Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went for a ride last friday and when i got back it cut out as i went to put it in the garage, turn the key on and nothing happens, no lights, horn, indicators or anything, turn it off and the rev counter needle goes up then back down, tried turning the key to park but still no lights, the fuses look ok and tried the spare, charged the battery up just in case it got drained but still no joy.
any ideas?

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
What are the volts at on the battery? Sounds like maybe charging system failure, hope it didn't overcharge and damage something. Also, these batteries don't take well to being completely drained. Just for kicks, did you check the 30A fuse as well that is separate from the fuse box?

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
So 12.0? If so, that is too low as the minimum is 12.5v. Charge the battery, let it sit for a while re-check volts, if still under 12.5...replace.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
This might be due to several reasons, such as grounding issues (although that's unlikely, since the dash had the power to cycle the needle), a failure in the ignition switch leading to loss of +12V, or wiring problems with the same effect, etc. You'll have to troubleshoot that methodically with a DMM, to get to the bottom of it. (I assume here that all fuses have been checked and are intact.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes all the other fuses have been checked, the rev counter only moves when i switch it off, it doesn't do anything at all when i switch it on, no clicking, testing or anything

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Would be good to try another ECU so you can confirm that not died. My friend fried one once on a track bike we were working on and after that, it had similar issues to what you're describing. But like other have said here you really need to methodically check over all the possible causes until you narrow it down. It's time-consuming stuff to track down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have managed to borrow a battery to try, it fired up straight away, thanks for that useful information, what i can't understand is how it originally started and was ok for 90mins on my little run then packed up when i got home and nothing.
By the way i checked the volts on the battery i borrowed and it was 12.6 and 14.2 when running, i assume this is correct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts