Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just blew the engine in my 07 r1, which only had 53k miles, and just bought a 2015 600 with 6k miles. My main goal with the replacement was to get a light bike with an engine that loves to rev. I never did gel with the r1-heavy, topping out 1st gear had you pushing 80mph, and soft under 10k rpm. Before the r1, I had an ex500 that lasted 109k miles. Thanks, Taro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8you4t, will do. Got back late last night. I have to adjust the throttle slack, which is way loose. I'll snap some pics then.

Carnage, yes. I bought the 04 500 new late in 05. That was a great bike to learn everything on :)

I bought the r1 used with 14k miles on it and was disappointed when the engine let go after only having it for 39k miles.

BTW-I just picked up my 600 at West Orlando Powersports.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here she is. She's a 2015 with a little over 6k miles. The previous owner sprinkled it with Yosh parts, including an R77 slip on and case savers. She looks like she was treated with love except the tip of the slip on which is slightly damaged (I couldn't find any other signs of damage). Hopefully, she'll last longer than 40k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad. It seems I cannot read. It's an R11, not 77. The top edge of the tip is damaged. I'm hoping it was damaged on another bike and the previous owner installed it anyway. It sounds pretty cool. Another nice surprise was that she's wearing essentially new Pirelli Rossi 3s.

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,561 Posts
Looks like the PO rolled it backwards into something or a car rolled into it. Yoshimura ought to sell the end cap if you want to fix it. I gather that the R-11 comes from Japan while the Alpha T is US.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Y'all are amazing. I just found that the piece of plastic bisecting the rear brake light was broken.

I searched for replacement caps, but it seems Yoshimura has a repair/refresh program where you mail the muffler to them. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they'll just ship me the cap.

First tank of gas on highway riding resulted in 42mpg. Better than the 32mpg for the r1.

BTW-thanks for the welcome and support.

·
16,990 Posts
Y'all are amazing. I just found that the piece of plastic bisecting the rear brake light was broken.

I searched for replacement caps, but it seems Yoshimura has a repair/refresh program where you mail the muffler to them. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they'll just ship me the cap.

First tank of gas on highway riding resulted in 42mpg. Better than the 32mpg for the r1.

BTW-thanks for the welcome and support.
:cheers

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Carnage, yes. I bought the 04 500 new late in 05. That was a great bike to learn everything on :)
Wow....100K+ on an EX500! You sir are a bad motha fucka! And crazy too! My kinda guy. :cheers

I actually owned an older EX500 briefly when I was a teenager. You should enjoy yourself around here. :cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, Sir. That was a great first bike. It did it all. It was a decent commuter, my wife enjoyed riding pillion, and I took it to my first track day.

That being said, the GSX-R600 is freakin' AWESOME!!! Everything is light and alive. It feels like it has more mid range than my r1 with -1 in the front and +2 in the rear ever did. The r1 is subdued, only coming alive past 10k rpm (maybe it's a Yamaha thing).

On the 2nd tank, my mpg dropped to 38. Still better than the r1. In case anyone is interested, my ex500 reliably reached 45-48 mpg.

On an unrelated note, I watched a YouTube review on the 2015 gixxer 600 borrowed from a dealership and it seems the clutch free play was enormous. Is this a Suzuki thing? Even though the place from where I bought mine wasn't a Suzuki dealership, I was surprised that they would release it to a customer with that much free play in the clutch and throttle. Anyway, enough rambling for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know I might catch some grief for this, but I added some SW Motech Blaze saddlebags. I had these on the r1 and I love them. I'm a commuter and they allow me to bring my rain gear, extra layers in winter, tools, and lunch. Makes a sport bike somewhat practical.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,260 Posts
Nothing wrong with that ... I’m still using a backpack , I like it because I can just step off the bike and wear it with me

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Ideally, I would prefer a backpack, but I work at a prison and so I can't bring in tools, cell phone, etc. I have the bags secured with a cable and luggage locks which are laughable, but it allows me to store my stuff and be in compliance with security policies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sad first post but I need some help. Chain broke and busted the crankcase on my 2002 gsx 600. Can I just replace the chain and case?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ajdiamond, first off welcome. Bummer about the damage. I hope you didn't get hurt. There are so many ways that a broken chain can end seriously. Hopefully, the engine was shut off quickly and small foreign bits didn't get sucked up into the oil pump.

Your best bet is to start a new thread in the 600/750 general forum. That way more people will see your question and be able to give more replies. Best wishes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got excited too soon. On the second day, a day where I hit a lot of stop and go traffic. My exhaust side bag melted. The vendor said they couldn't warranty it due to the aftermarket exhaust. So now, I'm back at square one with a lighter wallet. Oh well. Still loving the bike though!

Attachments

·
16,990 Posts
Sad first post but I need some help. Chain broke and busted the crankcase on my 2002 gsx 600. Can I just replace the chain and case?
Sorry to hear, but hijacking someone's thread is a dick move.
Please start, if you already haven't, a thread in the appropriate bike specific section..

Welcome to GDC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
6 Participants
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing