Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story Time!!!

So last Saturday (4-23) I was cruising down the freeway in heavy traffic doing, about 45. I was "lane sharing",
, traffic was doing about 30mph. I came up on a 5 car length open gap in the fast lane so I moved into it. All of the sudden a white Lexus on the right changed lanes into me pretty hard. I hit the brakes, leaned into him and just bounced right off his front quarter panel at about 40mph. It was a pretty heavy impact, loud as hell, but didn't go down thank god.

The entire right side of my bike met flush with his car. The right plastic is cracked in several places, the pipe got dissed, and the frame slider is bent back. My right leg felt impact with the car, but I guess the frame slider sticks out just far enough that it didn't get hurt at all. His car was dented up pretty good around his front tire and it looked like his front bumper got partially torn off.

Anyways, we pulled off the freeway and exchanged info. He was totally cool, he said he didn't see me and was just glad I was ok. I imagine I was right in his blindspot coming up on him when he changed lanes, so it's not like he did anything careless. It was just an accident.

His Insurance company decided I was 0% liable and should be cutting me a check soon. Here are a few pics of my broken fairing and bent frame slider. The pipe was scuffed pretty good, but most of it just rubbed off.

Just a little reminder out to you guys to be careful especially on the freeway. I got really lucky that the bike stayed up, and I know it could have been tragic.

Also, since his insurance is buying me a new pipe, I might as well sell the one I have now. If any gixxer.com homies want it, I’ll hook it up. Message me.

Yosh TRS Titanium on Ebay

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ebay link says invalid item.
My bad, the auction isn't starting until 3:30pst today. Give it another hour and a half for it to kick off.

I have some high res shots of it here: Clicky

Still in great shape. After the hit the whole thing was scuffed with black rubber but all of it just rubbed off. Just has a few scratches. The pic shows it with a new exhaust hanger....the rubber gasket piece is not included.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sent you a PM!

BTW, it seems like you and your bike are both doing well! Very very lucky!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through the close call homie!

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
I'm sorry, but changing lanes without checking your blindspot IS careless. Also, wtf did you lean into him for after hitting your brakes?
Wouldn't leaning AWAY from the vehicle help a tad better in avoiding such a collision?

I'm not trying to slam you or anything, I just encounter this nearly every day and I don't know wtf you were doing or are implying you did.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was pretty much splitting the #1 and #2 lanes, and I was going a good 10-15mph faster than him. I can totally understand how he could have glanced and not seen me, but I agree that it is his fault - and luckilly so do the insurance companies. I didn't get my normal "YOU ALMOST KILLED ME" road rage on him because I could put myself in his shoes all too easilly.

I hit the brakes and tried to swerve away at first, but there was a concrete center divider about a foot away from the lane. At the last second I straightened the bike out and just collided with him. Understand that all this happened so fast that I didn't really do anything, I just reacted. After we stopped, a witness passed by and said how surprised he was that I didn't go down, and that my leg didn't get hurt at all.

I guess it's just because I have mad skilz.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
you gotta be one of the luckiest freakin people to walk away from that shit.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
you gotta be one of the luckiest freakin people to walk away from that shit.
+1

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I know it. I think I really needed a close call like that to humble myself on the road. I'm a lot more careful and observant now, hopefully that doesn't change.

Pipe is sold, YoYoCome came and picked it up last night. He's cool as hell. Thanks bro, you'll love it!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks Ryan. Pipe is on already. works great!

Be careful riding out there and hope you'll get your new pipe soon too!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Close calls suck, but hopefully you learned from it. You are one lucky SOB!!!
That could of been deadly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts