Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1021 - 1040 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys I have a 04 gsxr 1000 with 9000 miles that I just bought a month ago. No real complaints. Its fast enough to make a R6 look like a toy but here's my only question. I went to top it out and around 165 it starts struggling. So far I can only get it to 168 and I don't understand why when I've seen these bikes do 186 no problem. The bike runs like a dream otherwise. Only mods I've known to be done is a power commander. Sprockets are stock. Only problem I've had with it is a bad spark plug. Any ideas why I'm missing top end? Here's a video to show you what I'm talking about.http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=9O7ctSH-faI

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
is there a way to upgrade your fuel injectors from one hole on the 01-04 gsxr 1000 to a 4 hole injector like on the 05 and up?

also is it better to swap the head of a 05-06 gsxr 1000 complete or just to do the intake swap with adjustable sprockets on the 04 gsxr 1000 engine?
Read here > http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157398

k1/2 1K use pintle (one hole) type FIs. k3/4 use 4 hole FIs. The FIs should be the same as a k5/6.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi Guys-

Do I stand to gain any horsepower in my K5 by upgrading to Carrillo rods and running a thinner head gasket to bump compression? My tuner uses this trick on Hayabusas and can grab a few easy horses. I'm wondering if the same trick has worked on 1000's. Thanks.

GSXR / Fast

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Guys-

Do I stand to gain any horsepower in my K5 by upgrading to Carrillo rods and running a thinner head gasket to bump compression? My tuner uses this trick on Hayabusas and can grab a few easy horses. I'm wondering if the same trick has worked on 1000's. Thanks.

GSXR / Fast
:facepalm

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the input. I always appreicate a good, helpful, insightful answer like the one you provided here, lol.

GSXR / FAst
Ok how about this.. Taking the bottom end apart for rods isn't worth it, your asking for problems once you crack open the bottom end. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it goes. Rods are lighter but won't give you the benefit your looking for. Unless there's something wrong with the bottom end or you have high miles then I wouldn't mess with it. Your on the right track with the headgasket I suppose. The stock motors piston on average is anywhere from 4-11 thousandths in the hole so there's room to close the squish. The heads coming off for this..... Why not shave the head and put a stock gasket back in there? Or you could do both. I usually take about .010 off the head and do the .018 headgasket and degree the cams higher, Bout 106/108 with stock cams.

Now the heads off and the valves are out(if your shaving it). May as well do a nice valve job and a mild port. Some people think hogging a head out is the way to go. Most of these shops who offer "Cnc heads" are running one program and selling the heads for the price of gold. Really any machine shop would probably charge u 60 to mill it and probably 200 for a valve job. You can do the porting yourself. Just clean up the roughness in the ports and smooth everything out, goal here is velocity(speed of air) not quantity of air. Stock bore I wouldn't open those ports up at all just clean them up. You'll see what I'm talking about when you start. Or you can go on psychobike and pm johnmiffco. He does great port work relatiy cheap.

Now the cams are coming out either way. Press off the sprockets and get some adjustable ones. Degree those suckers in the way Suzuki should have.

Now this is going to run you a bit of money, by your post I'm assuming your trying to cut corners and save some dough. Your going to start a time bomb. Leave the motor the way it is and throw another intake cam on the exhaust side from your same year 1000 or whatever size your riding. Your still going to need sprockets. You should get an SB6 ignition system (or power commander but I'm not a fan of their products at all) and advance the timing a little. Probably could add about 3-4 degrees up top and gain about 5-8 horse that way. Most of the power is going to be in the head/cam setup though.

Goodluck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Thank you - that's the answer I needed and I assure you that you just helped about 75 other cats looking for the answer to that same question. I'm being very sincere in saying thanks.

Now check this out - the clock is already running on my time-bomb. My bike has a 1070cc motor with a Marine lightened/balanced crankshaft (gear removed). It has Web cams (415/405) and a ported head (Port Tech, IN). It's getting some more work done right now and while it's with the tuner I wondered if I could take advantage of the situation by throwing some Carrillos at it and tightening the head with the thinner gasket. From your answer it sounds like I won't get what I'm looking for and that a better option would be skimming the head a bit.

It looks like you're running an 1143cc X Gixxer 1000. How do you like it? Are you street or are you strip or are you both? This was another road I considered. Thanks.

GSXR / Fast

·
Registered
202 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Thank you - that's the answer I needed and I assure you that you just helped about 75 other cats looking for the answer to that same question. I'm being very sincere in saying thanks.

Now check this out - the clock is already running on my time-bomb. My bike has a 1070cc motor with a Marine lightened/balanced crankshaft (gear removed). It has Web cams (415/405) and a ported head (Port Tech, IN). It's getting some more work done right now and while it's with the tuner I wondered if I could take advantage of the situation by throwing some Carrillos at it and tightening the head with the thinner gasket. From your answer it sounds like I won't get what I'm looking for and that a better option would be skimming the head a bit.

It looks like you're running an 1143cc X Gixxer 1000. How do you like it? Are you street or are you strip or are you both? This was another road I considered. Thanks.

GSXR / Fast
I ride mine on the street. It's my daily. Traffic to ass whippins, does about anything I want it to. Cranking compression is about 245psi. Right below the cutoff for pump.

I didn't know you had a 1070. Why doesn't it have carillos already? Please don't tell me your running a stock rod on a 3mm overbore?!!?! Well in any case your piston to valve along with piston depth should be checked before you move the head any closer to the pistons. Also the cams are degreed already I'm assuming. You should check the timing on them and see where they're at and time them to how you ride/ what your using it for. 108/110 for more top end and ptv clearance or 106/108 for more mid/high etc.. You already have a lightened crankshaft, probably has rods that u don't know about. You should have thrown a rod by now if they were stock. Sounds like your cams/head ports might be to big. Bigger isn't better. I have to question those cam numbers as well. With that size exhaust cam you should have needed to put bigger buckets on the valves. Something doesn't sound right. But in any case try not to shoot for peak dyno numbers. Shoot for more useable power. You'd want a nice torquey curve the brings the power in at 6-7k And pulls the whole rest of the way. Something more resembling a hill vs a skate ramp.

·
Registered
313 Posts
"I didn't know you had a 1070. Why doesn't it have carillos already? Please don't tell me your running a stock rod on a 3mm overbore?!!?!"

Yes...yes I am. I thought about doing Carrillos but was told the stock rods were capable for quite a bit more power than I was going to make out of the motor. I'm not spraying or anything like that. My bike is all street too (with the occasional track day thrown in). I was also warned against streeting an 1143cc motor, but the thought of all that power and torque is intoxicating, lol!!

Maybe I am a bit high on the exhaust cam but I'm pretty sure the intake is a 415. I'm also sure the rods are stock because I have to buy the parts then my tuner puts it all together and tunes it all out for me. The cams are currently degreed to give me power in the mid/high range for the way I'll be using them - I wish I had the degrees but sadly I don't.

Yes, I know - dyno numbers are only relevant when using the same dyno before and after tuning. The dyno is only a tool and doesn't necessarily measure true horsepower but DIFFERENCE in horsepower. Knowing all that I still have to ask - what are you getting at the back wheel of that 1143? lol!!

GSXR / Fast

·
Registered
313 Posts
212 on pump...that's sheer insanity! What kind of TQ is that beast making? I can't imagine how you keep the front wheel down!

I guess I better stick to the 1070 for now and get used to that thing before I consider something crazy like that. Thanks for your insight man. If I have any other questions I'll be on here looking for you. You really seem to know your stuff.

GSXR / Fast

·
Registered
202 Posts
212 on pump...that's sheer insanity! What kind of TQ is that beast making? I can't imagine how you keep the front wheel down!

I guess I better stick to the 1070 for now and get used to that thing before I consider something crazy like that. Thanks for your insight man. If I have any other questions I'll be on here looking for you. You really seem to know your stuff.

GSXR / Fast
You get used to it pretty quick. Makes around 105-110 torque. I'm -2 in the back. It's stock height and length.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
GSXRAssassin , listen to everything X Gixxer 1000 X is telling you; he is dead on the money with his advice. Also, takes those cams out, they are to big for your set-up. Remember bigger is not better. All that does is win dyno contest, not races.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What size cams should I be running? Thanks for the information!!

GSXR / Fast
Depending on what year you have I'd say yosh type r for any year except 07-08 Those years they are hard on the valvetrain. I install the 539/1011 WebCams all the time and they work out great on almost all the bikes I use them on. I degree them in for what your using it for. 104/106 low end(check piston to valve!!!!! At that timing) or go 106/108 all around or 109/111 for some better pull up top and the tiny loss of power down low with that timing will help keep the wheel down and the higher you go in timing the better your piston to valve clearance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm running 539/1011 on an 08 head with 109/111 cam timing and peaking at 11.5k rpm

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
i used yosh str-r in several different motors with good results including a current drag bike that is an 1143, we have them set pretty high the peak it at 12800, we have no2 pistons and on just motor its making just under 200, customer hasnt sprayed it yet should be 250 ish. but torque is way up 15 more than stock displacement.

my o5 won the daytona national hp shootout in 07,08 and 09 it pulled very good numbers also set very high but we were useing 13.5 je pistons and 20 thou off the head that bike wasnt much fun on the street. however on trackdays it was awsome the way it spooled up made it pretty easy to ride, and super smooth on meth. (made 204 on meth but got 37 miles to the tank).

jason

1021 - 1040 of 1104 Posts