Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to know if i can easliy put on the forks of a 1000 K1 into my 97 750, the forks come with the triple trees and fender.

"shawn" has a set for sale and i've been itching to get my brother to go and get it when he gets to the U.S. by christmas...

any comments on this mod.. am i better of buying race tech springs instead? (am about 200lbs by the way) and will be using the bike for our local club racing next summer -- been shopping around for some stuff for it, am looking for keihn flat slides for it as well (good used one)

cheers!

[ 12-16-2002, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: migs ]

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
to the best of my limited knowledge, what you've got'll go straight in for a straight swop

edit : i just read the last paragraph. 200lbs and track use, you'll definately need to do the same to the 1000 and the 750 forks to get em working 100%. springs and valved i'd say.

[ 12-16-2002, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: dan uk ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dan.. have a post in the wanted section of all the stuff i was thinking of getting for my 97.

i guess it'll help if i lost some kilos instead heh...

are there technical improvements on the new forks?

valve kit of the k1 forks are about 40 bucks cheaper actually with race-tech

cheers!

[ 12-16-2002, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: migs ]

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I *thought* that that newgen front wheel is a little norrower, therefore you porlly need the newgen front wheel too....

Of course I may be wrong.....

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Sorry guys, the new gen forks (whether 1K or 750 or 600) are not a direct bolt on to existing SRAD front ends, whether this is for the 600 or the 750 SRAD.

You will need to acquire the entire front end from the stem and forward (we are including wheels, fender etc) from the new gen bike in order to fit it onto any SRAD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used a complete 1k front end. Forks, triples, wheel, brakes and fender. As I also found out that the new gen. triples and wheel are definately a few millimeters narrower than the 96-99 models. Stem bearings are the same though!

·
Registered
645 Posts
gixertrixter.. how do you like the new setup? has it enhanced your handling at all? or is it different, like as in maybe steering a little quicker since the rim size is different?
too bad you can't use the stock srad front fender... but then I can't say much because I've never seen the conversion in person.

[ 12-16-2002, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: 96Gixx7Fitty ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will just change springs i guess. thanks for the info.

gixxertrixster. is that the 600? i like the way your rad is setup based on the pic you placed.

sensible mod if it was the standard telescopic converting it to the usd forks...

a bit off the topic:

i find the rear shocks of my 97 750 a bit soft for some really hard riding on the track. should i go for changing the spring to save some money or should i just save me the hassle and get an after market. if so what's the next best thing to ohlins? on a budget.

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
Originally posted by gixxertrixster:
I used a complete 1k front end. Forks, triples, wheel, brakes and fender. As I also found out that the new gen. triples and wheel are definately a few millimeters narrower than the 96-99 models. Stem bearings are the same though!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You gotta get the rear rim from a 1k! I have 2020 750 rims on my bike. The spacers only need to be modified.
As for the forks, the 750 forks are better than the 1000 forks, so I'd go for those if I was doing the swap! I guess if you'll be replacing the internals then it wouldn't matter either way...

·
Registered
788 Posts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My 1K forks (KYB) are no where near as good as the showa units were on my 97 600, (and I hear the 750 showas are better also) but maybe thats just me. So does it handle better?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't find much of a difference at all in the handling other than them being a wee bit stiffer, but the original 97 springs were probably sacked anyway! The only reason I converted the front was that I got it for free when I bought the 1k motor, the guy said he thought the forks were bent but it turned out that they were only twisted in the triple clamps.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Originally posted by skidmark:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by gixxertrixster:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You gotta get the rear rim from a 1k! I have 2020 750 rims on my bike. The spacers only need to be modified.
As for the forks, the 750 forks are better than the 1000 forks, so I'd go for those if I was doing the swap! I guess if you'll be replacing the internals then it wouldn't matter either way...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">damn, mr. jetson....... how'd ya score those????

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
I got it for free when I bought the 1k motor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you saying that you have a 1k installed in your 97 750?!? If so they you gotta tell me the dirt on that install. I was sizing up the 1k motor to see how it would fit in my frame the other day since I'm thinking of doing this... I figure I'd need the full wiring harness, throttle boddies, airbox and instrument cluster.
Do i need all that shit too?
I sent you a PM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts