Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I found out my recently purchased 91 1100 is a CA model

Its down on power. I did some research and all I can see that is different is the cams and the air injection system.

I have ripped the air injection system off and I had plates made to cover the holes in the head. I also had a smashed collector. I had Racepipes redo the collectors and I did get a nice improvement in power. Now if I pull real hard the front will start to rise in first gear

I am unsure on the carbs. In some catalogs I found jet kits but they was a note saying "does not fit CA model". That scares me.. Do I have smaller carbs? I looked and I have Mikuni CV's.. They look like stock carbs with the stock airbox... How can I tell?

On to the cams..

I was told that my bike has the dredded CA cams. I was also told this could zap about 15hp off the peak. Not sure if this is true or not... I found a set of used stock cams on dragbike.com for $100. Sounds like a great deal but I am not sure they will fit. They are from a 1990 1100 that was sold back east somewhere. That would make them 49 state cams. At what point did they switch from shim to screw type adjusters on the 1127 motor? If my motor is the original motor in my 91 what adjusters should I have? what about doing a conversion? I dont want to pull the motor... I can change the cams in the bike in an afternoon if they where drop in cams... Let me know the hot and cheap setup guys.

I would rather not dump a bunch of money into this motor. If its worthwhile I will go for the 49 state cams but I do not want to spend $500 on aftermarket cams at this point... I know myself. If I get carried away I will end up with a full blown 1340motor and $4000 dumped into this old bike

What do I need to do to get this up to my old 1990 1100 power output? In other words I tuned 49state bikes power output...

Thanks!

Clark

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Sorry but the 90 had screw type adjusters...Guree you are "screwed" HaHaHaHaHa
The shim type are on 91-92 GSXR and Katuna motors. I will have a look around I know that I have a set of 49 Carbs 75.00+frt and I many be able to come up with some Katana cams but I need to check.
Bones

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Sorry but the 90 had screw type adjusters...Guree you are "screwed" HaHaHaHaHa
The shim type are on 91-92 GSXR and Katuna motors. I will have a look around I know that I have a set of 49 Carbs 75.00+frt and I many be able to come up with some Katana cams but I need to check.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bones... The carbs are different? If so what is different about them?

No thanks on the katana Cams. Been there done that. They are as bad as the CA cams from what I have been told. What I need is real GSXR1100 cams from a 49 state bike or some used aftermarket cams.

Let me know on those cabs man...

CT

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Here's what the `zook manual says about the carbs... the "E-03" is the US 49-state model and the "E-33" is the US CA model. looks like all that's different is the slide needle. The reason the jst kits say "not for CA models" prolly has to do with the laws about tampering with pollution-control rather than an actual fitment issue... at least that's my guess based on the info in the shop manual.

You can see that the ignition timing is different between 49-state and CA... the ignitor might be different too.

One other thing... according to the shop manual, the 49-state and CA model both use the same cams IN and EX. Maybe it's just the cam timing that's different? Don't flame me guys, I'm just posting the info from the Suzuki manual... why would they lie to me?

[ 04-21-2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help man. This is great info!!

I checked... My carbs are stamped "41c2" on the side. That confirms that I have 36mm CA model Carbs. They are the factory carbs that came on the bike. Also, I noticed the idle is supposed to be at 1100. Mine is about 500-600 and I will turn it up next time I ride it.

The Ignitor would make a huge difference according to the chart. Thats a fair amount of advance that is missing... Is there a way to confirm that the ignitor is responsible for having less advance? I would like to confirm that the ignition plate and or pick up is not just set at a different position. Part numbers?

You are correct.. The cams say they are the same. That makes me very pleased. A jet kit, ignitor, advancer might be all that is needed to get the power up on this bike. That would be fantastic. I would really not screw with the cams...

Thanks again for the help!

Clark

Originally posted by FastCat:
Here's what the `zook manual says about the carbs... the "E-03" is the US 49-state model and the "E-33" is the US CA model. looks like all that's different is the slide needle. The reason the jst kits say "not for CA models" prolly has to do with the laws about tampering with pollution-control rather than an actual fitment issue... at least that's my guess based on the info in the shop manual.

You can see that the ignition timing is different between 49-state and CA... the ignitor might be different too.

One other thing... according to the shop manual, the 49-state and CA model both use the same cams IN and EX. Maybe it's just the cam timing that's different? Don't flame me guys, I'm just posting the info from the Suzuki manual... why would they lie to me?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

1 - 6 of 6 Posts