Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

901 - 920 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I need help. I have a K5 with a 1070 kit. I'm running Yosh-R cams in the bike now. What I'm thinking about doing is moving the Yosh intake to the exhaust side and putting in a Web 395 or 400 cam.
My other idea is to leave the Yosh exhaust cam in but replace the Yosh Intake with a bigger Web cam. If you're reading this and you are pretty knowledgeable about cams feel free to chime in. Thanks.

GSXR

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
Ok....first off....Very sorry for neglecting this thread. Simply been super-duper busy. Please forgive....

Chip or Mike or anyone?

Any of you guys know if the rear shock from the 09/10 GSXR1000 will fit the 07/08 model? What are the differences if any?

Thanks all. Had someone offer me a brand new 09 shock of a race bike build and wanted to know if it would fit on my 07 GSXR1000. Thanks All
Nope....different link.

Chip,

I had motor work done on my 04 GSXR 1000 and every since then I have noticed that

1) the motor seems to burn some oil. I have to add a little between oil changes.

2) It seems like the Cam Chain noise is louder then it was prior to the mods.

3) The bike is running hotter then it used to. Now I can't do any city driving because stopping at stop lights causes the temp to shoot up and if it gets above 216 degrees and I let out on the clutch, it clatters real bad and if it dies I have to wait till it cools down before it will even crank over or start.

Was told that the compression is 14.5/1

The bike runs fine, i'm just concerned with the heating problem and what if anything can be done about it.
Standard bore?

14.5:1 is WAY to high for the street and would explain your heat issues....but it would not run on pump gas.

Hey Chip,

You helped me greatly in getting my K5 1070 together and she's running great. I wanted to get your opinion on 2 ideas I've been kicking around. I'm thinking about sending the crank out to Marine to get polished. I want to reduce friction allowing the motor to spin up faster. My bike is strictly street/highway so no heavy duty racing is involved. I just like having a quick bike (and the BMW spins up sooo fast).
Is polishing the crank enough or should I also look into lightening it?

My second question is about the head/cam combo. Right now I'm running an absolutely untouched head with Yosh-R cams. My tuner said there's another 10 horses there with the right size cams and some changes to the valve guides to accept them. What size camshafts would you recommend I use? Thanks.

GSXR
Polishing and lightening the crank will make the motor accelerate faster but will make the power delivery peaky and it will be harder to ride.

Chip,

You know this stuff? Or ever heard about it or anyone used it from here?
Pretty cheap for the performance it gives. At least what they advertise.

http://www.bikeinterceptor.com/products

Never heard of it, but I will check it out.

Have a question regarding abrupt engine response at low RPM if anyone can help.

With my K6 (stock bike save Yoshi slip on with SET valve still in place & PC3 with generic DJ map) I'm finding that when the engine is coming down on closed throttle on the overrun the engine gets very jerky from about 4000 RPM down to 2000 RPM. This upsets the rear chain tension & jerks the back end about a little. Also the engine comes on with a slight delay & then bang of power when you get on the gas again.

Was wondering if this is a common mapping issue of something else? Is it a running too lean issue than I can sort out with the PC3. Or maybe is it something mechanical like the pair valve or a sticky SET valve (mine squeaks loudly when then bike is priming - need to lube it up).

Can describe the problem more if anyone requests it. Will service the SET valve at the weekend in any case...
Its the generic map.....have the bike tuned...:punk

I need help. I have a K5 with a 1070 kit. I'm running Yosh-R cams in the bike now. What I'm thinking about doing is moving the Yosh intake to the exhaust side and putting in a Web 395 or 400 cam.
My other idea is to leave the Yosh exhaust cam in but replace the Yosh Intake with a bigger Web cam. If you're reading this and you are pretty knowledgeable about cams feel free to chime in. Thanks.

GSXR
Terrible idea....the Yosh R intake cam has entirely too much lift to use as an exhaust cam. Cam timing would be crazy high.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chip,
Quick question. How much horse power can i expect to get from a 09 gsxr 1k with full leo vince, bmc race filter and a bazzaz with a custom tune on average? thanks

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #904
Chip,
Quick question. How much horse power can i expect to get from a 09 gsxr 1k with full leo vince, bmc race filter and a bazzaz with a custom tune on average? thanks
170 ish....but all dynos are different and thier are lots of varibles. Don't get all hung up on the number as much as the difference....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Chip,

Have you any opinion on BRISK LGS Premium spark plugs?

What plugs would you recommend in any case for the street/track bike for the average guy??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Uhh.....no.....no power at 0% throttle.....
Yes but there is power at 1% throttle & the PC3 interpolates the difference between 0 - 2% throttle & fuels the 1% zone based on those readings. I realise you'd have to spin the engine up via some other method to do this though.

Does the bike even fuel the engine all the time when you are on a closed throttle?? I know the EURO 3-4 regs have some say on this.

Reason I ask was to try see if the 0% fuelling column had any effect on the back-pressure through the drive train when slowing down ont he overrun. I have been getting a real jerky motion through my chain lately when on a closed throttle between 4000 - 2000 RPM just using engine braking to slow down. WHen I get my Motty set up I can log the AFR in this range myself & see what's going on. Plus I still get a tiny bit of snatch when coming back ont he gas from closed throttle (changing gear too sometimes) in this RPM range.

Also do you not have to map the idle speed when doing drastic mods to the engine itherwise you'll end up with a lumpy/racing idle depending on what you've changed from stock (exhaust, air filter, headwork, cams, etc.)

Just some 'Out of the Box' questions

·
Redneck Rider
1,741 Posts
Not 100% positive but I'd say they have power and are working at 0% throttle. I have tuned a few bikes were I have either added or removed fuel at 0% throttle in order to get ride of decel popping.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not 100% positive but I'd say they have power and are working at 0% throttle. I have tuned a few bikes were I have either added or removed fuel at 0% throttle in order to get ride of decel popping.
Unless certain models take power direct from the battery or some other switched or fused source then from my experience there is no power to the injectors when the throttle is closed.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mike, when you are idling the inyectors are functioning so the bike does not stop.
Yes, but we aren't talking about idling, we are talking about shutting the throttle after revving the bike.

If you rev to 13k rpm and shut the throttle the injectors will get no power and your PC will shut down until you get close to the idle rpm, say 1k rpm, and everything will wake up again.

Whilst the bike is decelerating with the throttle closed there is no power to the injectors.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Ok, I understand now.....

but if the bike is desacelerating entering a corner and you open again the gas, the amount of gas in that time you can tune that.... that is the 0% TPS colum...

my experience if you rich that up it makes the drive smother and sometimes it will pop...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mike I dont see how that can be the case. If there is no power going to the injectors (ie. no fuel going there either) then why do bike pop & fart when on the overrun & the race bikes shoot flames sometimes.

From what I know about modern EFI there is a need to have something with the same effect of a carburettor pilot circuit in place ont eh overrun otherwise the cyclinder walls will dry up & your engine wont fuel properly (lean condition due to a portion of the fuel wetting the cylinder walls again) immediately after you get on the gas again. I think cars use enrichment algorithms to predict the cylinder wall dryin effect & overfuel the part throttle input for a few milliseconds to get the walls back to a steady state situation.

In any case I removed -4% fuel from idle to 5000RPM as an experiment on my bike this moring & it made a small but noticable difference. The bike doesnt pop as much after I change gear & the gear changes are a little smoother in that rev range. ALso the engine is smoother on the overrun (noticably less chain backlash) in that area.

Once I get my Motty set up I will log the fuelling properly & see exactly what's going on.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mike I dont see how that can be the case. If there is no power going to the injectors (ie. no fuel going there either) then why do bike pop & fart when on the overrun & the race bikes shoot flames sometimes.
Would guess it's the unburnt fuel from the engine making it's way through the exhaust system and igniting there.

We tried several injector powered fuelling boxes and watched them turn off as we closed the throttle until the revs got close to idle speed where the box powered up again.

Maybe it starts putting a little back in around the 5k rpm mark to cushion the hit where it hits the idle but from full gas through most of the rev range there is no power to the injectors with a closed throttle.

Maybe things are a little different on the K6 given the age of the electronics but on the K9 that's certainly how it works...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys my k9 has a pinking noise it can be heard when taking off at slow speed, is this a timing thing or fuel problem? the only mods I've done removed the cat and baseball bats and installed a trc Yoshi.
also;
i only use metzler k1 tires on it to get the performance out of it, its a stock street/track bike I got the susp pretty firm. i have been playing with shock clevis spacers at the track my Question is? are the gains big enough or just leave alone. (i tried a 8mm to see what would happen and it sucked so i push the front throu 4mm that helped)is there a base mod for this or is it more a top end race thing! ps The fronts likes skipping and wiggles along the front straight this unerves me should i just harden up! thanks for a reply in advance guys!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Would guess it's the unburnt fuel from the engine making it's way through the exhaust system and igniting there.

We tried several injector powered fuelling boxes and watched them turn off as we closed the throttle until the revs got close to idle speed where the box powered up again.

Maybe it starts putting a little back in around the 5k rpm mark to cushion the hit where it hits the idle but from full gas through most of the rev range there is no power to the injectors with a closed throttle.

Maybe things are a little different on the K6 given the age of the electronics but on the K9 that's certainly how it works...

Thanks for the extra info Mike.

I should have said that I only expected the 0% throttle fuelling column to have any impact in the engine feel from idle to about 5000 RPM due to the amount of throttle after that required to beat internal engine friction.

I have only adjusted my fuelling from idle to 5000 RPM. The K5/6 probably does inject a little fuel in all the time as they had a less strict 'Euro 2' set of emissions standards to achieve than the later bikes where I'm sure putting unburt fuel intot he atmosphere on a closed throttle is a totall no no.

Would be interesting to see the stock ECU fuel tables for both these bikes. Anyone??

901 - 920 of 1104 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
226 Participants
[email protected]
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing