Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! New to the site but not to motorbikes. Picked-up a brand new left over 2018 GSX-R1000R in triton blue almost 20 years after purchasing my first street bike......which was a GSX-R600. After spending more than a decade on european superbikes I'm looking forward to the reduced maintenance costs of a Japanese bike. And yes, the mods have already begun!

Stay safe, stay healthy!

Administrator
Welcome aboard mate ... post some pics 馃憤

Registered
Welcome aboard Trustiieee,,
you're in a similar boat I was in roughly this time last year - back on a GSX-R (1000), but in my case, previously it was a GSX-R750M, and it was more like 26-27 years ago but I also had other bikes in the meantime. At the beginning of 2019, I picked up a new GSX-R1000 L8 (I actually had it held over through Xmas 2018, til the new year). I was eyeing up a GSX-R1000R at another bike shop but was offered a GSX-R1000A (the one without all the race fruit on it, but with ABS & TC etc) for the same price as the GSX-S1000-F/A, so for that huge saving I just couldn't turn it down - and they say that "once in a lifetime" bargains don't exist - well this one certainly did. He had a quota to sell by Xmas, and I was lucky enough to get one of the last two, of course at a much (even more than the others) reduced price on those last few days. I didn't have the money with me so he held it over until the new year, with a small deposit of course.

What he said at the time made sense,, that the R model has much more race orientated suspension and for a guy of my stature it might be a little too harsh, even at softest settings. I can vouch for that because I was toying with one only a few minutes before and yes, the suspension was quite rigid, so the remedy was quite clear - at that price, it was gift-horse time.. When I finally set the sag on this bike, the rear shock unit was almost soft enough for me. I'd like to have softened it by another turn or so but it's there's only one more thread turn left before we hit fresh air, so it stays at 99% good instead of 100% perfect.. Since then, I have spent much money on accessories - radiator guard,, darker fairing blade,, engine covers,, headlight protector,, rear seat cowling, engine sliders etc, to name but a few.

I just love the bike.. Anyway, good to see ya...

Al

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I've only owned the bike for a few weeks so it's just trinkets for now. Just did the seat cowl and Cox radiator guards this morning.

Stay healthy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A couple photos. You might see the radiator guard photo in the Cox Racing website if Andrew uses it. Still waiting for the fender eliminator to arrive....which might be a while under the current global circumstances.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After completing the 600 mile service at my local dealer, it was time to install the Mustard Bikes fender eliminator, Antigravity battery and Lightech steering stem nut. Due to the pandemic the Mustard Bikes fender eliminator took 6 weeks to arrive from Australia, but it was worth the wait. The exacting fit and attention to detail are impressive, and it accommodates US license plates without the use of adapters. And did I mention that the LED license plate light is plug & play...yes, Mustard Bikes sourced an OE matching connector!

Registered
You know,, when I first bought my GSX-R1000A L8 in January 2019, I considered getting a fender eliminator before long for it but after seeing my brother ride through a small puddle at a roadworks and seeing that dirty muddy water flick up and over onto the back end of the bike and a few spots onto his jacket, I eliminated the eliminator from my list of extras. I got a bit of that mud on the bottom of the fairing, from the front wheel but the rear was nice and clean except for the underside of the mudguard/fender. I guess functionality ruled the day.. I did get rid of the standard muffler though,, I mean, that looked so horrible that functionality or not, it had to go. I replaced it with the Yoshi R-11 Sq and kept the baffle in it. I can't notice any gain or loss in power at all but it sounds so nice now..
I hope you enjoy your project..
Al

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the Yoshimura engine plugs got the boot, because they caused an oil leak.....that's unacceptable. So in comes Driven Racing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just finished installing the R&G Second Skin dash protector. The results were pretty "clear." Now I'm a lot less worried about scratching the dashboard screen. These were out-of-stock throughout the U.S., but Durian Bikers in Malaysia had a couple on the shelf. It only took 3 days to arrive in the U.S. via DHL.....that in itself is pretty amazing, especially in the middle of a pandemic!

Registered
Which "second skin" is that one, protector or anti-glare? I'll tell you why I want to know...
Just before COVID lockdown my brother and I sent to England, to Speedo Angels for some dash screen covers/protectors (which ever they're called). He has a GSX-S1000FA, I have a GSX-R1000 L8 and we couldn't agree on which one would be best for each of us, so we both bought a protector (shiny and clear) and a glare eliminator. They arrived only a couple of weeks back, thanks to COVID. I suggested he try the anti glare one as he complains about not being able to see his speed very well with the sun at various angles to him - that virtually cured his problem instantly, but I haven't put either of mine on yet as the anti glare cover looks no different than what's already on the dash. Looking at the above shot of your screen, can you tell me if you think it makes any difference...!!!

When I first got my bike, I looked at the dash and thought there was a sheet of plastic covering the new screen and I tried to remove it by using my finger nail. Of course I soon realized it was the actual screen, but not before I left 2 finger nail scratches almost right it from top to bottom. Actually, you can hardly notice them until you're on the right angle, then there they are, visibly sticking out like dogs b*lls, so I thought a cover might hide them, but looking at the cover, it's almost identical to the factory screen surface. I mean, what's the use in having 2 anti-glare covers,, or maybe it might help things...!!!
Thanks,
Al

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
My dash protector is not the anti-glare, it's the protector only. It only covers the info. screen segment of the dash, not the sections containing the shift light and GSXR logo. But once applied it makes the instrument screen appear as if it's crystal clear with a depth that I never noticed without it. I will admit that I have noticed some reflective glare in the panel, but in the normal course of riding it hasn't lasted long enough to be a concern. I've seen some of the anti-glare screen protectors and don't really like the fuzzy haze that they give the dash....but that's just my personal preference.

Registered
Ahh, cheers..
I think I'll just decide some time in the future (if at all). I look at my brothers bike and his with the anti-glare on looks exactly like what I have already have and that's more than acceptable to me.
Thanks for the reply,
Al

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up a pair of BMC air filters and 8 quarts of Motul E-Tech PAO/Ester. I don't like the down-time associated with washing reusable performance air filters......so one gets oiled and installed while the other dries out. My local Suzuki shop was clearing out their Motul E-Tech for only $8.30/qt....so I bought what they had on the shelf. Came back, changed the oil and filter, re-oiled the chain, rechecked tire pressure, cleaned out the air box, oiled and dropped in the new BMC filter and headed out for a July 4th weekend ride!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts