Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I recently bought a new 2018 gsxr 600 and so far put only 200 miles on it. Couple weeks ago I was going out for a ride and took the bike out of the garage into the driveway and was trying to park it in the driveway to go back and close the garage door. In the excitement and rush to hit the road I didnt properly put down the side stand before letting it go and it went straight down. Luckily there were no damages to the fairings but the clutch lever broke. I have replaced the clutch lever, however after that drop I hear a little grinding sound when I switch from first to second gear and sometimes from second to third gear. Can anyone suggest what may be the issue. I have tried tuning the clutch lever free-play but I still hear that sound.

I have uploaded audio clips I recorded while riding. Notice sound it makes right after I change gears:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0JTl4g0VoWB

switched to 2nd gear at 0:6s mark and switched to third gear at 0:18s mark.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0PgkGQHbRtT

switched to second at 0:7s

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I’d try to take it back for warranty repair , I can’t hear it on tape so I can not say if u should be concerned

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I’d try to take it back for warranty repair , I can’t hear it on tape so I can not say if u should be concerned
I did call the dealership and spoke to service department, and they said they will do a diagnostics and send the report to Suzuki and if there is no fault found then I will be charged a $200 diagnostics fee.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Don't do that. There is no code what are they talking about. They are not going to find anything by plugging it in. I find it hard to believe that anything is broken. How long did you run the bike for after the tip over? Try it with very little clutch free play. Do you have access to another bike that you can see what it sounds like? A little noise is normal and maybe you did not notice it before. Finally if it is under warranty they should repair it for free. Find a reputable dealer and talk to them. Get some free advice from a friend or a group of riders somewhere. Those are some options that i can think of. Personally, bringing it to the dealer would not be an option for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't do that. There is no code what are they talking about. They are not going to find anything by plugging it in. I find it hard to believe that anything is broken. How long did you run the bike for after the tip over? Try it with very little clutch free play. Do you have access to another bike that you can see what it sounds like? A little noise is normal and maybe you did not notice it before. Finally if it is under warranty they should repair it for free. Find a reputable dealer and talk to them. Get some free advice from a friend or a group of riders somewhere. Those are some options that i can think of. Personally, bringing it to the dealer would not be an option for me.
Yes I dont intend to take it to the dealer and risk paying diagnostics fee. I dont recall hearing that sound before I tipped it over.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Yes I dont intend to take it to the dealer and risk paying diagnostics fee. I dont recall hearing that sound before I tipped it over.
Tell them to screw off, your vehicle is under warranty and they will not be charging a fee.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't hear any grinding.
I am not sure if I should even call it a grinding noise but I dont know how else to describe it. But if you listen to the timestamps I mentioned, there is a small sound right after I shift the gear

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
I am not sure if I should even call it a grinding noise but I dont know how else to describe it. But if you listen to the timestamps I mentioned, there is a small sound right after I shift the gear
Are you anywhere in AZ?

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
No I am in Washington
I think I've asked you that before haha anyway man there is suppose to be some noise when switching gears I couldn't hear it well from the audio. Always better in person. I would definitely make a scene at the dealership to the point where you get the issue at least diagnosed. You can always take it to a different zuki dealer if that one is giving you issues with that one. Any dealership can work with factory warranty. Obviously dont mention the drop but just say lately switching gears its grinding.

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
You might be experiencing hard shifts due to your clutch not being adjusted properly. I'm not sure how newer bikes work, but on my 04 1000 with a cable clutch there is a throw rod on the left side of the engine that needs to be adjusted occasionally.

·
Here is your "R"
6,922 Posts
Ive always like running 20/40 weight oil on my bikes, and I add a slight bit higher then the top of the sight glass. This will help you shift smoother, and because the oil is thicker help with the sounds and quiet things up.

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
870 Posts
Ive always like running 20/40 weight oil on my bikes, and I add a slight bit higher then the top of the sight glass. This will help you shift smoother, and because the oil is thicker help with the sounds and quiet things up.
Ummm...20/40 won't make a difference when the bike is running. The 20 means the oil is thicker at start up which means it could cause more sear on startups. I run a 10w50 but I live in a hot climate so it will be thicker when it's at operating temp

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

·
Here is your "R"
6,922 Posts
Ummm...20/40 won't make a difference when the bike is running. The 20 means the oil is thicker at start up which means it could cause more sear on startups. I run a 10w50 but I live in a hot climate so it will be thicker when it's at operating temp

This is what I have always used with great good results. I even had a highway mileage 750 last 2.5 years of hard racing. When I run 10/50 I get a lot of noise and the shifter is harder to shift. Sure it kills a fraction of performance, but I like the way it quiets the engine and transmission.

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
870 Posts
This is what I have always used with great good results. I even had a highway mileage 750 last 2.5 years of hard racing. When I run 10/50 I get a lot of noise and the shifter is harder to shift. Sure it kills a fraction of performance, but I like the way it quiets the engine and transmission.
I was just stating the fact that the 20 means viscosity of the oil when cold and the 40 is at temperature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm inclined to favor @gottspeed's suggestion. The clutch preload on Gixxers is pretty finicky and is done at the pushrod. The clutch may not be completely releasing even at full lever pull. Any dealer worth its salt should be willing to check the clutch adjustment free of charge. There is also no way possible that I know of that the electronics will indicate any problem by throwing a diagnostic code.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
90GixxerGeezer
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing