Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
what cams did you go with?
I will go with Webcam 70-681 with duration @ 0.050" :In: 256 ex:236 and valve lift: in: 0.400" ex: 0.340". 38 degrees overlap.

Did you measure it up for wear. I am interested to know how worn it was against the service manual specs.
Actually I didn't. But the parts which were worn was: 5/6th gear on the countershaft and it's shiftfork, camchaintensioner-guide. Other than that, it was fine. I've replaced the crank and rod bearings as the crank has been at APE and have been lightened and balanced. They polished the crank journals a little bit.

Any updates with the build Emil?
Sorry for not updating enough. Have a ton to do at work, and a girlfriend (not the gixxer :biggrin) who needs her attention too.

I've measured my real static compression ration which was 13.1:1 with the 0,03" headgasket and 13.9:1 with the 0,018" gasket.

Problem was that with the 0,018" I had a squish at 0,025".
I took the pistonhead down 0,0059" = 0,15mm (I use metric normally, but I convert the numbers for you, soo sometimes it's a bit messy numbers) and landed with 0,030" squish and 13.4/5:1 ish CR.

And with the bike itself, I've sorted out my electrical system and cleaned up some bad connections, installed an alarm, mounted my hydraulic preload adjuster to the exhaust mount.

Changed wheelbearings, changed brakefluid (Motul RBF600, have really good experience with this fluid at the track. Had a fluidboiling(spellcheck?) with a other brakefluid at the track last year at the end of a straight. NOT FUNNY, thank god there was an escape.)

What's next: Check valve/piston clearance, camtiming and reassembly of starterclutch and clutch, then mounting the engine.

I will be better at updating the thread in the future, sorry...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Looks good Emil. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Bottom end pretty much done! Reinstalled the pan, clutch, camchain and guides.

Also installed two valves in the head with soft springs, to easy measuring the camtiming and piston/valve clearance.

I know...the oilfiller-plug is blue, but I'm gonna change it to a black one.

I'm going away for a Öhlins-workshop education tomorrow, not able to work on the engine for a couple of days.

But next time, it's time for camtiming (That's a lot of "time")!

Real nice work and good workshop. Did you make the engine stand?
Thanks, no they are probably 20 year older than me. I'm 22 :).

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello folks!

Received my chainkit from MotoMummy yesterday, lookin really good with that black sprocket and black chain with gold rivets.

I found a little bit of sparetime yesterday and manage to degree my intakecam to 103" lobecenter. Only the exhaustcam left, then remove the head again and assemble the valves, adjust valvelash, then put the head back again. After that it's time to put the engine back in the frame!

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's a quick update. Engine is in the frame and I started it yesterday, sound great! No leaks.

Have run it on the dyno, first I drove a couple of times to break it in before I throttled it.

The first reading I get was 180hp! And that @ 12.8:1 AFR. I thinks also I need to move my rpmlimiter up a bit. I'm also think I'm going to need a new header, I have never liked my gianelli stainless system. Found a Akrapovic Titanium fullsystem for about 1000$ on ebay.de.

I will do more pulls tomorrow, and have it correctly mapped. I hope for 190hp. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Awesome Emil! You must be a mind reader bcuz I was just going to Emil you today to check on your progress. The Akrapovic will definitely help you free up some hp. Also, since your thinking of increasing the rev limiter, turn the rev limiter up to 13K.

12.8:1 AFR seems a little rich. Try leaning that out a bit and you will see the hp go up. Tune to the most hp, not sum magical AFR number that everybody seems to believe exist. GSXR's run better a little learner up top.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Awesome Emil! You must be a mind reader bcuz I was just going to Emil you today to check on your progress. The Akrapovic will definitely help you free up some hp. Also, since your thinking of increasing the rev limiter, turn the rev limiter up to 13K.

12.8:1 AFR seems a little rich. Try leaning that out a bit and you will see the hp go up. Tune to the most hp, not sum magical AFR number that everybody seems to believe exist. GSXR's run better a little learner up top.

Good luck man!
Thank you! Yeah, maybe I'm, I felt it's was time for an update :)

12.8:1 AFR is just the afr I got at the first readout, my experience with GSXR's (as you say) is they run better at a little leaner than other inline 4's (I usually shoot for 13.4:1 AFR).

I will go for a another dynorun tomorrow and will bring my GoPro Hero2, maybe I will have time to edit a move after work and upload to my youtube channel (aelm123).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi guys. As kwaka10r said, I have had almost too much fun with the bike. Its crazy how fun it is to have 193hp on the wheel! And its crazy how you get used to it. But on the other hand, it is really smooth on the track. I have spent some time on the dyno to get the bike to run really nice.

I have attached an dynograph to compare when the bike was completely stock.

I really haven't had any serious problem with it. I had some suspension issues, tankslappers out of corners at track, but after some consultation with some guys at Öhlins the problem was solved.

I have put nearly 15000km (~9300miles) on the street and track I'm really satisfied with the build.

Now this winter I have started to get the apperance to match the performance. I have mounted a powerbronze carbonfiber hugger yesterday and a set of clean rimstickers I found on ebay.

I will try to make another update in the nearest future with the progress of the bike.

BR Almgren

Attachments

21 - 40 of 80 Posts