Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took off the carbs today because in rogerlee's pic on the firstgen i didnt have a number...
kinda turns out that i think that the 2nd gen have numbers on the opposite side ( left side if sitting on the bike )

so... after becoming a lil pissed bc i couldnt find anymore numbers, coming inside to do some research and found out that the number that i was reading with my carbs ON the bike

lol

so anyways :

this is what i see on the bike

17C00 < zeroes ? first one is for sure
K8Y1

although im not so sure about those thats my guess!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
88-89 36mm slingshots, most probably canadian model. either way, the canadian 36mm's are almost identical to the U.S. models. 112.5 MJ.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
why dont you just take them off and measure the ID of the engine-side of the carbs??? thats all the difference there is, 34,36,38 or 40mm's. When/if you get a jet kit, jetting becomes the same.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did measure them last night.. and they were 36's

but wont jet kits for 1100s differ then jet kits for 750s?
or will they all have the same content for 36mm carbs?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i was wondering if by the # you can tell if they are 750 or 1100 etc..

bc everything on my bike is just mixed up shit... like my pegs are from some 1100, frame from an 89 and motor from a 91 , both 750
mostly my main q is that some people say all 36's are the same, yet there are different jet kits for 750s and 1100s, and i crossreferenced the jet kits' part numbers and they are different for a 750 and 1100... so anyone know whats goin on

so i just dont want to have my jet kit come and not fit!

ive already ordered a sprocket and had it not fiT!
that was a nightmare...

·
Banned
185 Posts
I have a dynojet stage 3 in my 750 and have the 31 mm carbs, well in all of my glaring stupidity I thoiught the 86 had 29mm carbs as OEM, turns out that 29s came with the 85 model year (I think). Now in my failed attempt to explainthis to Dynojet they informed me that when you order one of their kits that kit is for the oem carbsof that model year and engine displacement So if your a complete dumbass like I am you might order a kit not realizing that the guy you bought your bike from put different carbs on it. I figured it out the hard way and it worked out ok, I had the right (OEM)carbs all along. As a side note the installation instructions that you can download from Dynojet shows two different part numbers for the 85 and 86 models. Yet whjen you download both , they both say that their for the 86 (or maybe the 85, I can't remember at this point) Point is check your stuff prior to buying a jet kit, and DJ has issues with their site having eroneous info on it. so if you buy a kit for your bike and the carbs are upgraded tough you order another kit and they will be no help at all. So to make a short story to fricking long, go with Factory Pro.

Come to think of it I think it was the 86-87 models I was blabbering about. "F" it, I need some sleep.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol.... and thats what everyone says, but still leaves me with some probs...

first, i have little to no money... so basically ebay is my friend
thats the only reason why i keep asking if the 1100 carb kits from any years can fit... bc there have been no kits for an 88-89 lately!

second, factory pro kits are few and far between on ebay, and i dont have the $140 to spring for one... although there is a factory pro kit for a 1990 right now i think...

BUT there is a dynojet kit for the 88-89 carbs (36mm) on ebay right now... so i am thinking about pickin it up

my bike is running horrible, and i just need to get some things but in time i will
and actually my bike is now making a rattling sound! grrrr but only at 3-4k rpm with the clutch out, so its nothin on the wheel/chain etc side

·
Banned
185 Posts
find out what year the 750 started showin up with the 36mm carbs and bid on a jet kit of that vintage and displacement. done deal

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The carbs themselves are probably the exact same (I dunno as I've never compared them side-by-side) but even if they are, the jet-kit from the 750 to the 1100 will be different because of the different fueling requirements of the two motors.

FWIW - I helped a friend install a set of 34mm CV's from a GSXF-600 on an `86 GSXR-750 and those carbs work *very* well (with airbox removed) in the long-stroke motor with the jets and needles from the jet-kit that was fitted to the original 31mm carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
dajesta,

according the carb numbers, those carbs are from an 88-89 750. they are 36mm and most probably a canadian model. they are not US carbs (not that it makes any difference).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good stuff guys

thanks alot for the info... just secured my bet for those carbs on ebay

i was a lil iffy before, not knowing 100% but now im 99% sure they are the right ones... but ill only be 100% sure when i get them in!

haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts