Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI if you're driving through GA. I got pulled over for 90 in a 70 on I-75. I paid the ticket and thought everything was good. Then about two weeks later, I got a notice from the State of Georgia fining me $200 in addition to the speeding ticket calling it a "Super Speeder Fine." First time I've ever heard of this. Apparently, this has been a thing there for a number of years. Anyway, they threatened to have my license suspended, etc. if I didn't pay it. It's this a thing in other areas too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It might be because you were going 30+mph over the speed limit. Some politician needed to keep their job and needed to come up with something to make easy money for who knows what and fining speeders more than what is already law won't backfire on them because you can't say speeding is harmless. Ugh.. Its always between a giant douche or a turd sandwich.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I mean 20mph over the speed limit. Now that I actually figured out basic math 20 mph doesn't seem that bad... Sorry man.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
That's nuts. At least there's some benefit to living here in montreal, where speed limits and stop signs are more like suggestions than rules.

·
Super Moderator
15,119 Posts
That's nuts. At least there's some benefit to living here in montreal, where speed limits and stop signs are more like suggestions than rules.
Or he could not do 90 mph :dunno

And a lot of states have high fines when you get up to 90+. They usually let you know up front though of the price. In NJ he could have gotten the speeding ticket which is 4 points and since he was doing 90 the officer could also give him a reckless driving ticket which is another 5 points, expensive fine and the possibility of a license suspension. So while getting a surprise fine after already paying one sucks, it could have been worse.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
Damn! It's tough but I try not to do no more than 10 over and that's to keep from being RAN over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realized my keyboard changed speeder to super in the title 😛

I wasn't trying to suggest that I shouldn't have received the ticket. When I paid the ticket, I thought that the fine would be much higher. The two fines together totaled what I thought the original ticket was going to cost. It's just the way the second fine arrived was a first for me. I have lived next to Georgia for the last 25 years and driven through it frequently without ever hearing of this. Just wanted to give people a heads-up.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,037 Posts
that sucks balls, you pay one fine then they add an aidditional... shouldn't it all be on one ticket?... i guess its state law but damn that sucks...

in aus 20mph over the limit = drivers license suspended for 3 or 6 months, vehicle impounded (1 month first offence, 3 months second offence, gone for good on the last offence)
so called "hoon laws"

the reality is people just now make a run for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 to 6 months suspension? Wow, that's severe. I have imagined parts of Australia being like Montana where there are great distances to cover between cities. From what I understand, Montana used to be very understanding regarding people trying to make time to get to one place to another, until the federal government got involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Montana still is fairly forgiving if you aren't being an asshole about it. There's a lot more latitude about how officers deal with speeding. If its a clear day, clear road, not near a town you can still go 10 above speed limit and if caught, $20 fine, ($70 in fines for driving 11-20 over; $120 for driving 21-30 over, $200 fine if more than 30 miles over). If you're nice to the cop and they are in a good mood, usually it's a lecture and $20 and they'll fudge the speed. Further, there aren't that many cops on the roads, except near larger towns (and small town speed traps - cough East Helena cough cough).

However, if conditions are bad/congested they will additional charges and you may have to spend a couple nights in the pokey. A lot of roads out here are posted at 70 for two-laners, 80-85 for large highways so you can get where you want to go pretty quickly while still staying within the $20 fine range. Not autobahn speeds, but enough to keep your interest, especially when it gets twisty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the Super Speeder law applies anywhere in GA.
Was it a state trooper? Because they impose a higher fee over local law enforcement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Capt, thanks for the info on Montana. Visiting there and Australia for that matter are still on my bucket list :)

Jbaker, I was stopped by a Houston County Sheriff's Deputy. I was surprised that the ticket was under $200.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an FYI if you're driving through GA. I got pulled over for 90 in a 70 on I-75. I paid the ticket and thought everything was good. Then about two weeks later, I got a notice from the State of Georgia fining me $200 in addition to the speeding ticket calling it a "Super Speeder Fine." First time I've ever heard of this. Apparently, this has been a thing there for a number of years. Anyway, they threatened to have my license suspended, etc. if I didn't pay it. It's this a thing in other areas too?
That is interesting and crazy. It also sounds illegal and/or like a BS scam. I have never heard of getting double tapped for speeding and especially i being and afterthought. I would have fought it myself even if i had just pled guilty by paying your original ticket just cause damn the man!!! Im on the opposite side of the country in N. Idaho and we just have the possibility of being charged with a felony at 20+ mph over.

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
next time go through Montana, they have a reasonable and prudent still for a hunskie, put a paper clip on your registration, then the hunskie and drivers license over that in that order, state law

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A felony? That's severe :O Thanks for the heads-up.

TwistedMister, thanks for the tip ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing