Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first trackday in 2005. I think it was 2007 when I crashed at the track and had to claim insurance. From that point on, I did maybe one or two trackdays with a little reservation and intention to get a track bike. Fast forward to the Indy GP in 2013. Sat on the Million Edition GSXR 1000. The following Tuesday, I bought it. My 600 was then designated my track bike. I spent that summer and fall working, saving, and prepping the bike. I did a couple days in 2014, and 2015. A new house prevented any in 2016. 2017 I did about half a dozen. 2018, the first day of the season I highsided at NCM. Got the frame measured and it's toast.

I can't describe the fealings I've had over the past few days. I essentially have 3 options. Fix it, start over, or hang it up. My son turns 17 in a few weeks and any money I spend on track is starting to feel selfish. Hands down, the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle has been on the track. For the past 6 years, all of my effort has been focused on getting track ready. Warmers, tools, a truck and trailer, hell, even a regular gym regimen to get strong. That's a lot of time and effort. I sold the 1000cc about 6 weeks ago and bought a Harley for the street because the wife wasn't comfortable and track riding changes your definition of fun....

I'm 41 years old. I've done it, and I'm struggling with just hanging it up all together (frankly, I'm drunk right now due to that struggle). At one moment, it's sell it all..... part out the bike, sell the stands, the warmers, etc. In the next moment, it's buy a frame and rebuild. In the next, part this bitch out and buy something more modern. I could drop 4k and on lap 1 of the session 1 of my next day out, wad up another bike. Pile onto that, new leathers and a new lid. Personally, who the fuck cares. In the same instant, my son is headed to trade school soon. Is 41 when you look back on your life and say you've taken enough risks and it's time to be thankful you've make it through?

I've been a member here for 13 years. I've seen some of the OGs hang it up (AntD, MotoJoe, and a couple others). I've also seen silver haired men in the start of their retirement make fools of the cocky 20-somethings at every trackday I've been to. I don't know how to feel about this. Am I quitting? Is it just natural progression? I'm just lost. From what I've learned, I was just finding out what it meant to be fast. On the edge of the next level. Yet, here I am, wondering if it's all worth it. My wife is supportive no matter what and I couldn't be luckier. No decision feels right and I just don't know what to do.......

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have a daughter who is older than you. I say that so you'll know where I'm coming from.
The only advice I would give you is don't think you're getting old.
A person's 40's can and should be the best years of their life.
Whether your future includes fast motorcycles or not, enjoy life.
I hope I said that right.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
I say keep riding somehow whether it's trackdays or simply tooling around on the street in your spare time. Maybe you can get a set of dirtbikes for some off road fun. Nothing is ever going to come close to trackdays or even racing for those of us who competed. I've been doing motorcycles all my life so it's impossible for me to hang it up all together. Even when I wasn't racing or riding street I still had to get my rocks off on my dirtbikes in between.

It's easy to feel jaded after so many years in the game. I started off in the dirt as a kid, came to the street as a teenager, graduated both college and AMI Suzuki tech school in my early 20s, then worked the Suzuki dealer while racing with said dealer's name on my bike. Now in my mid 30s with only a street bike I feel like there's nothing left for me to accomplish in the sportbike game. With a pretty significant "riding resume" I can't help but feel like I've done it all. :dunno

But everytime I get on my bike and twist the throttle I remember why I do this shit!!! Even though I'm not dragging knees anymore or battling for trophies, I still have fun doing all the seemingly mundane things that riders do. The camaraderie, the shit talking, the bike nights, meeting new people. It's all good fun and best of all... I do it from a cool place have nothing to prove anymore. :)

To stir things up I'm looking into cruisers and adventure touring bikes these days. I'll never get rid of the Gixxer of course but I think it's time to start exploring other areas of motorcycling besides sportbikes and dirtbikes. Maybe you should do the same. :cheers

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
I've backed it down from racing to just TD's now at this point I'm thinking.

·
Administrator
13,276 Posts
You will truly know when you are ready to give it up ... if you still have the drive , do it.

Age is just a number , I’m knocking on 40 now ... i have plenty of injuries that should have made me stop riding , but I can’t and won’t (my wife understands)

In saying that my family has always been my number one focus , they are what I live for ... if I had to decide due to money restrictions there’s no choice , but like any passion you will find a way to make it work regardless !!!

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The drive and desire is there. The financial aspect and my responsibility of being a provider for my family are what's holding me back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
not knowing you or your situation other than im drunk quite often and that ive build up a brand new ducati and highsided it during its first day of the year id say sell what you've got and get a brand new bike with tc and that will help reduce a lot of the stress at the track, local dealer is doing 8600 no hidden fees for an 18 zx6r non abs.. anyone can come up with an extra 200/mo for a new bike even if you have to do a creative side job or something each mo. we all make sacrifices all the time, some financial, time, relationship, mental etc. anything worth pursuing is never just constant magic and no struggle

·
Administrator
13,276 Posts
The drive and desire is there. The financial aspect and my responsibility of being a provider for my family are what's holding me back.
That always should be number one ... maybe sit down with the wife and crunch the numbers.

That way you will know if it’s just you stressing or it’s a legitimate issue.

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the moment it's not. I have a brand new Harley in the garage, sold the 1000cc street bike, and we're headed to Mexico next week. My side hustle is really slowing down, and when the boy graduates high school, there will be some expenses with trade school. I've put some numbers together to rebuid. Looks like about $1800 using a mix of new/used parts. Not terrible. But I'm going to need a new helmet and some repairs done on the leathers too. I'm going to think on it a while......

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Myself, I'm 57 now and just getting back into it after a 5 year hiatus. When I retired from my career in 2013 I decided that I was getting too old to do this, not to mention the physical risk when paying for your own insurance.. But like many here, I've been riding all my life and couldn't just give it up. In 2013 I sold all my bikes and leathers/equipment, everything. Now I'm getting back into it. Got the 2017 1000r and new leathers,boots, equipment, on and on... I don't plan on pushing hard and taking a lot of risks but I do intend on going fast enough on TD's to enjoy feeling alive again.

·
Registered
525 Posts
People lose interest for various reasons. You gotta do what you gotta do. Btw, you're still a baby compared to my age. Way to early to get all depressed and shit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the beginning stages of mid-life crisis. I'm 50 now and have been dealing with this questioning phase for the last 10 years so I totally get you. I can't really give you any good advice but you are doing the right thing, and the right thing always sucks, but its right. You have to think about all the others around you and who your life affects.

Look at me, the last bike I had was a Ninja 1100, that I sold 20 some odd years ago and I vowed never to buy another street bike, now for my Birthday I just gifted myself a GSX-R750 that I've always wanted all my life. Do I need it? No. Am I any good at riding? No. But it makes me happy and I've promised my family that I am going to ride responsibly and be the most careful that I can be. A win-win I guess you could say.

Do what makes you happy but try to keep life in balance. It becomes all about compromises and learning to be happy although life ain't what you want or expected to be if that makes any sense...

My 1.5 cents.

And this is my 10th post! Yeah!!!!! :cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW, when I come to a crossroads like that I usually try something different. A few years ago I bought some jet skis and seadoos and have a blast doing that from that last hobby I had. LOL!

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Don't stop. You'll kick yourself.

To me, you have three options about a ride. First is to fix the 600. That is the worst option, methinks. Parts for those are harder to find than a 06-10 or 11-18 600, so you are limited on sources; therefore, is more expensive to fix.

Second, part the ol' girl out and use the money to "upgrade" to an 06-10, or an L1 and newer. (I know that second generation is not economical upon initial investment) Those first 5 model years and then latter 8 are pretty much lego within the generations once the street fairing is off. I just commented on another thread about a stator cover and if you click the link, you'll see it's the same damned part number across THIRTEEN years of the 600:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/11351-01H02

I've seen your knowledge over the years, so I am sure that you don't need a lesson on cross-referencing part numbers. The best part about sportbikes in general is that as long as you aren't looking for a front wheel, junk yards are filled to the tits with parts. Thirteen years of interchangeability? You're laughing. Trust me: 13 years of gixxer parts are stupid-easy to find. Trying to find parts for my '14 675R Daytona has illustrated to me just how spoiled I was. When I first prepped the 600, I was buying PAIRS of low-mileage wheels for $400 (rim, discs, bearings, muthafuckin' cush drive/sprocket carrier and all). I had to buy a brand new front wheel plus discs for almost the cost of what you need to pay to fix your machine in total for the Triumph (let's leave exchange rate out of this).

I literally have seven or eight BUCKETS of gixxer spare parts that I had accumulated over just three years and I only ever paid for two of them... for the revered Canadian currency of a cup of Tim Horton's coffee for the pair. Guys were THROWING spares at me. :lol

Third option is to part out the 600 and get an SV or Ninja650. They are cheap as fuck to run. You'll save a bundle on tires, alone. Parts are harder to find than 06-18 600s, but are still cheap AF.

Final point- If you're son is going to trade school, research the FUCK out of grants, bursaries, and scholarships. Go to the trade school he wants to go to and look at every cork board in the place. Go to the department instructors and administrators and ask about any, too. I don't wanna share too many personal details, but I am currently a student, again, at a trade school after an incomplete military career (and after two degrees) and the amount of free money available blows my mind. Long story short- a smart kid doing a good job looking for free money will never spend a dime of his own on his certification.

·
13,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ all true. The thought that holds me back about parting out and starting over is that I've already spent considerable time and money on this one. Already upgraded the suspension and brakes. Already sorted out geometry issues. Already have it tuned with a quick shifter. I found a 2013 600 and made the assumption that parting mine out and selling the factory parts I don't need from the new bike would get it home. Then I'm looking at controls, brakes, suspension, and a track body kit. That's a pretty expensive list.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
People lose interest for various reasons. You gotta do what you gotta do. Btw, you're still a baby compared to my age. Way to early to get all depressed and shit.
Yeah, I started riding before the OP was born. Had an 8 year break when my kids were little, then bought another bike at age 54. Had to take a year off for double knee replacement as well.

Family comes first.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Family comes first, true. But that also means that you should look for the well being of all family members, including yourself.

Back to the L1 bikes... My L1 600 was the first bike that I haven't really felt the need to upgrade the suspension. Sure, we all dream of Öhlins and stuff, but the stock stuff really works great. Also, re evaluate if you really need all that stuff for trackdays; I'm really amazed by how much money people in the US blow on trackday related stuff when they are not racing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
21 Participants
SPL170db
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing