Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember there being a recall on the '01 GSXR1000s? My forks are leaking and my mechanic doesn't know if replacing the seals will fix it b/c the forks are worn off. You can see where the gold has turned silver. Anyone know if it will be covered and also if it is who to call.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The first batch of 01's that came to the us had really shitty nitride coating on the forks. Mine turned silver in a couple months under 1,000 miles. It was no big deal on the first shipment of them because all of the suzuki reps knew about it. I called a friend of mine that has a suzuki dealership and he called the regional rep and they sent me new fork tubes.
I don't know if they would replace them now. It is out of warranty and just a part of normal wear and tear. The coating wont last forever. I don't think the small amount of coating wearing off will cause your fork seals to go out. Replace the seals and you should be fine.
If you want to see if it would be covered under warranty check with your local suzuki dealership. Just be nice and say pretty please. It is up to suzukis warranty rep if it is coverd and what the dealership says to him could make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I hope the DLC on my K5's forks lasts longer

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have an '02 and I have one spot where the coating is worn. Just had my shocks revalved and sprung. Talked to the mech and he said the coating is only like 3 microns thick and if it all wore off the seals wouldn't leak. Not leaking now anyway.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
Does anyone remember there being a recall on the '01 GSXR1000s? My forks are leaking and my mechanic doesn't know if replacing the seals will fix it b/c the forks are worn off. You can see where the gold has turned silver. Anyone know if it will be covered and also if it is who to call.
Thanks.
Don't know if there was a recall, but Suzuki was fixing some of them free of charge. I had some fork seal leaking, and that was fixed under warranty. the bike had 21,000 and it was only 10 months old.

Right now, I think your warranty is up, so any thing done free of charge will be a courtesy thing. Call your dealer, and your rep, worst they can say is no..

·
Registered
711 Posts
I blew both seals on my 02 last year, and the Ni is worn off. I tired a couple shops, and I tried the ext. warranty, but I was told to bite it. I ended up getting 750 forks of egay for 150. I have the leaking orig. laying in the garage... Both mine started leaking just after I noticed the Ni wore off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts