Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 1104 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi, I'll try not to sound too much like a noob but have a couple questions.

Just got back in the saddle with a k8 1000 - put on the single Yosh TRS 'slip-on' that removes the collector - maintains the O2 sensor. Is the stock ECU (if that's the right term) going to accomodate for the added air flow or am I at risk of running lean without adding some sort of fuel control (PC III or Bazzaz)?

Next, I've read your feeling on the TRE, so is my money best spent on a PCIII or similar if that is the extent of what I am going to do to the bike? I have a qualified shop by me that can Dyno it to get it right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey Chip - Kudos for sharing valuable info :punk

Have you used the Yoshi Double Stack Intake Trumphets & if so what do you think?? There are alot of money for 2 stacks!

What max compression ratio would you advise running on 95RON Octane pump gas?

Have you any experience/opinions with the new type BPF's (Big Piston Forks) & if so do you know if they can be retro fitted to a K6 1k easily without swappig/modifying the stock triple clamps?

Is there any way of getting a K7/8 head & valve to fit a K5/6 & if so are the benefit worth the effort??

Cheers

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Digging back through my old emails, I happened on one from my tuner. When he adjusted the valves on my K6 a couple of months ago, he happened to notice that the cam timing was retarded. Like, 4 degrees on the intake and almost 8 on the exhaust (IIRC). We are going to get a set of adjustable sprockts and adapters (stockers are pressed on). Once this is done and the timing is set to stock specs, can I expect more low-end and midrange?

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
why would he degree the cams while doing a valave clearance? Weird.

I tried it a couple times in the bike, but now that i am older and wiser I only degree the cams with the engine out of the bike. So much easier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Depends on what works best....
We have seen the same thing. This why it is very important to check the AFR map before you apply it. If you end up with an outlire (high unsually high or low number) simply plug in the logical number based on the cells around it.
Thank you very much Chip!!!
That's what I thought.

And one more Q for you:
Stock engine. Polishing ports without actually changing their shapes - is it worth the pain?
What kind of gain can I expect, if any?

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi, I'll try not to sound too much like a noob but have a couple questions.

Just got back in the saddle with a k8 1000 - put on the single Yosh TRS 'slip-on' that removes the collector - maintains the O2 sensor. Is the stock ECU (if that's the right term) going to accomodate for the added air flow or am I at risk of running lean without adding some sort of fuel control (PC III or Bazzaz)?

Next, I've read your feeling on the TRE, so is my money best spent on a PCIII or similar if that is the extent of what I am going to do to the bike? I have a qualified shop by me that can Dyno it to get it right.

Thanks!
The Stock o2 sensor is narrow band sensor that tells the ECU that is within a very small range. Either its in or its out. It doesn't have the capacity to make mapping changes and is not a closed loop system like a car.

So yes....it would be a good idea to buy a Bazzaz system and get it tuned. The TRE works great if you plan on exceeding 186mph...

Hey Chip - Kudos for sharing valuable info :punk

Have you used the Yoshi Double Stack Intake Trumphets & if so what do you think?? There are alot of money for 2 stacks!

What max compression ratio would you advise running on 95RON Octane pump gas?

Have you any experience/opinions with the new type BPF's (Big Piston Forks) & if so do you know if they can be retro fitted to a K6 1k easily without swappig/modifying the stock triple clamps?

Is there any way of getting a K7/8 head & valve to fit a K5/6 & if so are the benefit worth the effort??

Cheers
Yosh Double Stacks - No.....they are way to expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max Compression for pump gas - This is one of the biggest problems with pump gas. It is so dramatically different from one pump to the next that there is no right answer. You have to be pretty conservitive with pump gas because of all the different factors involved.

No experiance with the new Showa forks. I might have some more info on friday.

The 05/06 head has the motor mounts on it.....the 07/08 head does not....so the head will bolt on the motor, but not in the chassis.

Digging back through my old emails, I happened on one from my tuner. When he adjusted the valves on my K6 a couple of months ago, he happened to notice that the cam timing was retarded. Like, 4 degrees on the intake and almost 8 on the exhaust (IIRC). We are going to get a set of adjustable sprockts and adapters (stockers are pressed on). Once this is done and the timing is set to stock specs, can I expect more low-end and midrange?
Your tuner is an idiot. What your discribing does not make since. Leave it alone or take it to somebody competent.

why would he degree the cams while doing a valave clearance? Weird.

I tried it a couple times in the bike, but now that i am older and wiser I only degree the cams with the engine out of the bike. So much easier.
We did it at Laguna this year....on pit wall. It wasn't fun.

Thank you very much Chip!!!
That's what I thought.

And one more Q for you:
Stock engine. Polishing ports without actually changing their shapes - is it worth the pain?
What kind of gain can I expect, if any?

Thanks again!!!
Nope. Polishing won't do anything....in fact it might make it worse. You need some texture in the ports to induce tumbling and break up flow on the port walls.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Man! Cheers! :cheers I'll be saving up for the PCIII or Bazzaz and to pay the tuner for the dyno runs!

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Your tuner is an idiot. What your discribing does not make since. Leave it alone or take it to somebody competent.
:scratch

Really? Wow. Guess I've been taking my stuff to the wrong guy for the past 12 years or so. I'll let my AFM friends know too. Thanks! :lol

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
:scratch

Really? Wow. Guess I've been taking my stuff to the wrong guy for the past 12 years or so. I'll let my AFM friends know too. Thanks! :lol
Cam timing cannot change by itself. Cam timing is what it is. There is no retard or advance. Because the cam timing is not stock does not mean its wrong. In fact lower cam timing will result in more midrange not less.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Chip, how are dyno shops going to stay in business with these "self tuners" on the market?
Many people will think they won't need them anymore and that is a shame.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Chip, some guys say that motorcycle tires does not need balancing, or you can just skip that, saying that a small brake can re-unbalane the tire ... how true is that , do you balance yours? another one is , the 16.5 inch racing wheels instead of the 17" stock, is it a big difference? do you still use the same 180/55 tires on it or need a different size?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Chip, how are dyno shops going to stay in business with these "self tuners" on the market?
Many people will think they won't need them anymore and that is a shame.
It will effect it some, but the current AFR stuff is not that good and still needs a good base map to work really well.

Hi, I have a hayabusa 2000 and The problem comes when the bike is heated and then shuts down and I have to let it cool to re-ignite... what do you think????? thanks
I can't even guess what is broken. Sorry.

Hi Chip, some guys say that motorcycle tires does not need balancing, or you can just skip that, saying that a small brake can re-unbalane the tire ... how true is that , do you balance yours? another one is , the 16.5 inch racing wheels instead of the 17" stock, is it a big difference? do you still use the same 180/55 tires on it or need a different size?
100% not true. It is absolutely critical to balance motorcycle wheels/tires. They don't "unbalance" unless something dramatic happens.

16.5's typically have more side grip than 17's. They come in a lot of different sizes and are for race use only. In reality, unless you are a pro rider, you won't be able to tell the difference.

are you guys racing AMA/DMG 2009 ???
Yes. Press Release next week. :biggrin

·
Cu de Cachorro
6,105 Posts
Yes. Press Release next week. :biggrin
:punk :punk :punk keeping Ben ?

what series ? what bikes ? 2nd rider ???

its cool if you cant say yet :cheers

thats great news Chip , from all the teams (NON Factory) you guys have an Amazing program ! (also have lots of respect for the Pegram family)

i would say IMO 2008 was the best season you guys had in years :punk :punk :punk

still dissapointed that Suzuki, Kawasaki and now (as todays press) Honda teams are out .... anything can happen ...
CA Speedway 4-26-08 Race Weekend 134.jpg

CA Speedway 4-26-08 Race Weekend 133.jpg

CA Speedway 4-26-08 Race Weekend 135.jpg

CA Speedway 4-26-08 Race Weekend 136.jpg
:cheers

21 - 40 of 1104 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
226 Participants
[email protected]
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing