Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Supercharging makes more sense on a bike. Its only two grand for the actual head unit, that one is top of the line.
Why does it? A turbo uses exhaust pressure to spool up. A supercharger requires something mechanical to spool. What on a bike are you gonna use to spool a supercharger? A pulley attached to the front sprocket?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Supercharging makes more sense on a bike. Its only two grand for the actual head unit, that one is top of the line.
Why does it? A turbo uses exhaust pressure to spool up. A supercharger requires something mechanical to spool. What on a bike are you gonna use to spool a supercharger? A pulley attached to the front sprocket?
The power delivery is usually more linear when supercharged, similar to stock or tradionally build engine (without any chargers) and you have huge gains all over the rpm range, and with turbos its usually the last 30%-35% on top. However, the technology is so advanced these days that turbos behave very nicely and have a good power delivery, so if I had to choose between supercharger and a turbo, I´d pick the turbo.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
probably have to gear that thing to the moon just to be able to ride it.....
remember that vid of the turbo R1.....alls it did was wheelie.....

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I believe that was mc express intercooled turbo 05 1000.
Super chargers are driven off the crank shaft.
Only 285 hp?
only?
daz prolly on about 4-6lbs of boost.... and if u think 285hp between ure crotch is "only" i say u are krazy

·
Registered
396 Posts
Their was a time I swore by turbos and I don't think there is anything that will replace the sound and feel of a turbo busa, the incredible ease they can reach speed and I have a built 1k and not comparing to a stock piped bike. When the boost comes on, 90-160 mph burnouts were effortless. But man what a headache it turned out to be, a few I know of firsthand the issues and nightmares they have had. Two are in our local shop, both owners I know, one I rode with all the time and was with him when it puked three of the four times all on low boost. Each rebuild had around 600 miles on it before the owner took it too the track or got on it.. I would not recommend one to my worst enemy. If you really want one, go on all the turbo sites, look for the posts of owners that drag race or do serious steet racing with their bike, ask them how many motors they have gone through? not in a post, a pm you prolly get a different reply and the reply won't be edited by an admin. What issues they have had? how do they ride it? did they build it just too know they have a badass hp bike that not many else is likely to have or did they build to to race it? PM the owners that just built one and now are selling it.

But I guess in fairness and not to make this sound like turbos are a bad idea or too or imply its a dumb choice. You have to ask yourself? okay I want a turbo, i'm going to double what the stock motor was intended to make, if I go this route, how long can I expect it too last even with aftermarket turbo pisons, rods, running c16, r/d tranny, lockup clutch etc. with the kind of riding I do? Same issues can happen to nos and built motors but my 1070 I ride it hard all the time and it has been reliable with nearly 10k on the built motor, about what I expected it would last before it would need to be freshened up, but still running like a champ. I knew the relabilty would go down but I doubt if I had put aturbo on it it would have lasted as long.

There are a lot of turbo busa popping up for sale. Wonder why?

It could be my buddy has had just a real bad bout of bad luck, but thier are other turbo bikes blowing up running different kits and on different bikes around here. No doubt they make awesome power and the turbos themselves are reliable. Its just the motor, or the fuel injection/ecu is not up to the the two, three, four times or more hp a turbo can make over a stock motor. Maybe its the engine blocks are swelling and things are getting loose or its just the nature of how the the hp and tq they make and after the lag the sudden hit is too much. Or the technology is not complete yet.

I would say if you had the skills and knowledge to tear an engine down and rebuild it yeah go for it. I would not turbo a 1k. Too small of a motor. Just not enough beef. The other issue is, how many turbo tuners are there? not many. As they start growing you will hear the bad side more, I think right now people are being quiet cuz they don't have a lot of choices to go too when their shit breaks.

Supercharging sounds interesting, no lag and instant power.Will never make the hp a turbo can and is not marketed too do so. Over on hayabusa.Org (excellant turbo site) a user by the by the name turbo gwizz has built a few. One blew up, but it was due to kinked line or something and was his first build. I'm more concerned with the heat they will build up and how its being adressed. But if the dollar to uk exchange rate became more favorable I would consider one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can't see the pics, but Ghostrider has a 285bhp turbo K5 Thats hes going to ride in his next movie.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Actually I just remembered more about the first time I read about the bike.

The bike was built for ghostrider to race around the nurburring (however you spell it) by mc express. He had another one built all motor. He is going to take the two and try to set a new record lap time their.

Yes I have heard of several people blowing up their turbo motors. Alot of them are from people trying to push their set up. Trying to run max hp on a stock motor, trying to run the most hp they can on their fuel set up, or having some other issue that they just inore untill it blows. I heard of one guy that has blown his motor 3 or 4 times. He is running stock injectors and is trying to run max hp on stock injectors and pump gas. He is using the stock internal wastegate on the turbo and having boost creep issues. He is not supposed to run more then 9psi and that is pushing it. He said his gauge sometimes reads as high as 16psi, but the guy that is working on the bike says that it is only momentarily and not to worry about it.

alot of the turbo bikes blowing up are from operator error. Pinched fuel line, they have never dynoed bike to see A/F ratio, etc. It is like how nitrous always gets a bad name. If tuned correctly and you don't push the limits of your motor it will run great for along time. It is when you get greedy or don't have it tuned that problems happen.
I have all the fuel I will ever need, I am not going to try and push it on pump gas, I have the aquamist 2c waterinjection kit and it makes way more power on pump then I will need on the street. Whenever I drag race and dyno I will run C16.
the motor is completly built with every thing possible done to it. I know a busa is the only way to go on a big turbo big. I don't like the size and looks of it though. I like the 03 1000 better and may do a 05 1000 this winter. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully nothing goes wrong.

Turbos and nitrous are not for people that don't know what they are doing. It is like a friends dodge srt-4 that dynoes 430hp at the wheels. He has been drag and street racing it for a couple years. Only problem he has ever had was breaking axels. He knows his turbos and nitrous. He traded the car in on a new lancer. Some kid bought the srt4 and blew it up driving it home. I guess that is what happens when you try to run 24psi on pump gas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts