Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tag bracket like most others the one that mounts to the swiong arm and clearly displays my tag only it is vertical instead of horizontal ticket infraction 316.605.1 Flordia state statue i was wondeing if there were any felliow gixxer riders who are cops that could give me some insite.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Damn bro - that does suck...I am not a cop, but my advise would be to just mount it to the undertail and aviod the cops as much as possible. You can try to fight it, but the system is the system. They are all anti-sport bikes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have same mounting plate on swingarm, im pretty sure it varies state to state and depends on who pulls you over, but my is mounted vertical, i kinda worry about getting ticket but not for sure if i will get one b/c of the vertical mounting

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a tag bracket like most others the one that mounts to the swiong arm and clearly displays my tag only it is vertical instead of horizontal ticket infraction 316.605.1 Flordia state statue i was wondeing if there were any felliow gixxer riders who are cops that could give me some insite.
Damn, that sucks.

Where are you located in Florida?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the problem you will have is that the statute specifically reads "on the rear" and "securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, with all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear". You may find a Judge or Magistrate that doesn't have a problem with the swing arm style mount, but you may not...There are worse tag violations, like those that bolt them flush to the undertail or even in front of the rear tire where there really is no chance of seeing them. Might as well not have a tag on it to start with. And while there are those Officers that don't like them, there are plenty that have no problem with them and even own them. I would say that it is a small percentage of riders that ruin it for the rest of us who like to have a little fun and enjoy ourselves. Think about it...the guy that usually has something bad to say is the one that was doing a wheelie through traffic and then fleeing at 100+ endangering the rest of the motoring public. And the guy talks trash when he gets caught, yet he made <u>all the choices</u> that led up to him getting a ticket or going to jail. Got on the soap box a little, but basically we are our own worst enemy. Here is the internet site for traffic laws in Florida that you can research. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0316/titl0316.htm

·
Registered
128 Posts
A friend of mine just got one for having his aimed upward. He mounted it just over the fender on the undertail which angles it just slightly. This is the same mount that my friend used and got ticket

·
Registered
81 Posts
it should only be a small fine and no points right? At least in jersey it is. Pay it i'm sure youve done a lot of illegal shit you never got caught for, gotta pay up once in a while and this is much better than a speeding ticket!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Unless you mount it in the stock "area" your asking to get pulled over.
Saw a show on tv with an camera crew in a highway patrol car and a bike pulls up next to them, looks at the cop, than takes off!! The cop said this (pretty much word for word) to the camera: "look at where his plate is mounted, he knows we cant see it, and he also knows we cant chase him in traffic at those speeds due to chase saftey rules".
So thats what the cops think of people with there plate mounted in hard to see locations, "those are the riders that run from us and fuck with us cops"

But a ticket for the swingarm mount is lame, but it is the result of the effect suids have made on cops opinions of us!!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I think the problem you will have is that the statute specifically reads "on the rear" and "securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, with all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear". You may find a Judge or Magistrate that doesn't have a problem with the swing arm style mount, but you may not...There are worse tag violations, like those that bolt them flush to the undertail or even in front of the rear tire where there really is no chance of seeing them. Might as well not have a tag on it to start with. And while there are those Officers that don't like them, there are plenty that have no problem with them and even own them. I would say that it is a small percentage of riders that ruin it for the rest of us who like to have a little fun and enjoy ourselves. Think about it...the guy that usually has something bad to say is the one that was doing a wheelie through traffic and then fleeing at 100+ endangering the rest of the motoring public. And the guy talks trash when he gets caught, yet he made <u>all the choices</u> that led up to him getting a ticket or going to jail. Got on the soap box a little, but basically we are our own worst enemy. Here is the internet site for traffic laws in Florida that you can research. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0316/titl0316.htm
Yeah, that statute is pretty vague and could be taken different ways. I would personally try and fight it in court and bring pictures of your bike and how you have it mounted to show the judge. Take pictures from in a car from an officer's perspective so the judge can see it. On most swing arm plate mounts, you can easily see the plate, it's just not in the normal location that they are on most motorcycles. Some officers hate bikers and love to pick on them, others let them get away with quite a bit.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am a cop in Jersey. Out statue states that the plate must be horizontal and so many feet off the ground. I can't speak for Florida. In jersey it is a no point, payable ticket. My suggestion would be to mount the plate legally and DO NOT go to court and fight it. Here is why. You plead not guity and make the cop come to court which pisses him off because most cops hate court. 2nd if he ever pulls you over in the future, say for speeding. Trust me he will remember you and more that likely write you a speeding ticket cause you made him come to court on a B.S. ticket. Now say you legally mount your tag, and the same cop now pulls you over for speeding. He will remember you and say to himself at least he listened to me and fixed his tag. He now may be more inclined to either let you go or cut you a brake. Just be polite and respectful. Show attitude and cops are going to fuck you with the pen. So just eat the ticket and be thankful it wasn't for speeding.

If you ever do get pulled over for speeding, be honest and ask the officer if he could write you a "no point" ticket rather than a speeding ticket. If the cop is just looking for a stat he won't care if its a no pointer as long as he gets his ticket. Its not a guarantee, but it ups your chances for not getting points. I don't write tickets to bikes, but if your an asshole to me, I will write you for riding a moped.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I am a cop in Jersey. Out statue states that the plate must be horizontal and so many feet off the ground. I can't speak for Florida. In jersey it is a no point, payable ticket. My suggestion would be to mount the plate legally and DO NOT go to court and fight it. Here is why. You plead not guity and make the cop come to court which pisses him off because most cops hate court. 2nd if he ever pulls you over in the future, say for speeding. Trust me he will remember you and more that likely write you a speeding ticket cause you made him come to court on a B.S. ticket. Now say you legally mount your tag, and the same cop now pulls you over for speeding. He will remember you and say to himself at least he listened to me and fixed his tag. He now may be more inclined to either let you go or cut you a brake. Just be polite and respectful. Show attitude and cops are going to fuck you with the pen. So just eat the ticket and be thankful it wasn't for speeding.

If you ever do get pulled over for speeding, be honest and ask the officer if he could write you a "no point" ticket rather than a speeding ticket. If the cop is just looking for a stat he won't care if its a no pointer as long as he gets his ticket. Its not a guarantee, but it ups your chances for not getting points. I don't write tickets to bikes, but if your an asshole to me, I will write you for riding a moped.
It's good to hear this from a cop. I understand what you are saying and have nothing but respect for the police. However, you contradict yourself a little I think in your post. If the cop gets pissed for having to go to court for a "B.S. ticket," then why did he write the "B.S. ticket" for that in the first place? I don't mean any disrespect to you or any other cop or person on this board, I just don't think it's right. I do understand what you are saying though and agree with it for the most part.

·
Registered
81 Posts

you know what, its cops like you why i always respect the officers! Everything you said is so true, show respect to the cop and he will respect you as well.

Example, the other day i was hanging out with this girl by my school and was driving on unfamiliar roads. I was doing 52 in 35 (honestly thought it was a 45mph zone) and saw the cop. As soon as i saw him move I pulled over (this is in my Jeep). The cop was serious but i showed him respect and was honest. I ended up with a ticket for no license plate and a cool conversation with the cop.

I've been pulled over about 5 times total and showed respect each time. I was honest each time. Each time i got a warning or a small fine ticket.

I would like to personally thank you and cops like you! But I have to say that a few Branchburg cops i've met were totally rude!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Spry, I understand what you are saying. Its just you wouldn't expect someone to plead not guilty to a license plate ticket, thats all i was saying. I took no disrespect from you at all. Its a fucked up system. But its a system we all have to live with.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't you have to go to court if your a cop and write a wreckless driving ticket or it will be dismissed and most of the time they put your cases together in one day anyhow. if you didn't want to go to court then you wouldn't want to write a ticket.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Spry, I understand what you are saying. Its just you wouldn't expect someone to plead not guilty to a license plate ticket, thats all i was saying. I took no disrespect from you at all. Its a fucked up system. But its a system we all have to live with.
I'm glad you didn't take any disrespect from my post because that wasn't my intention at all. I agree that it's a messed up system, but after re-reading your post, I would have to agree with you and just pay the ticket, fix the plate and go on to enjoy riding some more. It's good to have officers like you on here that will give their opinion and help everyone out!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Don't you have to go to court if your a cop and write a wreckless driving ticket or it will be dismissed and most of the time they put your cases together in one day anyhow. if you didn't want to go to court then you wouldn't want to write a ticket.
for reckless driving, you will have to appear before the judge, you would plead guilty or not guilty, if you plead not guilty, he/she will set a court date, then the "state" will be given time to collect the evidence to present against you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts