Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, actually something I've used several times in the past is to get a compressed air can (any office/computer supply place will have them) and use that to blow out any crud around the plugs. they have a little straw that can get down in next to the plugs real well, better than a vaccuum attachment can.

remember grasshopper: gap twice, screw once!

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Almost hit that 7500miile mark, need to replace all 4 spark plugs soon, according to my suzuki manual. Just wonering, is this something I can do myself? and if yes, what should I look out for when I do this?

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Leonardo629 ]</p>

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
what bike do you have?

it's a very straightforward job. depending on which bike you have, you may find it easy to access the plugs, or fairly tricky because of the angle of the cylinder head.

if your bike has its ignition coils integrated into the plug caps, be careful when removing them.

take a look at the old plugs, they should be a light tan color. if they're dark, your bike's running too rich, if they're very clean or white, you're running too lean.

on the new plugs, double check the plug gaps with the recommended settings in the service manual, and adjust if necessary.

do not overtighten the new plugs. the service manual will tell you how much to tighten them. i personally tighten them 1/4 - 1/2 turn past the point where the gasket touches the cylinder head.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I just want to repeat some of what Jeff said: do not overtighten the plugs. I've done it more than once (just to check it was my fault) and it ain't funny staring at 2 halves of an NGK. Or 4 halves in my case

Oh, and I personally don't use any other brand than NGK after I had a Champion melt in my RGV250.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, overtightening is the biggest thing you can do wrong when doing plugs. Snapped plugs suck! For yours you just have to take off the tank plastic, and airbox I think, and they shouldnt be all that hard to get too. Listen to Jeff, he da man. And yeah I use NGK's on all my stuff. I put dual electrode ones in my old FZR, and it made it run a whole hell of a lot better.

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
once you have the tank propped up and the airbox off, clean off the area around the spark plugs real good, even vacuuming it wouldn't be a bad idea because you don't want dirt falling down into your head while you have spark plugs out. it's also a good idea to take one out, replace it, then move on to the next one. and follow the stuff mentioned above to.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
your bike uses ngk cr9e plugs. if you want to spend a little more money, the dealer should also have cr9ek plugs, which are the same except with an extra ground electrode. some people have experienced longer life with the dual electrode cr9ek's.

you also have coils integrated into the spark plug caps, so be extra careful when removing them.

sorry, i'm not sure offhand what size socket is used to remove the plugs - possibly 15 or 16mm?

i think the owner's manual will mention what size socket to use, but then again, they may say 'use suzuki special spark plug magic remover tool no. 1265' and of course that special tool is nothing but a socket which costs like $40 from them.

btw if you're going to use a torque wrench, ngk states that for those plugs, the tightening torque is 7.2 - 8.7 ft-lbs. which isn't very much at all.

everything you wanted to know about spark plugs right here:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys pm me but i replaced my spark plugs i have a k7 gsxr600 but for sum reason i feel i didnt put them on rite because idk you just know the feeling when you do something you feel like i didnt do it rite but what happens if i did do it wrong what could happen to the bike ? what are some signs ?

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
this thread doesnt make any sense if you read the title and the first post.

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,130 Posts
and what does message edited by God mean? i have seen that before in the archived posts when searching. was it a site hack?

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,182 Posts
hey guys pm me but i replaced my spark plugs i have a k7 gsxr600 but for sum reason i feel i didnt put them on rite because idk you just know the feeling when you do something you feel like i didnt do it rite but what happens if i did do it wrong what could happen to the bike ? what are some signs ?
You should get that feeling of not doing something "rite" every time you type a word...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06' Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and I'm trying to do my 16K tune-up. I want to know what it consists of, what I can do on my own, and how much should it cost?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
i'll check back here in 2021 and re-bump for the 20 year aniversary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts