Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have sworn off riding fast on back roads or in the mountains, and vowed to only drag a knee on track days from now on? How's that working out for ya?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I gave up street riding about a year ago, and feel it was a great choice. No more worries about registration, insurance, cops, squids, oncoming traffic, etc, etc...

I was over at my friend Matt's house last month, and we were putting together a race bike in the garage. A couple of our old street-riding friends came by to check on our progress. After they sped off onto the highway, Matt and I both looked at each other and asked, "Why did we ever get that excited to ride on the street?, in the dark? on the highway?"

It's a whole different world now, after racing.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
I am glad I gave up the street. No fun and way too dangerous IMO.

I would ride the street again if I lived in a smaller city but racing is where it is at IMHO. Good riddance to fucking SUV's

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
I've thought about it lots of times and still do. I have even got race parts (fairing, etc.) for my street bike, as my wife will use it on the track from now on. It's still registred and I still ride a lot on roads, mostly commuting - through the twisties. But I've backed off a lot in regards to speed and lean angles on roads after I've been doing a lot of track riding. I'm a much better rider now because of the track but I take less chances in public - too many factors...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I went from riding a thousand miles per month on the street to a couple hundred now. As long as I can get in 2 trackdays per month I'm content with just taking my girl for a leisurely stroll through the hill country every now and then. I still have to go to the hangout spot to say "hi" to all my other occassional trackday riders but I don't roll with the rest of the bunch.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I haven't ridden on the street for the past three years......

The first season was the hardest, since I'd do my nighly commutes through the twisties near my house.....But that was pretty well it. The never ending search for the twisties......

And, as has already been stated.....I no longer worry about having my son on the back, and some asswipe in his SUV, deciding to point out the sites in the nearby woods, while sitting 18 inches off my ass.....I had to pull of onto the gravel shoulder so this shitfuck didn't run myself and my boy over.

That was the day I swore off the street for good.

I'm luckier than alot of guys I meet, in that I do a whack of track days....generally 25 a season.....plus race weekends (thursday to sunday up here). Work is always nuts, and I book a pile of time as comp for use in the summer.....They always bitch when I take the time, but never seem to have much to say when I'm doing 100 hours a week during the winter.

These days, the only street riding I do is to burn off the winter gas, cobwebs, etc, in the spring....Usually involving some low speed cruising through the neighbourhood side street, to avoid the police.

I am thinking.....just thinking, mind you, about putting the 1K back on the street....I thought about selling it, but due to extremely high insurance for younger riders, used litre bikes are a dime a dozen, and are next to worthless to sell. Since I got the 600, 1 will probably spend alot of time riding it, between track days and races......but who knows.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Best thing I ever did-its far more enjoyable-not having to worry about cops,idiots in cars,animals,shit in the road-etc & I'am riding better than ever

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I gave up streetriding after 1 trackday. Sold my 1K and bought a 600 race bike. I've never looked back once. Don't miss it one bit, even when I see co-workers bikes parked out front. The only thing that piss me off is when some people get on the track earlier in the season than me

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd rather ride on the track even if its once a month. FULL THROTTLE without looking back for a COP? The only thing that slows me down is FEAR it self. Track Dayz for me. Once in a while ill just wanna cruise but you cant get enough of the wicked power that these bikes have.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I still ride on the street but not nearly as much. I have also slowed it waaayyyy dooowwwnnn. To be honest with you the street is not even that fun for me anymore. Now when I'm out I'm too chicken to go through the curves I used to (i start thinking about the guardrails, cars, gravel, cops, etc., etc.). I'm not sure how much more street riding I'll be doing though. I average 2 trackdays a month and I'm looking to getting into racing as soon as i find me another bike. I think the reason I still ride on the street is b/c my buddies do. If they did more trackdays with me I think we'd all be content staying off the street.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My leathers and back protector are on the way and I have 2 months left on my insurance after that I may give up the street entirely...

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
i don't ever see myself giving up street riding even though i'm racing and going to a lot of trackdays..

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
i don't ever see myself giving up street riding even though i'm racing and going to a lot of trackdays..
Ditto.

When I do ride the street now, however, the pace I'm going at is pretty much the pace I was going before getting really heavy into track riding. Only now, instead of it being 'on the edge', it's just 'comfy'. Unlike before, I don't have any real desire to push my limits on the street. In some people's eyes I'm probably hauling ass, but I stick well within my limits. It's like riding in a car now... I know that no matter how fast I go it's not going to be a rush like being on a motorcycle, at the track, so I don't really have any desire to 'push it'. For the first time in my life, I actually drive at a reasonable pace!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I love to ride too much to give up the street...

That being said, sometimes I do wonder what the heck I'm doing out there(the street) riding a 157hp fire breathing gix at 50%. I'm actually seriously thinking about buying a ninja 500 or an sv or somesuch just to see if I can hang w/the canyon heroes.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, you guys had a lot more constructive comments that the Gits in the General Riding forum. I'm back on the track this monday at Taladega and I'm looking for a touring rig, something nice and pretty that I'll be afraid to crash. I hope I can slow myself down on the road without having to go cold turkey.

Time for a new me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmmm..I was in a really bad accident this last Christmas Eve on my bike, well the bike isn't mine anymore because it was totaled. It was the classic car pulling out and blocking the right of way accident.
I'm still in recovery now, and none of my injuries should keep me from riding....but been wondering if I do get back on the horse if I should just stick to track.
Not sure what I'll do at this point..but...I do know I don't want to end up having 4-5 more months of my life ruined by somebody that can't drive..I was good and responsible on the street...but it didn't matter that day.
Maybe I should invest in better luck if I can find some on e-bay.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If it wasn't for all the street riders we wouldn't be going to track days or racers.
They are the ones providing the profits so the manufacturers can keep racing.

How many of us became hooked on bikes when we witnessed a crazy hooligan doing wheelies in traffic when we were kids?

Saying that I am pondering it since the yearly insurance cost up here will pay for 10 track days....

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i'm in that phase of wanting to give up, but i can't. track days are on mondays, and the friends i've made don't do all the track days. a few of them do. But if i can't make trackdays I need to do something. But with the cops, roads, hazards and TICKETS i'm basically looking at an Article 15 if I get another "fast" speeding ticket in while in the military.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess more people would do the same if they coul, because ever since sometime last year, there have been alot more jerks on the road. I dunno... what's stopping me is the other bills, and how expensive it is to buy a track bike vs. pay off my 600 streetbike.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts