Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at getting a .45 next. Would appreciate if you guys could offer up some suggestions and opinions on some good 45 cal hand guns. Im not biased and after a particulary brand, so Im open to checking out any suggestions.

My only criteria and limit is budget. I can spend up to 700 max. Certainly dont want to spend over a grand.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Polymer - Sig and H&K are both excellent

1911 - I would only consider a full size in 1911 (5"), have had 3 and 4 inch versions, 5" shot the best, muzzle rise can be a bit snappy on the 3 and 4 inch in a .45, fine for a 9mm, but go full size for .45.

If I were get one today, I would probably go back to the H&K USP compact .45, it was a fantastic gun while I owned it, I don't think it ever misfired any any way, and fit and finish were excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
1. HK
2. M&P
3. Glock

In that order. For your price range the HK would have to be used, but for the price the M&P can't be beat.

·
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as i
2,290 Posts
Max $700?? You won't be getting any decent 1911 variants for that little, so don't bother looking. Some can be found, but it's a crap shoot (and never consider a POS Kimber)

The HK45 (not USP45) is one of the finest money can buy, but I believe it'll still put you over your limit. I bought mine the week they were released about 4 or 5 years ago... accurate as some of my $3,000++ custom .45s, lightweight, extremely low recoil and muzzle flip, one of the best I've ever owned. BIG but excellent pistol.

They do make a compact (HK45C), but it's not the same pistol, a lot of changes. Still great, but not AS great.

The new Springfield XDm 45 is also very, very nice.

·
gixxersixxerman
1,023 Posts
i love my XDm .40, so i would imagine the .45 would be just as good.. i dont have nothing against glock it just didnt feel as natural in my hand as the XDm.. i went to the store planning on getting the glock but after shooting both holding both the XDm was for me... i do plan on getting a .45 the springfield 1911 custom.. got one at the shop thats 3 grand.. way out of my price range but they do make a good 1911

·
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Max $700?? You won't be getting any decent 1911 variants for that little, so don't bother looking. Some can be found, but it's a crap shoot (and never consider a POS Kimber)

The HK45 (not USP45) is one of the finest money can buy, but I believe it'll still put you over your limit. I bought mine the week they were released about 4 or 5 years ago... accurate as some of my $3,000++ custom .45s, lightweight, extremely low recoil and muzzle flip, one of the best I've ever owned. BIG but excellent pistol.

They do make a compact (HK45C), but it's not the same pistol, a lot of changes. Still great, but not AS great.

The new Springfield XDm 45 is also very, very nice.
Well I can go a little over 700. Ideally I dont want to spend over a grand. So you guys are saying I wont find anything decent in a 45 for 700-800??? Well lets say I extend the limit to 1k, are my options going to be much better?

BTW I am still a bit new to guns and this will only be my second gun. So some of you gun nuts probably have a higher standard for what is a "good gun" and quality, ect. Things I wouldnt notice right away. Regarding 1911s, yeah I know that if you want a good 1911 youre going to pay out the wazoo for it. Thats off the list.

·
I Heart Man Sauce
6,488 Posts
1911 clones are some of the finest .45 ACP pistols you can buy. You can definitely find a very nice polymer frame .45 for under $700 though.

What do you have now?

·
2,290 Posts
Get the HK45 and call it a day, should be just under $900 from what I'm seeing these days. You won't do better at close to double the money.

Love my Glocks, love my XDs, love my 1911s... but the HK45 is simply a beast, and IMO a damn good value.

·
2,290 Posts
In your price range?

None.

None that will be ultimately reliable AND accurate... maybe if they still make the EAA Witness Elite "Match" in .45ACP

·
2,290 Posts
I did find that most retailers are selling the Springfield Armory Loaded for under a grand. The Loaded is one badass, reliable 1911.

·
2,290 Posts

Springfield Loaded

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
You're asking for a "good" .45. I honestly can't think of a "bad" .45.

Even the Hi-Point has a fan base. I've heard good and bad about basically every gun out there, especially models offered in .45acp. Like the Hi-Point. I think they're ugly and blocky and seem to be really cheaply made, but some people like the ergonomics, and I've seen them do well in torture tests that people post about.

I have a Philippines-made Charles Daly 1911. I got it cheap, and it's one of the best shooting guns I've ever touched. The chamber is tight so it's picky about reloads, but it runs great for a fraction of the price of similar custom 1911's. People that don't know brands well usually think it's a thousand dollar gun.

Lots of decent 1911's can be had for 6-700 like the Taurus and Ruger and some from Springfield Armory, and most of the Rock Island, etc. are even cheaper.

I carry the USP45 on duty. It's a great fighting gun. So is the Glock 21. I'm fond of the Glock 30 and 36 as carry guns if you can hide them. I haven't got to fire an XD, but they certainly have their fans as well.

The best you can do is go get your own hands on as many as you can and see what you like. Reading opinions online won't help you all that much because we're not you.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
What are you gonna use it for? concealed carry, home defense, range or competition shooting? I've owned and worked on a good number of 1911's, the cheaper you go on them it becomes a crapshoot if you'll get one that will run out of the box or not. Used 1911's can also be a headache if you get one that got worked on by someone that shouldn't be working on guns and it you don't know the platform well you won't know what to look at to see. Glocks are gonna be workhorses. I've used the 21 and 30 a ton. Not real crazy about the single stack glock (36 I think), mine tended to jam and I heard others have the same issue. The HK usp is also a great gun but you're gonna pay more for it. If you want a good relatively cheap gun go with a glock and take the money you saved over the others and buy a bunch of ammo. I've got 30-40K down the pipe on a glock 30 and it still runs like new and I've never had to do anything other than keep it clean and oiled, I can't remember it ever having a malfunction either.

·
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems the consensus keeps coming back to a 1911. I was avoiding those because a buddy told me a while back when I got my 9, that if you want a "good" 1911 from a reputable brand youre going to spend over $1200 easy. Im also surprised to know you cant get a metal frame .45 for under 1k. 45s cost a good bit more than I estimated. Im experiencing some price shock here. I didnt know that $900 was considered "cheap" as far as handguns go. As you can tell Im still new to guns and not all to familiar with the pricing. I was basing prices around what I paid for the 9.

A lot of people, mainly my buddys were shocked when I told them I paid $700 for the 9. So maybe their reactions skewed my perception of gun prices. I was under the impression that 700 was expensive, and that maybe I paid too much. So didnt know what I was in for when searching for a 45. What ever I get, Id tprefer all metal. Just not to fund of the idea of plastic on a gun, no matter what they say. So if I dont want polymer, Im going to be spending in the thousands. yikes

Oh yeah and to answer a question in an earlier post. I want the gun for home defense and range use. What ever I get I want to be able to have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
25 Participants
jcyc44
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing