Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, been a while since I was last on but I did some work on my 01 Gixxer 1000 over the last few months and thought I'd post it up for you guys to see and comment on.

I wanted to make the bike different from everything else I was seeing with some of the sport bikes out and there and really wanted just a solo seat with lots of tire hanging out behind.

Anyways let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Two comments:
1- if you fabbed that yourself, it looks like pretty impressive workmanship, with the molded plastics around the solo seat.

2- but isn't that uncomfortable as hell? Stock, our seats are almost horizontal. Yours is almost at 40-45 degrees. Looks like you'd either have achy balls from being pushed into the tank or achy quads from avoiding achy balls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat is fabricated by me. It's sheetmetal work with a square tube inner sub frame. Paint is also done by me. Nearly everything that was located in the original tail still is lesss the main fuse block. The tail is deceiving, the seat sweeps up in the back but the portion your most in contact with is only marginally inclined. It's only a hair less comfortable then a standard sport bike. Notably less comfortable then the stock tail with LSL triple and high bars lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
Leaves a little something to be desired, like the rest of the bike! Was this thing crashed before or are you THAT guy who would fuck up a perfectly good K1? If the former is true, then great job! If the latter is true, then you're an idiot. :cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Previous owner had mashed up all the plastic work, tail was intact but again there's no shortage of bikes who's plastics have been mashed and they've gotten a new set of high bars to build a streeetfighter, wanted something unique. It's certainly going to offend the purists around here but it was never gonna go back to stock.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
"Nearly everything that was located in the original tail still is lesss the main fuse block."

That makes me nervous. Wiring is an area that commonly gets cobbled up only to cause problems later on. You'd need to know your stuff to properly relocate the fuse block. Is the battery still under the seat? A lithium battery would require less room.

"It's only a hair less comfortable then a standard sport bike."

That also concerns me. They're already uncomfortable enough.

From K5 forward, Suzuki began using a frame cover over the lower portion of the tank as a visual trick to make the tank look less bulbous. You might see if you can do something similar.

The cops are OK with that license plate location?

Sort of looks like a stunter to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Bill, the battery is under the seat still but I did indeed replace it with lithium ion anti gravity as it was the only way to accommodate such a design. No worries on the wiring, all done properly, new automotive water proof connectors for anything new, proper soldering and shrink tubeing on anything existing. All done under the tutelage of a mechanic of 30 years. The bikes built to be every bit as reliable as they were from the start in this regard. Main fuse block is just ahead of the seat mounted on its inner square tube frame, needed space to allow no issues with heat on the R/R.

It's perfectly comfortable for the riding I do with it, the Ducati pillion is more comfortable then the original k1 seat so i find I don't mind the slightly higher seat angle. I find I ride a couple hours before it's time to make a stop and have a coffee or such.

The project was one of form with minor exceptions made to comfort from the start. Something of an exercise in what I could build with it. It may be mildly less comfortable then it started but it's a riot to ride around on. I'm working on a 1979 cb750 now that will be a machine more meant for long touring and comfort.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
I only see two problems, if you ride through water or puddles, the tire will throw water up your back and soak you, and if you're ever misplaced by a huge pothole etc... you will fall back and get castrated.

·
7,745 Posts
Leaves a little something to be desired, like the rest of the bike! Was this thing crashed before or are you THAT guy who would fuck up a perfectly good K1? If the former is true, then great job! If the latter is true, then you're an idiot. :cheers
Hey, I thought I was the forum's resident asshole! :biggrin

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
No,you're Mr. K6 Liter Bike since your buddy is gone and has left that position open :spit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your right about the water. It's strictly a fair weather machine. I can't imagine how much water it would throw up riding in the rain.

And in regards to the castration, that was more or less the idea for the look, lol. Wanted something that looked a little dangerous. The upswept Ducati pillion makes for a pretty secure position so I would think it would take something pretty serious to knock you back off it.

·
2 > 4
371 Posts
Nice build :thumbup That frame is itching to be powder coated imo, but still is real clean looking bike.

Did you purposely have the "one way" sign in the third picture as a subliminal message or just happened to?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree about the powder coating the frame but that's something I can address this winter. The off seasons are pretty long up here in Northern Ontario.

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
I agree about the powder coating the frame but that's something I can address this winter. The off seasons are pretty long up here in Northern Ontario.
Hmmmm....what are these "off seasons" that you speak of. :scratch

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
\

:facepalm

I miss my buddy though
Buck up little buddy, he should be back tomorrow. I'm psyching myself out for the PM I'm likely to receive from him. Unlike you Le Todd, he doesn't have my personal email so he can get in touch while banned :shifty

·
7,745 Posts
My personal email? :wtf He's no where NEAR smart enough to be able to find such information.

About missing him, I suppose it's like having a hemorrhoid removed. Yes, it fucking IRRITATED you to no end, drove you nuts and was one of the most unpleasant, annoying things imaginable.....but when it's finally gone, you realize it actually was a pretty funny part of your day.

On second thought...... nah, it's just a hemorrhoid. There aren't that many redeeming qualities about hemorrhoids. Sure you CAN Laugh about them, as long as they're not on YOUR ass.

Speaking of which, I have a binding restraining order in place against monsieur Hemorrhoid so I'll take relief in watching YOU guys deal with him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts