Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking through a range of different options for GPS lap timers as I think it will help with consistency. Ideally looking for something with and easy-to-read read out. Have seen some nice dash swap units like the HM dash etc but they are quite pricey. The in-built functionality might be good though as some tracks dont like timing around here.

At the moment cant really find too much that's reasonably priced so thought I might ask what people are using that works. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I personally use the Starlane Stealth GPS-3X, it works well and is pretty easy to setup and it is really small which I really like. Once it is setup for a track it automatically knows where you are. It also has the ability to do video overlay.

I did some testing for Yoyodyne who distributes Starlane products to the US. He had me test the Athon unit. I did some cool track overlay things with it. At one point I put a camera facing forward and one facing backwards and did a picture in picture with video overlay.

Z

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check it out, video overlay sounds like a great feature... that could be useful. JK the bluetooth option looks handy but I am looking for something with a decent readout on the bike. I am reading some units do predictive timing and some show + or - on your previous lap. Some of these sound like pretty trick features. I guess its only useful if you dont have to put any thought into reading it though.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Using your phone/cheap phone is an inexpensive way to get a proper laptimer. You can mount it where you want it to be and use live timer. It shows you sector times etc. If you want even more data, get this http://www.racedac.com. You can also use Racechrono data to make a video overlay.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I really only used the GPS timer for two things. Lap times and for split times. The Starlane lets you setup 3 splits. I generally set them up for little straights where I'm going to be tucked under the windscreen. It will tell you if you are going faster or slower than the best lap of the session or best lap of the day depending on how you set it up. It motivates me two ways, if my time is off I know I need to make it up. If my time is faster it motivates me to throw down a heater lap.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using and Aim Solo for quite a few years. Data logger is like having your own personal coach. Download your track day with all relevant data such as exact braking point on each turn, tracking your trail braking, turn in points, exit points. You can overlay one lap to another or lots of laps. Set up sectors and compare. Gives you potential best lap times, etc. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aim Solo 2 is looking good. The Solo 2 DP has a connection to the ECU, but costs hundreds more.

Any reason to get the DP for a track day rider? I could geek out on the data but lap time data is what I need: I’m no where close to the bike’s potential.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ordered the Aim Solo 2 plus and GSXR bracket from SBTG.

Did not get the DL for several reasons. The price is $300 more plus the data cable. I’m just not at a level where it would help me that much. Also planning to use it for my car for track nights, and that seems to require a different model. So the Solo 2 is the lowest common denominator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Garandman
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing