Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
To psych the competiton out??? I'm getting dizzy just looking.
j/k

I like it . . . what's the back look like???

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Just a heads up . . . every 5 years SNELL comes out with a new standard. The last one was SNELL2000. This year is SNELL2005. For racing, at least at LRRS, they require the most current SNELL standard to be used. They do make one exception, and that is during the first year of the new SNELL standard they allow you to run the prior SNELL standard. After that first year courtesy, your helmet will not pass tech if it is only the old standard.

So just be mindful when you buy "leftover" helmets especially during or just after a new SNELL standard change.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Just a heads up . . . every 5 years SNELL comes out with a new standard. The last one was SNELL2000. This year is SNELL2005. For racing, at least at LRRS, they require the most current SNELL standard to be used. They do make one exception, and that is during the first year of the new SNELL standard they allow you to run the prior SNELL standard. After that first year courtesy, your helmet will not pass tech if it is only the old standard.

So just be mindful when you buy "leftover" helmets especially during or just after a new SNELL standard change.
According to the draft of the '05 CCS rule book, Snell 2000 is still acceptable.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Gecko ? when .. they normally let you run the past snell rating., so snell 2000 and snell 2005 would be good ., and normally more that a year !!?!?!?
Just speaking from experience . . . got pinched last year with my Arai Edwards replica. That is why I was running my AXO for part of last year, it was the proper British standard equivalent. What I described above is what I was told by the techs SEVERAL times . . . cause cheap, sneaky me figured I would try and get my older Arai past tech one way or the other. No go . . . but maybe it was just me that the helmet Nazi's were after.

It makes more sense to let the older standard go for more than one year . . . my Arai was in great condition. But hey, it does little good arguing against the guys in tech so I didn't.

·
Registered
727 Posts
What Gecko's saying is right. It depends on your racing organization. Funny, ours just started cracking down to ensure everyone had Snell2000 helmets last year. Some are strict with the year of helmet manufacture. Depending on your race organization it might not be a good idea to pick up any more Snell2000 helmets as they could require the 2005 cert next year. Might not be a big deal if you go through a lot of helmets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts