Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Good to see that your back. Glad you are happy with the build. Job well done!!:cheers

Bet you can never wipe that smile from your face now.:fact

Its going to be hard riding any bike with less than 190hp. Everything else will just seem slow...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thank you guys. I borrowed my girlfriend's Kawasaki Z750S for a spin and drove like I'm used to do. And its was completely dangerous at overtaking. I mean nothing happens when you twist the throttle!

And it's quite fun at track when I pass all the newer guys with S1000RRs and ZX10Rs on the straights (and in the corners...) and then they ask me in the pit "What the dam* h*ll have you done to your bike?!". I'm just like: "What do you mean? I have got a slipon and a PC." :D

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
It makes you feel proud when an 11 year older 1K is earning respect from the latest and greatest 1K owners.

EDIT: Interested in the piston gas porting details if it's not a secret. Is blow by an issue with the aftermarket or even OEM pistons from your experience?

What did you end up degreeing the exhaust on. 103 on the intake?

What is the JE FSR piston? Never mind, found it, it's slipper skirt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It's insane to think that the bike is 11 years old, soon 12 years old. I had a picture of a K3 in the burning copper color on my wall in my room, when I was thirteen back in 2003. And now when I have it, a stock engine isn't good enough :wacko

Due to the larger piston-cylinder clearance, I decided to do that to minimize blow by. No experience, and maybe it would not have been a problem, but when I had the tools and opportunity I went with that.

I went with 107/105, webcam states 103/105 but after some test in the dyno, I came up with that timing without losing any on low and mid revs. It's a real pita too change the timing with the engine still in the frame. I'm glad that I'm done with that.

A little footnote, I weighed my engine today and completely assembled it weight about 50kg. My crank weight is 7,2kg, it's been lightened at APE and the balancer gear is removed.

It makes you feel proud when an 11 year older 1K is earning respect from the latest and greatest 1K owners.

EDIT: Interested in the piston gas porting details if it's not a secret. Is blow by an issue with the aftermarket or even OEM pistons from your experience?

What did you end up degreeing the exhaust on. 103 on the intake?

What is the JE FSR piston? Never mind, found it, it's slipper skirt.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I went with 107/105, webcam states 103/105 but after some test in the dyno, I came up with that timing without losing any on low and mid revs. It's a real pita too change the timing with the engine still in the frame. I'm glad that I'm done with that.
With that cam timing, you have a lot of overlap so you will have a midrange from hell that pulls all the way to the top as seen from your dyno draph. :fact

Me and my friends have always degreed our motors for overalap, otherwise you will have a sluggish midrange if you have your lobe centers to wide.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi Almgren,

Glad you are digging the bike and your riding pic is showing some nice inside moves.

I believe you when you say you are passing S1000RR's ...do you do this without any type of traction control ? Cause those bikes with TC can be just pinned down the straights and won't wheelie. Plus QS and I noticed when I rode one, tighter gear spacing 3rd through 5th.

Even though Bimmer only has between 175-180 HP lol, you are still going to be near peak power to get by, riders being equal. If no TC, How do you manage this (wheelies/wheelspin etc.) or does the superior torque do most of the damage.

thx G

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi Almgren,

Glad you are digging the bike and your riding pic is showing some nice inside moves.

I believe you when you say you are passing S1000RR's ...do you do this without any type of traction control ? Cause those bikes with TC can be just pinned down the straights and won't wheelie. Plus QS and I noticed when I rode one, tighter gear spacing 3rd through 5th.

Even though Bimmer only has between 175-180 HP lol, you are still going to be near peak power to get by, riders being equal. If no TC, How do you manage this (wheelies/wheelspin etc.) or does the superior torque do most of the damage.

thx G
Hi Gixan,

My traction control sits in my wrist...not failsafe though :p

Of course I've different sprockets/gearing when I'm at the track, I also have QS on the bike. Often on the straights I almost have the frontwheel a couple of inches in the air the whole straights. You have to have some sort of throttecontrol with this amount of power. And I think much of the advantage over the S1000RR is that I've 20hp more than the BMW at 6000rpm up to 10000rpm.

I've also raced against S1000RRs and a 2011 ZX10 (they are not limited here as they are in the US) on the street/freeway, and sure, it can be tough to hold down the frontwheel, but I can walk away fairly easy.

BR Almgren

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi Gixan,

My traction control sits in my wrist...not failsafe though :p

Of course I've different sprockets/gearing when I'm at the track, I also have QS on the bike. Often on the straights I almost have the frontwheel a couple of inches in the air the whole straights. You have to have some sort of throttecontrol with this amount of power. And I think much of the advantage over the S1000RR is that I've 20hp more than the BMW at 6000rpm up to 10000rpm.

I've also raced against S1000RRs and a 2011 ZX10 (they are not limited here as they are in the US) on the street/freeway, and sure, it can be tough to hold down the frontwheel, but I can walk away fairly easy.

BR Almgren
10-4 .. must be a thrill to ride.

I'll be sure to keep the hell out of the way :biggrin

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
10-4 .. must be a thrill to ride.

I'll be sure to keep the hell out of the way :biggrin
Haha, I was going to do an update to this thread when I saw your picture. I must have missed it before because I used my phone lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Meet a guy with an K3 with only 7500 miles on the odometer. Completely stock....Okey he'd an tankpad on it...That's it. I'd to take some picture with the bikes side by side. Quite fun to actually see the difference between the bikes.

A couple weeks ago I recieved a special gift from Öhlins Suspensions here in Sweden, I live 60 miles from their HQ. It's an titanium shock spring for my Öhlins S46 Shock. I don't see that I need one for the weight reduction, but hey, how many rides around with an titanium spring :biggrin.
Funny thing that I got an comment that I didn't have an Öhlins shock, because the spring wasn't yellow...:biggrin

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Unfortunately not, I captured a whole trackday on the gopro til the last session where I dropped it and couldn't find it.

·
Administrator
13,774 Posts
The bikes side by side is cool !!

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Man, that orange and black looks good! Very rare......I have never seen one in person.

What's new man?? How's the bike running? Done anything new to the motor since the last time you gave me an update?

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
:biggrin:

41 - 60 of 80 Posts