Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here :D anyways...

Starting a 79 gs750 build soon, bike has been sitting for ages. Aside from getting the motor to start, I am looking to build it up a bit. Supposedly a GSXR 1100 stem is a good fit, but finding an entire 1100 front end (which I would need) is proving to be hard.

What forks/wheel etc could fit the 1100 lower + upper triple? Would probably end up using the M/C from a newer GSXR for the brakes, and stainless lines.

Also looking to fit a gs1100 swingarm, and a 160 or 180 tire in the back. Any idea what parts would play nice with that setup? (I am probably keeping the twin shocks)

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Hey and welcome to the site - I moved your thread to the Vintage Bikes forum, you are more likely to get attention and help here :cheers

Pics of the bike? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Will post pics as soon as I dig it out from under my uncles stairs. Supposedly he did a bunch of work to it before it sat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention it has no carbs haha. Will pm him though, to see if I can fit a nice set of flatsides on there or even FI :)

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
I would go with carbs... Converting to FI would take a ton of work and parts - apart from getting throttle bodies to fit, I'm guessing the fuel is gravity fed from the tank so you'd need to rig up a fuel pump - then there's finding a control unit that would work and programming it from blank (with an engine that's not running yet and I don't suppose you have a dyno), making a wiring harness to link everything and you'd need a bunch of sensors, etc., etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very true. Hopefully we get some temps a bit warmer then the -15c we have had all week so I can drag it out and post some pics :)

100% want to fit a 120/70-17 on the front and at least a 160/60-17 on the rear. I have a feeling that will be the hardest part of the entire build.

Edit: Is it possible to fit a 110/80-19 on the front (stock 100/90-19) and 130/80-18 on the rear? (stock 110/90-18) That would save me a bunch of coin on a swingarm and front end right there.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Hey guys new here :D anyways...

Starting a 79 gs750 build soon, bike has been sitting for ages. Aside from getting the motor to start, I am looking to build it up a bit. Supposedly a GSXR 1100 stem is a good fit, but finding an entire 1100 front end (which I would need) is proving to be hard.

What forks/wheel etc could fit the 1100 lower + upper triple? Would probably end up using the M/C from a newer GSXR for the brakes, and stainless lines.

Also looking to fit a gs1100 swingarm, and a 160 or 180 tire in the back. Any idea what parts would play nice with that setup? (I am probably keeping the twin shocks)
Welcome--it's about time someone posts somethin' up in here. Definitely post pics of your bike. There's another forum for these bikes and I have found it very helpful with my 82/750T.

Ed

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Very true. Hopefully we get some temps a bit warmer then the -15c we have had all week so I can drag it out and post some pics :)

100% want to fit a 120/70-17 on the front and at least a 160/60-17 on the rear. I have a feeling that will be the hardest part of the entire build.

Edit: Is it possible to fit a 110/80-19 on the front (stock 100/90-19) and 130/80-18 on the rear? (stock 110/90-18) That would save me a bunch of coin on a swingarm and front end right there.
I would take some measurements: Steering bearing inner diameters (top and bottom), distance between them, width of swingarm where it pivots and the swingarm bearing inner diameter - for starters anyway - and then go ask around in the Oil Cooled Forum (a little down the forum list). They are the closest to your bike chronologically and most likely to fit/easiest to be made to fit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 78 gs750..INCREDIBLY reliable machine, good 'ol points and kickstarter.
That baby fires up Every time, ride it across country, no problem.

You need to ensure All of the maintenance is done, before worrying about forks, lol.

-Fuel : clean gas tank, petcock.

-Carbs: should be Mikuni VM29's, break them down, dip them well. Order new gaskets and O-rings. Ensure fuel and air screws are set within the ballpark of specs, then Bench Sync them. Then fire it up and tune them via the "highest idle method"(google-hint hint). Then synchronize them with a sync gauge. Also, ensure floats are set to spec(25-27mm).

-Air: Use the FACTORY airbox, you need this as a benchmark to get the bike running properly. If you use Pods, you're in for a world of problems and a blown engine.(unless you bump up the Mains, needle clip, floats, etc....)

-Engine: Check the VALVES, if they fall below 0.03mm's, you can burn valves. The spec is 0.03-0.08, although many people run excess of 0.10 gaps....the looser the better, within reason.

-Spark: Spark plugs have a nice Blue spark? Also check the plug wires and caps..they are known to corrode on older bikes.

-Electronics: connections clean, no loose wires? 12.6v's at battery and 13.5 with bike running at Idle? If you rev to 5k, you should get around 14+. (to ensure charging system is working)

All of this, is common sense maintenance...but just thought I'd mention it anyways.
Thanks and good luck!

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
^^Friggin' awesome! You must be a member on GSR. I'm checking some electrics today on my "T". Taking a look at my contact points and evaluating for frayed wires.

Good lookin' out on the "Maintenance Tips" for the OP; and a good reminder for me.

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

Going to a 160 rear will most likely require a 5/8" offset countershaft sprocket. I'm doing a similiar project on my 82 GS 1100(Ive been saying that for years lol)and after some research I decided on going with a complete early model GSXR 1K front end/wheel. The swingarm/rear wheel/brakes will probably be off a 600 as well.

I found a very informative website with lots of info on swaps;when Im on my laptop later I will post the link. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
^^Friggin' awesome! You must be a member on GSR. I'm checking some electrics today on my "T". Taking a look at my contact points and evaluating for frayed wires.

Good lookin' out on the "Maintenance Tips" for the OP; and a good reminder for me.

Ed
My cover is blown!
I'm guessing your a fellow GSR member as well?(takes one to spot one)

I seriously think some of those guys have GS shop manuals in their bathroom for reading material.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
^^Yes Sir,

You gotta admit...there is a world of information on GSR and the members are very helpful. I've put my "T" together because of my persistence with parts searches.

Those guys do know their GS' and it pays dividends.

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 78 gs750..INCREDIBLY reliable machine, good 'ol points and kickstarter.
That baby fires up Every time, ride it across country, no problem.

You need to ensure All of the maintenance is done, before worrying about forks, lol.

-Fuel : clean gas tank, petcock.

-Carbs: should be Mikuni VM29's, break them down, dip them well. Order new gaskets and O-rings. Ensure fuel and air screws are set within the ballpark of specs, then Bench Sync them. Then fire it up and tune them via the "highest idle method"(google-hint hint). Then synchronize them with a sync gauge. Also, ensure floats are set to spec(25-27mm).

-Air: Use the FACTORY airbox, you need this as a benchmark to get the bike running properly. If you use Pods, you're in for a world of problems and a blown engine.(unless you bump up the Mains, needle clip, floats, etc....)

-Engine: Check the VALVES, if they fall below 0.03mm's, you can burn valves. The spec is 0.03-0.08, although many people run excess of 0.10 gaps....the looser the better, within reason.

-Spark: Spark plugs have a nice Blue spark? Also check the plug wires and caps..they are known to corrode on older bikes.

-Electronics: connections clean, no loose wires? 12.6v's at battery and 13.5 with bike running at Idle? If you rev to 5k, you should get around 14+. (to ensure charging system is working)

All of this, is common sense maintenance...but just thought I'd mention it anyways.
Thanks and good luck!
Completely forgot about this thread haha.

Here is a pic of it:

Ordered a 03 GSXR 1000 front end for it, rear end looks like it will get a bandit 1200 swingarm.

At the moment it has no spark and the starter motor locked up. Picking up a replacement tomorrow, then seeing if I can get spark. Gas tank has a bunch of rust/crap inside so I will get that out when I adapt the GSXR gas cap. Petcock might work but is rusted, so will be replaced anyways. Got a set of carbs off a running bike but no air box. I do not see the point buying one when I am doing a custom subframe, it would just be a waste of money.

At a minimum it needs new plug caps too, the ones on it are all cracked up. Once I get her to fire up and I know she runs, I will get into checking the valves and what not. There is a bunch of dirty connections that I have to go through and clean up when I get the chance.

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
Alright,

Back on track with your rebuild. The pic above looks like my "T", which is in the shed.

My tank has a little rust in it but I still ride it. I'll have to do the de-rusting tank suggested on nother site on my non-riding bike. Yep, if the fuel petcock sticks...it's best to get a new one. I'm looking for a secondary airbox too.

More pics would be GREAT...let's see what else you've done!

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No progress on it waiting for parts to come in. Rear end is on the way, still have to order the jet kit + various bearings etc

·
I'm Sticking Around
1,665 Posts
^^Cool brother...I'm in no hurry.

I just bought me a Motion Pro Tappet set...gotta do a Valve Adjustment and also replace the O-ring seal nut(s).

Ordered the valve cover gasket as well as NGK spark plugs. My pipes just started turning blue so I gotta do some adjustments on the forward part of the carbs...I'll get the correct name of the jets screws...but I know which ones I gotta adjust 1/4 turn. (I'm running lean)

Looking forward to your update...I'll check back periodically.

Ed

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
03 GSXR front will be too short ? I remember someone saying to us a 929 top tripple to get added length ???. Did you get the aftermarket VM29's or the factory VM26's ? A set of carb O rings will come in handy for the rebuild. www.motorcyclecarbs.com. IT WILL not hardly run without the air box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts