Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I got my 97 gsxr600 a couple of months back and I've noticed the gearchange getting gradually noisier. I've changed the oil, adjusted the clutch cable bot at the casing and the lever, adjusted the chain and greased the gearshit lever behind the footrest.
The bike still gives an allmighty CLUNK!!!
everytime I get it into 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
I've had other bikes before and this is a bit too loud a clunk for comfort.
The thing is, the bike has 18000 miles on it and I don't know whether the clutch has ever been replaced. What baffles me is that the clutch is definitely not slipping.

Any ideas by the GSXR Gurus?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Clutch basket wear... Not clutch plates.

Try this, pull in the clutch, rev the bike up and then shift into 1st.

Also, Does it do it when you shift gears from like 2nd - 3rd when you are rolling?

Keep in mind, some tranies make more noise then others. But it could also point to a problem...

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I sould have said to let the rpms come back down before you put it into 1st..

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the response, Yes if I give it some gas with clutch in. drop to idle then select 1st it makes loud clonk and moves forward very slightly.

2nd to 3rd is not to noisey.

Have I bought a nail?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If it clunck and then tries to move on you, it sounds like the clutch isnt letting go... I would open up the clutch cover and take apart the clutch. Sounds like the outer basket has some good sized notches in it were the plates hit it.. Kinda common, but more so if you like to dump the clutch a lot of the basket wasnt made correctly. That is a good starting place.. Do you have the book for the bike? If not I would get one... They are great...

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have been following the board for awhile but this is my first post...

I have a crack in on my sprocket cover, looks like the crack is near the sensor... Is that going to cause a problem..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Joe B:
Hello everyone,

I have been following the board for awhile but this is my first post...

I have a crack in on my sprocket cover, looks like the crack is near the sensor... Is that going to cause a problem..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Been there done that... What this is from is when the speedo sending unit comes loose and hits the sensor. this makes it crack the case... For me, I just put the sending unit back in with some locktight. From then on my speedo reads a bit slower then it did before. but i found that in my case it was much more correct. since the speedos read faster then you are really going.

John

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Going from 2nd >> 1st, or N >> 1st, always results in a CLUNK on my bike.

But im not concerned by it

I kinda expect it to be that way now.

Have u ridden an early R6, or R1 ??

NOw, those gearboxs are clunky. U get the clunk sound in EVERY GEAR.

Apparently, they've sorted it out in the 02 models.

KaTz

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I know mine cluncks a bit.. .but if it is really loud then you might have a problem.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Humm.... Tried revving the bike and then snicking it (ha!) into 1st. Still the same noise. And it even makes some noise from 2nd to 3rd (although not as bad)
There is no creeping whatsoever though.
What I did notice last night is that when you give it a handful of throttle on the road in the lower gears you can feel a little clunck as if the chain was too slack (which it isn't).

I guess that the clutch basket is the first port of call then. I'll have a look at it in a couple of weekends.

As a matter of interest, how durable are gsxr clutches: anybody has had to replace the plain plates?

cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
This BBS is great, I used to have a Subaru Impreza and Scoobynet is no way as helpful as this. Thanks GSXR-Freak I will check it and get a service book

1 - 12 of 12 Posts