Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to swap the tail section (subframe and bodywork) from a 2k and newer GSXR onto an older bike? I have a 1998 750 and would love to have the new sleaker tail. There is a wrecked 2k1 600 in the cycle salvage here. They want a bit for the subframe and bodywork, so I dont want to just buy it and hope.

Any ideas?

If no one knows could someone possible measure the distance from the lower to upper subframe mounting holes and the width of the mounting holes from side to side.

Thanks.

J

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Search it.. It has been talked about before but I dont remember if anyone has done it.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah it can be done , the bottom rails that bolt to the frame are too long though , i had to take about an inch and a half out of it . The upside is that you can tilt the tail section to the angle you like . I found the bike easier to turn . The seat is not as wide and flat . I will post some pics when i get round to it .

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been thinking about this kind of swap for a while and nobody ive talked to has done it or known of anyone doing it. Plus, everybody has a different idea of how easy or impossible it will be. Sradsteve is the only person ive heard of to actually do it... So please bro, post the pics and give me some idea of the difficulty and cost. I love my '00 600 but the tail makes it look fat and low, im running a 190 on the rear and i want a more cut looking, high out tail to show it off more and give the bike a more custom look.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's a piece off piss to do , i was gonna post all the pics at once so that everyone could see how it was done , but now i will finish the spool so you can see the first couple . It is just the sub frame on my bike sand the pieces i cut out . The same bolts can be used and everything . Only thing i did not like is the pillion pegs'mouting points on he new frame . They sit further forward than on the srad's wich made the pillion pegs touch the back of my boot when only having my tow on the peg cornering , solution for me : i dont take pillions so i just have a yosh mounting bracket. If you wanna ride get your own damm bike. anyway i will scan those pics to show how it is comming along . Oh yes i am going for an undetail to get ride of lighting and all those other issues in one go .And if i ever sell the bike the original pieces can just go back on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey - has anyone looked at possibly updating the tail section of a '00 6 with an '01 6 and up tail WITHOUT replacing the subframe? Maybe the mounting points are close enough where you can make it work??? I'm thinking in the interests of being cheap, like I am
, if I can make it work without the subframe, thats the way I want to go

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's a piece off piss to do , i was gonna post all the pics at once so that everyone could see how it was done , but now i will finish the spool so you can see the first couple . It is just the sub frame on my bike sand the pieces i cut out . The same bolts can be used and everything . Only thing i did not like is the pillion pegs'mouting points on he new frame . They sit further forward than on the srad's wich made the pillion pegs touch the back of my boot when only having my tow on the peg cornering , solution for me : i dont take pillions so i just have a yosh mounting bracket. If you wanna ride get your own damm bike. anyway i will scan those pics to show how it is comming along . Oh yes i am going for an undetail to get ride of lighting and all those other issues in one go .And if i ever sell the bike the original pieces can just go back on.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">sradsteve could you possibly get some picks up soon because i am going to try this conversion pretty soon and would like to have something to go by if i get lost. thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here are some pics , sorry there not very good . I will mail some better ones soon . I am getting my undertail on saturday then i will mount the lot and paint it stock 98 . The pic of the weld is were i took 2 inches give or take out of the bottom rail. Oh the other pic is of a 400 Gixxer (GK73) ithout clothes , will mail a better pic of it as well. Some one asked what it looked like somewhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
looks good steve. will look better when its painted. hope mine looks just as good when im done. approx. how long do you think it took to get it to the point its at. im thinking i could get all the measurements, cuts and dropped off for welding in a day and then pick up and mount and re wire and what not in another day. sound right or alittle bit to eager on my part.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Time wise , about 4 smokes , 2 cups of coffee and a cd. Since you only have to cut the bottom rails cut it leaving lots of room for your freindly neighborhood weilder to reattach it , bolt the two top rails to the frame and then you can lever it to the angle desired . Shorten to taste and there you go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i came across this from a uk mag (FAST BIKES-november 02 issue). This is exactly what it says..

"Make your gsxr-600 SRAD look like the new model with this simple arse job. A nice bit of kit that comes complete with all the lights and wires attached."

GSXR-600 tail unit 246.75(GP)including VAT.
tail unit

www.skidmarx.co.uk

[ 01-26-2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: xride717 ]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah that is nice , i wonder if they have pics from the side to look at angle as that is reason i changed sub frames . Anyway delay in delivery so i am only getting the undertail on wednesday , bugger.i only paid $15 for the sub frame but now a couple of people are asking me to do it for them , so maybe i will mess around with the other sub frame again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts