Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through 10 pages of articles, and did a search, but came up empty of what I am looking for. I bought my 01 with a gixxer1k shock and dogbones already on it. What would be a suggested setting for this, or should I scrap it and go back to a 750 shock? Right now, It sits entirely too low IMO. I am 5'11, and can touch flat footed on the ground. My buddies 02 has me slightly on my tip toes. Suggestions please.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The 2001-2002 GSXR1k and 2000-2003 GSXR750 use the same shock linkage and shock length. For that matter the actual shock is "likely" even the same with possibly the 1k being a bit stiffer.

Your 750 with the 1000 shock should sit the same height. Now the newer 1k's i "think" the shock is actually longer.

Regardless you can shim your upper shock mount under the large nut to raise the rear ride height a bit and improve the bikes cornering ability. I would suggest you only do it to a max of 6mm though. It will raise the bike at the tail over an inch. If you raise it too much your bike will be very twitchy since this also changes the geometry of the entire ride.

I run with my rear +6mm and my front dropped 8mm.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
1000 shocks are a little heavier then a 750. So if you weight more the 150 or 160 whatever our bikes are set up for then it will feel better

·
Registered
951 Posts
The spring may be a little stiffer in some cases. Actually if i recall the 1000 might actually have a lighter spring than the 750. I was in the process of going to upgrade one of my stock 2002 750 shocks with a 2004 1k, it had a lighter spring. I asked racetech how they got away with it......linkage angles are different.

But as i said early 1ks and 750's it should be same lenght. Different generations of gixxer you may have length variances.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the input. So If I understand correctly, I should shim the upper rear shock under the bolt about 6mm, and no more. Now as for the setting on the shock, about how much thread do you have showing on the rear?

·
Registered
951 Posts
That depends on your weight. Thats called setting the "preload".

Lift the sub frame until the bike wheel is off the ground. Measure from a set point on the tail to the swingarm someplace while suspended. Then sit on the bike and measure the same spot. With you on the bike you want 25-30mm of squat. The weight of the bike alone typically will squat it about 10-15mm.

If its less, unscrew. If it squats more, crank it down to compress the spring some. You want 25-30mm of total squat with the weight of the bike and you in full gear. Same goes for the front.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that the rear is set, what is the word on the front? Are there any adjustments that should be taken into text with the 1000 rear shock, or just adjust to the way the tutorial shows for a stock 750?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts