guy, are into 90% race riding/track days, this bike is for you. if youre a bigger guy want street riding, this is not the bike for you. go gixxer.
I'm 5ft 9.5in, weigh 198lbs as of today & workout 5dys a week, so I think I fit the middle of the size margin. I qualified for my WERA 3yrs ago at Road America, but it's been a while since I've been on the track. I plan to correct that soon though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The K5 is a great bike but when provoked I feel the front also beeing a little twitchy. Seems like the K5 and 10R are very similar in some cases. I never rode a 10R, but if you want a bike with ULTRA SMOOTH power delivery and a total planted feeling you choose the K5.
I will be changing the damper anyway, the issues w/the frontend being twitchy should hopeully be resolved.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
to be perfectly honest the only thing i hate about K5 versus 10R is the shape of the tank of the gixxer,1000rr and r1...for me its really not comfortable.
I noticed that immediately at the shop. I really like the comfort from the 10R's ergonomics, but I also know that the bikes feel a lot different when you are actually riding them on the street rather than sitting on them parked. But the SOP feeling for comfort goes to the 10R for me. However, I have several couches at home

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If anything I'd say at this point wait a few months and see what Kawi will offer up with their revised 2006 ZX-10R. There's some pics floating around the internet of the 06 10R
Do you happen to have any pics of the 2006 10R?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts