Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Just got my first bike, 2008 GSXR 600, and I really need it lowered, Im 5'2 barely touching the ground. Getting adjustable links for the rear but I need some suggestions on the front end. From what I understand the '08 is diff from previous yrs, was advised to compress the forks :dunno I've read that the handling will be affected, but will it really matter for a beginner who hasn't found a comfort zone with the bike yet?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated, thx in advance:banana

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Bad, bad, bad first bike. Try using the search as there are tons of threads about this already. Start by shaving the seat before you change the geometry of the bike. Get some lug boots/thick soled boots to give a little extra height and learn to one leg the bike.

PS Get some frame sliders before you start to ride the bike as you will drop it. Get good gear and take MSF if you haven't already.

A quick search yielded this:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223293

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Hello! Just got my first bike, 2008 GSXR 600, and I really need it lowered, Im 5'2 barely touching the ground. Getting adjustable links for the rear but I need some suggestions on the front end. From what I understand the '08 is diff from previous yrs, was advised to compress the forks :dunno I've read that the handling will be affected, but will it really matter for a beginner who hasn't found a comfort zone with the bike yet?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated, thx in advance:banana

Before you do that, keep a few things in mind first

1 - the springs in that bike are WAY too stiff for you. They are probably good for someone in the 190lbs range. So right off the bat you will not be able to properly set the rider sag unless you put softer springs in the bike. Not only is it not going to sag properly, but its also dangerous for someone that light to be riding it like that (I'm assuming a 5'2 girl is about 105 lbs in weight)

2 - you can shave some foam out of the seat to get about another inch.

Do these 2 first and then assess where to go from there.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
let me explain...im 5'4 155lbs guy.

i bought a gsxr 600 in 07 brand new. I lowered the rear basically all the way! I used to ride that way every day for 2 years.

You can get used to the way your own bike handles. alot of other people say blah blah blah its not good this and that. It depends on your own rider ability to adapt and overcome. As long as you push your bike to the limits in the corners you will learn how far you can actually go. (i only droped my bike once and that was due to a car infront of me slamming on its brakes when i was not ready and i hit gravel (went down at about 6mph))

me when i had that bike lowered like that. i could loose all my chicken strips and i learned how to ride and how the bike would react to diff situations. But i could never ever get the bike to do a wheelie as easy as others. for me to do a wheelie id have to go full throttle (1st gear) then pre load frt suspension about 91/2 rpms then pull full throttle and pull as hard as i could with my arms to get it to stand up! but hey i adapted and over came ;).

now that i own a 1000 k9 that is not lowered at all, and i can tell this bike can round corners unlike my k7 600 because the suspension is not compressed!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Bad, bad, bad first bike. Try using the search as there are tons of threads about this already. Start by shaving the seat before you change the geometry of the bike. Get some lug boots/thick soled boots to give a little extra height and learn to one leg the bike.

PS Get some frame sliders before you start to ride the bike as you will drop it. Get good gear and take MSF if you haven't already.

^its not bad bad bad. just diff!

Deff though take msf coarses, even though some are gay they teach you a little bit plus good on taking off money on ur insurance. Always ride with boots, gloves, preffered padded leather jacket/mesh.

I agree with samantha on the frame sliders just incase you hit gravel like i did when i started, deff will save bike and frame/fairings!

GOOD LUCK and try to ride with a vet rider, they can teach you alot!

dont compress the forks!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I appreciate your feedback and didnt think to do a search, I just signed up today. I guess its all preference in the lowering aspect of it all, from what I gathered in the search I did. I have taken the MSF and Im def goin to look into shavin the seat. Great link for that by the way, much appreciated. We'll see what happens. Thanks again

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
now that i own a 1000 k9 that is not lowered at all, and i can tell this bike can round corners unlike my k7 600 because the suspension is not compressed!
moreso because you didn't "hot-rod" the chassis. Hot-rodding is when you tilt the bike out of balance by only lowering the rear. The opposite is called stink-bugging, that's when the front end squats down too much.

Hot-rodding can be very danergerous especially when cornering because by having the back end squatting down so much it takes alot of the weight bias off the front end making it steer vaguely in corners. Good recipe for a lowside.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you do that, keep a few things in mind first

1 - the springs in that bike are WAY too stiff for you. They are probably good for someone in the 190lbs range. So right off the bat you will not be able to properly set the rider sag unless you put softer springs in the bike. Not only is it not going to sag properly, but its also dangerous for someone that light to be riding it like that (I'm assuming a 5'2 girl is about 105 lbs in weight)

2 - you can shave some foam out of the seat to get about another inch.

Do these 2 first and then assess where to go from there.

Thanks for that, I'll take that into consideration, the springs that is. Shaving the seat seems like the obvious choice in gettin some footage to start with anyways. I'll put my results up with that hopefully this weekend, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me explain...im 5'4 155lbs guy.

i bought a gsxr 600 in 07 brand new. I lowered the rear basically all the way! I used to ride that way every day for 2 years.

You can get used to the way your own bike handles. alot of other people say blah blah blah its not good this and that. It depends on your own rider ability to adapt and overcome. As long as you push your bike to the limits in the corners you will learn how far you can actually go. (i only droped my bike once and that was due to a car infront of me slamming on its brakes when i was not ready and i hit gravel (went down at about 6mph))

me when i had that bike lowered like that. i could loose all my chicken strips and i learned how to ride and how the bike would react to diff situations. But i could never ever get the bike to do a wheelie as easy as others. for me to do a wheelie id have to go full throttle (1st gear) then pre load frt suspension about 91/2 rpms then pull full throttle and pull as hard as i could with my arms to get it to stand up! but hey i adapted and over came ;).

I see what your saying and again it goes into one's own preference. I dont want to necessarily flat foot it, just want to feel comfortable and confident in my "footage". Not tryin to do any crazy riding, just want to "ENJOY" the ride. Preciate the feedback.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
moreso because you didn't "hot-rod" the chassis. Hot-rodding is when you tilt the bike out of balance by only lowering the rear. The opposite is called stink-bugging, that's when the front end squats down too much.

Hot-rodding can be very danergerous especially when cornering because by having the back end squatting down so much it takes alot of the weight bias off the front end making it steer vaguely in corners. Good recipe for a lowside.
i suppose i was hot rodding, bc all i had done was the rear squated all the way down. i never was in a low side and i def wore down my sides. Depends on the rider and how sensitive/ how good they are at feeling the bike operation.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
i suppose i was hot rodding, bc all i had done was the rear squated all the way down. i never was in a low side and i def wore down my sides. Depends on the rider and how sensitive/ how good they are at feeling the bike operation.

Wearing the sides of your tires down is not a good indication of riding well. Hell, you can wear off your chicken strips using COMPLETELY incorrect and dangerous form. Look up the word "counterleaning" :)

Having an improperly setup bike and having to ride around it's handicap is not really the brightest thing to do don't you think? You weren't adapting to it and riding through it. You were limited in what you could do with it and had to inevitably back it down so you didn't crash. You even said yourself that you now have a new 1000 and didn't drop the back end out and it now handles properly.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
Very very true. Make sure you do it right. If you lower the rear, make sure you level it by lowering the front, too.

You only have so much room on the front, though, so be sure you don't take the rear down too far.

Also, once you've lowered the suspension, you'll need to readjust everything, just to be sure.

Play safe. Good on ya for coming on to ask the questions.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Wearing the sides of your tires down is not a good indication of riding well. Hell, you can wear off your chicken strips using COMPLETELY incorrect and dangerous form. Look up the word "counterleaning" :)

Having an improperly setup bike and having to ride around it's handicap is not really the brightest thing to do don't you think? You weren't adapting to it and riding through it. You were limited in what you could do with it and had to inevitably back it down so you didn't crash. You even said yourself that you now have a new 1000 and didn't drop the back end out and it now handles properly.
I wore off my chicken strips with experiance with that bike lowered all the way in the rear and i used the best form one could use, and i think me having the record of never low siding or high siding that bike proves that. (i was not counterleaning) - your comming at me all wrong .....

About the 1000 yeah it handles better becauase it is allowing the suspension to actually work. i was limited yeah but it wasnt that horrible of a thing, people can do it. I mean put my little 150lb ass on a 1000, then put some 230lbs guy on a 1000. Differnt handleing comes into play if your both running on the same suspension set up. Theres really no arguement here.

You just have to learn the bike and know its boundaries - POINT

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hit up a forum member called Katnip. I know she had to lower her bike and many people were flaming her because of her choice lol. However she's done some great work on the bike as well as the new paint job. I'd definitely look into what she did to help with her height challenge.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I'm 5'1" & on my 2nd gixxer. I want both balls of my feet on the ground, in case of rough ground, etc. I did it having a friend shave my seat & narrow it's width. He puts a layer of really good foam in it to keep it comfortable, then takes it to an upholstery shop to have the cover re-stapled. He says that's the hardest part. MUCH more comfortable than stock IMHO.

I also use boots with thick soles. One company makes a woman's boot with an inside lift, but I can't find their name off-hand. I also find the pants I wear can make a big difference. Textile (but armored) are more forgiving. Leather sometimes sags in the crotch & effectively shortens my legs.

I've found this easier than lowering every bike I get. And, yes, definitely get some frame sliders on it. Saves a lot in those driveway drops. Most of us do it; so don't sweat it when it happens. Just have fun!

Good luck!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
I'm 5'1" & on my 2nd gixxer. I want both balls of my feet on the ground, in case of rough ground, etc. I did it having a friend shave my seat & narrow it's width. He puts a layer of really good foam in it to keep it comfortable, then takes it to an upholstery shop to have the cover re-stapled. He says that's the hardest part. MUCH more comfortable than stock IMHO.

I also use boots with thick soles. One company makes a woman's boot with an inside lift, but I can't find their name off-hand. I also find the pants I wear can make a big difference. Textile (but armored) are more forgiving. Leather sometimes sags in the crotch & effectively shortens my legs.

I've found this easier than lowering every bike I get. And, yes, definitely get some frame sliders on it. Saves a lot in those driveway drops. Most of us do it; so don't sweat it when it happens. Just have fun!

Good luck!

I applaud you for actually thinking about the problem and finding a smart solution to it.

:cheers

This post should be referenced by every panty waist guy who is 5'2 and taller that complains he HAS to lower his bike :crying

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Good luck!

Thanks Luna for your response!! You gave me some great ideas :thumbup I found some inserts to put in my boots and I also shaved my seat last night, and yea stapling the cover back on is the hardest part! But its done and it feels pretty good. I can touch the ground with both feet now, which in turn makes me feel real confident on my bike. At this point I dont feel like I need to lower my bike anymore :woot Thx again for your feedback :punk

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I think you will be much happier with this setup rather then lowering the bike. Glad it worked out for you :thumbup :banana :banana :banana

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you will be much happier with this setup rather then lowering the bike. Glad it worked out for you :thumbup :banana :banana :banana

Preciate that. Between that link you gave me and a youtube video I found on shaving the seat, really helped me out :biggrin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts