Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GSX-R 750 \'89 K Suspension Setup

Does anyone know where I can find or have a suggestion for my suspension setup on my 1989 GSX-R 750? I've owned it for 2 weeks and it has been setup for someone alot lighter than myself. I weigh in at 95kG.

I know how to pull out the rear spring/shock and wind up/down the preload, but i'm not sure how much/little to put on it. The bike is pretty much standard with a set of 4 into 1 headers and carbon fibre pipe. It also has had a 1992 (? I think) rear damper put on it. The damper has 16 settings between hard and soft. I'm currently using the middle one, but am not sure what it should be set at for someone of my size.

So in short, HELP!

------------------
insert silly signature here!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: GSX-R 750 \'89 K Suspension Setup

I don't know very much on the topic but I've been doing some looking lately also. Traxxion Dynamics makes a good little book that talks about what to look for in a baseline setup. I strongly recommend it. If you go to race tech's web site (www.race-tech.com I think) they will tell you that the stock spring on the rear shock was really light (probably for a 120 to 140 pound rider). The rear shock is probably one of the biggest limiting factors (especially if you ever have a passenger). If you have a rear shock from a 92, that is probably a significant improvement already. The stock 89 rear shock had no piggyback reservoir and fairly limited adjustability. I'm no lightweight, I weigh about 230 pounds. I have the preload screwed all the way in on the rear and about two lines showing on the front fork preloads. Compression and rebound damping are set on the lighter side although I'm not sure what each setting is. You want the suspension to be able to respond quickly to pavement irregularities but to be sloppy spongy. Dont know if this helps at all but I tried.

------------------
'89 750---Factory ignition advancer and shift kit, Barnett Kevlar Clutch and springs, Goodridge SS brake lines.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have several articles (will post some more) on my website www.navegalia.com/personal/phillip

Click on the articles section and you will see stuff regarding suspension. Will be adding some more.. and perhaps my own experiences as well.

------------------

[This message has been edited by carlitos (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Registered
123 Posts

Hi ya, I know this is an old message but I have the same bike as you and I asked these guys the same ? and I was directed to the race tec site. Very helpful stuff innit!!

[ 01-06-2003, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: jools ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts