Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

:punk

For those of you doing HID setups on your bikes, notice the difference in light quality between just sticking a HID kit in your stock headlight housing..............

and actually retro-fitting HID projectors in the housing instead

Big difference there.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
good read!!!

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
There is a lot of misunderstanding with HID's. First and foremost HID's use high voltage. No H4 or H7 HID style bulb will come anywhere near close to a real HID system. Halogens use a bulb and HID's use a capsule. Since HID's run on high voltage they will all have transformers. HID's usually do not have two capsules to have a true hogh and low beam. Some are a HID standard with a halogen high beam and some have servo motors to move the capsule and focus the beam differently in the reflector. HID conversions in non HID approved houusings are against the law and for good reason. Normal halogens use a much broader dispersion than HID's and when the increased candlepower from a HID is used in a halogen housing you could blind oncoming traffic. Not the way to avoid an accident. Also HID's don't really come on until the mercury in the capsule is fully vaporized. Watch them get brighter after a few minutes.

I'm all for better visibility but not at the cost of safety.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
markbsae said:
There is a lot of misunderstanding with HID's. First and foremost HID's use high voltage. No H4 or H7 HID style bulb will come anywhere near close to a real HID system. Halogens use a bulb and HID's use a capsule. Since HID's run on high voltage they will all have transformers. HID's usually do not have two capsules to have a true hogh and low beam. Some are a HID standard with a halogen high beam and some have servo motors to move the capsule and focus the beam differently in the reflector. HID conversions in non HID approved houusings are against the law and for good reason. Normal halogens use a much broader dispersion than HID's and when the increased candlepower from a HID is used in a halogen housing you could blind oncoming traffic. Not the way to avoid an accident. Also HID's don't really come on until the mercury in the capsule is fully vaporized. Watch them get brighter after a few minutes.

I'm all for better visibility but not at the cost of safety.
+1, i agree with what you said, I think stock high beams(even the low beams) provide plenty of night time visibility, there is no reason to blind others on the road

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.