Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my black/black 600 last Friday. At first I though I bought something way over my head for a first motorcycle of any kind. May still be over my head but I have gotten much more comfortable.

Up until a few nights ago I couldn't rev it much over 10,000 rpm without scaring the crap out of myself. I have slowly been working at reving it more and more. Today I was on the George Bush Turnpike here in DFW and playing on the vacant service road. Finally I saw some of what this bike it really packin'. Got it up to about 14,000 in 2nd or 3rd gear. I guess 2nd.

I am right at the break in point and will change the oil tomorrow. I don't feel guilty about getting on it a little before the first oil change. I am sure others do much much worse. I work for a BMW dealer and have seen many people blow off the break in period on M-cars with no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now I'm starting to feel like the older posters that have been on this site for years. I have an 06 750 and this squid makes me feel old. Listen advice of the older posters. Learn the bike and yourself and be careful. Experince is a tough teacher because she gives you the test first then provides the lesson.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
natedawg84 said:
I'd be more worried about crashing than anything from what you described. Just sneak up on it these things will bite and when they bite they bite hard. Ride safe.
I am a lot more scared of it than I thought that I would be before I bought it. I have a healty fear of what could happen and think about it all the time. Everytime I have really gotten on it I granny shift and make damn sure the throttle is closed before I shift. I would not do that in traffic or while trying to make some fast power shift.

The first weekend I had it I made the mistake of not closing the throttle all the way before I shifted and I dumped it into 3rd or 4th gear by accident while the engine revs raced up. I was going pretty slow but it was just one more thing to add to the list of not to do's so I don't kill myself.

·
Registered
527 Posts
More to learn than you think brotha. Trust me! Do some reading online and try different things out slooowly. Get comfortable with differnt things on the bike. Four things, take MSF course...have full coverage insurance...do some reading n practice what you read...wear good quality gear for when/if things go bad!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesteryday was a nice day here so I got out for a quick ride. I try to work on one or two areas everytime I ride. Yesterday I went over to my fav little industrial park where there is no traffic. I practiced stopping and slowing down very quickly incase someone pulls out in front of me.

Also practiced turning around corners at a normal pace so I don't have to slow down to grandma speeds. Practiced weaving through the stripes in the road incase I have to swerve quickly. I feel more comfortable leaning the bike over a bit. Nothing crazy just practical leaning to make it around the turn correctly.

Also having right hand pain. Have been trying to use my legs and stomach more to support my weight as some others on gixxer.com have said. It works well just tough to remember.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
From the sound of it, you seem to have some respect for the bike and its abilities. However, all of the things you are practicing and more are covered in the MSF course. That course should be manditory.

If i were you, i would worry more about learning to handle the bike, stop quickly and getting rid of those chicken strips before i worried about seeing how high i can rev the bike.

Ride safe.

BTW, i do have to commend you for practicing in unpopulated areas.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I started on the 750.. here's what I found accidentally and was VERY lucky:

When it's hot and you're leaning it over in a turn especially on roads that aren't that populated - WATCH FOR TAR LINES!!! Expect your FRONT tire to grab sometimes. I was coming around a corner at probably 70km/hr and hit one and my tire grabbed, and I almost lost it. The tar was very raised because not a very populated road and it was very sticky because it was hot.

Also, this might seem like the dumbest advice anyone could give you but it helped me. I practiced locking up the back tire and controlling it. Nothing too fast, maybe coming to a stop at a stop sign hit the back hard and practice controlling it sliding side to side. This saved my ass recently when it was cold and my tire slid hard coming to a stop when a car cut me off - I knew how to control it.

Sounds like you're in the exact same boat as I was in June brotha. I have 19,000 km on this baby, ride as much and as often as you can so you don't have to 're-learn' things.

Keep your head up, and in check.. and take it SLOWLY. And of course, take the advice of all the experienced riders on here.. i'm definately not one but maybe these 2 things might save your ass some day.

Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Out of all the bike forums that I visit during my day, I am continuously disappointed with gixxer.com because of all the threads exactly like this one. Some noob buys a brand new racebike. Learn how to ride before you buy a bike like this!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the MSF and have my license. I have read the MSF handbook and articals from Sportrider and tips from some of you guys and then go try and practice what I have read.

I know getting on the bike full blast may not be the smartest thing but knowing what it has and not being suprized when I need to blow by some guy to get out of a "situation" is very practical in my opinion. Same as knowing how much brake I can grab.

I have only tried any of this in very controled low traffic areas where the roads are smooth and straight. I know there is lots more to learn also. I just want to feel more comfortable with the basics while in traffic with real cars.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
physik3r said:
Out of all the bike forums that I visit during my day, I am continuously disappointed with gixxer.com because of all the threads exactly like this one. Some noob buys a brand new racebike. Learn how to ride before you buy a bike like this!

You can take that response over to the noob's asking how to do a wheelies sir.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Really glad to hear that you took the MSF course. Also glad that you are putting in some time off main city streets and highways.

I agree with others, practicing emergency stops is key, and more important than how high the revs go. Getting comfortable with good cornering techniques is also key. Spend a bunch of money on good quality gear to wear.

If you continue to keep your head in the game, and have healthy respect for what you are riding, that will go a long way. Enjoy your K7...I love mine, too.:cool

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dude, im in the same boat you are. I just got my firt bike ever, a k7 600 red/white. Just from reading around here i know alot of you guys dont approve of this but i felt i was ready to do it. I always knew that these bikes have to be respected and thats just what I have done. I'm starting to feel a bit comfortable on it, leaning is what i find a bit hard to get used to. I've just been gradually speeding up in curves, thus far i have found my limits. Im hoping to slowly extend them though. Good luck and enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
physik3r said:
+1
Except I don't go to any other bike forums. Which ones are you speaking of where there's usually not noobs who pick brand new race bikes as their first?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
physik3r said:
Originally Posted by friscokid
You can take that response over to the noob's asking how to do a wheelies sir.
:rolleyes
You are a noob on a brand new racebike. Therefore this response DOES pertain to you.

Take the MSF course.
Don't worry about reving your bike.
Practice EMERGENCY stopping and SWERVING. There IS a difference between that and learning how to use the brakes and learning how to turn. Accidents are caused when a panic situation arises, most of the time. And brand new high performance racebikes are not gonna forgive noob mistakes in panic situations.

·
Registered
196 Posts
av_fan said:
:rolleyes
You are a noob on a brand new racebike. Therefore this response DOES pertain to you.

Take the MSF course.
Don't worry about reving your bike.
Practice EMERGENCY stopping and SWERVING. There IS a difference between that and learning how to use the brakes and learning how to turn. Accidents are caused when a panic situation arises, most of the time. And brand new high performance racebikes are not gonna forgive noob mistakes in panic situations.
Any recommendations on how to get better at swerving?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont worry about having the 600 as your first bike. Yes you can hurt yourself, of course, but you can hurt yourself just as well on a 250 or walking your dog! I somewhat agree with people starting with more forgiving bikes but as you know starting on a missle can be done without killing yourself as long as you ride within your limits and practice!:D

Practice with your 600 you would have to re-learn its characteristics anyway if you started on a smaller bike so you might as well learn now just be more careful. The 600 was the bike you were eventually going to get anyway. Just stay within your limits. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whats up Friscokid, I live in DFW too in the Midcities area. I got the same bike. I started on an SV650, great bike and I want to buy another but will probably get the SV1000 if I do. Anyways, you wont know how good these Gixxers handle until you have ridden another bike that didn't have the suspension that these bikes have. I rode the SV for two years before I felt the need to upgrade. The first time I took my 600 into the revs I was a bit scared too. I am quickly getting real comfortable on this bike though and don't see any reason for anything bigger on the street. I like riding the twisties anyways.

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
it may have not been the best decision to start on the gixxer, but what's done is done. sounds to me like you are going about it in the right way.

buy "a twist of the wrist II" by keith code. this will really help you. it will be the best $20 you spend on that bike.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
flzrider said:
Any recommendations on how to get better at swerving?
Just push right to go right. Left to go left. A quick forceful movement with your upper body, kind of just pushing the bike over and away from you. Then just pull it back under you again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.