Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have read all the stickes on new bike riders and one thing i have read that makes me kind of nervous is does EVERYONE crash at least once in there time of riding. I mean i know people who have never crashed in a car granted a car is not like a bike but does everyone really crash at least once. And that brings me to my next question. I did want to get a suzuki gs500f but then some people told me i would get bored of it in a month so then i changed my mind to a gsx600 but after reading the stickies in this forum i am solidily chosing the gs500f. Is it a good choice because the dealer guy told me its a good starter bike and it looks nice to because i dont like the 650sv look. I dont want to buy a street bike that looks like a harley type style (thats what my dad rides). But once again alot of you say everyone falls which erks me because this bike has ferrings. And if i am guaranteed to fall what do i do about getting a ferring covered bike but not wanting to ruin it. Also is the T.E.A.M. arizona ( http://www.motorcycletraining.com/ ) a good class to take because thats the one i signed up for and is it better then the msf one that you all talk about that is the nation wide motorcycle test. Because this will be my first bike and i have never ridden bikes only quads (when i was young) and i have only very briefly rode a shifer quad a couple years back. ( I am 19 now). and one more thing this bike i buy will be my main mode of transportation so is the gs500 comfortable for anyone out there who has one. Because i will be driiving to collage and back which is about a 20 mile commute total.. Thanks for your comments in advance.

PS- Will i get bored of this bike in a month or will it last a while because i am planning on buying a new 05 one from a dealer because i will have about a grand to put down and even though i can do just liability even if i am finanicing it i am still going to do full coverage for a while tell i get used to it. So will this bike last me a year or two before i want to upgrade.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
The GS500 is THE best beginner bike there is at the moment, in my honest oppinion. You'll learn much faster on it because it's very forgiving and easy to ride. And you won't get bored - the only ones who claim they get "bored in a month" are the
s that only ride straight line. It has nice comfort too, so commuting isn't a problem.

For protecting the fairing, get som frame sliders. They are nylon attachments that stick out further than the fairing - if you crash, the bike will in most cases slide on those and stop before they wear down to the fairing. They are no guarantee, but they help a lot - trust me, I have "road tested" several sets...

Welcome to GdC

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
GS500 is an excellent choice to begin. When you're ready to move up with experience, it'll be an easy sell as every year, there's a pile of new riders looking for something to ride.

To be honest, not everybody goes down. There are a few lucky ones out there, but I'll wager they still managed to drop the bike outside of traffic. ... I forgot to put the kickstand down in a parking lot one time, it was early in the morning and I think I was still a little asleep. It was the first year I was riding. It happens.

Dress for the crash, and hope you never have to experience it. Learn to ride defensively.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hey man im in the same boat....but my dilema is im already have 2 jobs to save for my 600....and that will be my first bike.....i just dont have the ends to buy 1 then another...so i will just have to learn on the 600....

·
Registered
888 Posts
well honestly you can pick up a gs500 for like 2000 to 2500, and resell it next year for a few hundred less. It really wont hurt your pocket that bad, and in one year you will be ready for really take on that 600, instead of the baby steps you are going to have to take. Dont forget it isnt forgiving....one simple mistake...blip of the throttle...and you might loose controle of the bike. Its your life you are playing with so i suggest you get something alittle better ot start on. But then agian its your call, iam geting a gs500 in 1 week...and iam take my sweet as time untill i move up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts