Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
had a great day today ., warm weather ., oily track., but still a blast out there.,

and TAZ did AWESOME., he came a long way in 4 seasons., unlike that ridindick guy..
I think you meant to say 4 Sessions.

Even if I had to sit most of one out. Was the route I took back to the pits one of your "Shortcuts"?

Thanks again for all of your help today Dave.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
days at the track r always a good thing

unless ofcorse you crash as much as fever

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like fun. I used to do Thursdays but they always ended up being oily and with no corner workers, I decided to save the money.
Looking at your times...maybe you should spend the money!

OUCH... hhahahah

actually it was a good day even with the oil., we were not there to go fast .,

and KIP., was there.... what a surprise..........

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah . . . thanks for the heads up.

like your sallie ass would have gotten out of work anyway .,

you all as the same whiners., fever , gecko., ridinDick., yadda yadda., oh i woulda gone., sure after the fact you say that ., but when it is time to fess up,. oh i can not get out of work for that ., or oh i dont have the money for that .,

but geee i just blew $100 at the bar last night., aren't i cool., blah blah blah

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
yeah . . . thanks for the heads up.

like your sallie ass would have gotten out of work anyway .,

you all as the same whiners., fever , gecko., ridinDick., yadda yadda., oh i woulda gone., sure after the fact you say that ., but when it is time to fess up,. oh i can not get out of work for that ., or oh i dont have the money for that .,

but geee i just blew $100 at the bar last night., aren't i cool., blah blah blah
I will admit this, there is no way you would catch me there for just a day.... and no i didn't blow $100 at the bar... maybe just $99.99

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
What I learned yesterday

Practice went very well yesterday. Only about 20 people showed up for the session. When I pulled into the garage area, Dave pointed out a bunch of trucks on Turn 10. Turns out a car had oiled the "Entire" track during the morning session, right on the racing line. A few people left because of the oil. They cleaned it up the best they could then we hit the track.

Session 1: I followed Dave around for about 1/2 of the session and then he followed me for the rest of the session. Mostly I used it to re-aquaintant with the track and a build trust in the bike. It was the first time after building it that I had it on the track. I started feeling comfortable towards the end of the session, I was having a trouble finding marks during that session and turn 6 and 9-10 were kicking my butt.

Session 2: Dave and I had a lot of discussion about marks during the in-between time so when we went out for the second session, I followed him again for a few laps. I was confident in the bike so I could concentrate on the other stuff 100%. First lap out, we were pushing a little harder than we should have for the first lap and coming out of T-2, I pushed the front end and so did he. So we used that lap following T-2 to go a little slower and warm the tires. After the first lap, we started picking up the pace, I followed him and was able to pick up marks that we had talked about in the pits. After about 3 laps, he let me by on the straight so now I was on my own with the marks. He followed me for about 3 more laps and I felt good in all of the corners, especially Turn 6 and 9 which before had kicked my butt. Turn 2 and 3 were a little hairy because everyone was off the racing line to stay away from the Kitty litter. We were all exiting turn 3 right at the edge of the track by the little drop off. After the 3 laps he followed me, he came along side and both of us entered turn 1 side by side, then through almost every corner he came along side. In the pits he told me he wanted to give me the experience of having to adjust the line and stay focused while someone was along side me.. in the corner. It was very effective and didn't unnerve me at all.

Session 3: Took it easy for the first lap, Then poured it on (for me anyway) during the second lap. Exiting Turn 10... the bike just dies. Uggg. So I push the bike back to the Pits at a trott wanting to get back out on the next session. Have I mentioned how far of a run it is from the Turn 10 exit to the pits...pushing a bike...in full gear...through the grass. Well it is a long way. I think it must be about 5 miles. Anyway, get back to the pits and put the bike on the stands. Dave comes back in and we quickly take the seat off and lift the tank. I start looking at wiring I had done the day before, for the SPA tach, as the problem. Dave looks at the battery and sees the positive terminal lug floating free. When I was installing the Tach the night before, I had taken off the positive lead, when I was testing, I finger tightened it and never went back and torqued it. Who'ed a thunk, I torqued every other damn bolt on the bike and safety wired most of them, and a battery lead gets me.

Final Session (4): Dave and I had talked and decided that the kitty litter strips were gone enough to start using the Turn 2 and 3-4 racing lines. So Lap 2, Turn 2 we took the racing line He was just behind me and my back tire stepped out to the right about a foot. The line was not clear after all. The slide didn't surprise me much, I guess I kind of half expected it. Pushed down to 3 and did that racing line, stuck like glue except at the turn 4 exit (Kitty litter there too) but that pertubation was much smaller, so I used that line for the rest of the session. For the rest of the session, I worked on hitting my new found marks. Dave followed me for most of the session. I didn't work on shift marks much during the sessions as I thought I had enough to work on. I suffered a ton of Brake fade on the last two laps. Most noticeable coming into 3. Dave mentioned in the pits that I went deep into 3 it was due to fade. I have EBC sintered pads, stock rotors, galfer lines, and spectro race dot 4 fluid. I may go back to a stock pads for the stock rotors and bleed the brakes again, just to make sure the air is all out. Any suggestions

Summary: Overall an incredible learning experience with a lot of track time which is definitely what I need. I found my lines from turn 6 to 9 (with Dave's Help) which were difficult for me before. I identified braking points and the entry points for T-1 and T3 although I still need to practice my entries, I still need a lot of work on Turn 10. My entry point was not deep enough so I ended up going wide on exit and running over the nascar transition (which is a surprisingly big bump especially at a full lean) of course that screwed with my entry into 11-11a, so I will need to work on that next time. I did not get a knee down, but I did get my foot down a couple of times (which probably means I need to tuck it in further). Dave said it looked like my knee was down a couple of times but it never actually touched pavement. I still need to work on body position, I am not getting the upper half of my body far enough off the bike.

Sorry for the long write up, I learned alot and it is a tribute to Dave's teaching. Thanks for all your help through the winter guys

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.