Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I just bought a 2006 GSXR 1000 two days ago. I know very little about it. can anyone give me some tips on servicing the bike. what should i do as a new owner before i start putting serious miles on it? i basically traded a 2008 mazda cx 9 for it straight across (mazda was valued at $4000 maybe $4500) was this a fair trade? i honestly have no clue what the bike is worth. its in good condition. a few small scratches, a small dent in tank. new battery, plugs and wires, fresh oil and filter, new tires, clean tittle, and 41000 miles. runs great, sounds smooth. i put almost 300 miles on it since monday 10-8-18, no leaks, run temp on open road is about 200 F, in heavy traffic it hit about 220-225 F then the fans came on. thanks for any info, HAPPY RIDING.

·
Registered
70 Posts
BEFORE I bought my 750 SRAD I had already downloaded a workshop manual off Tinternet.
Rather than watching TV, I acquainted myself with the manual (bike), where components were located, what were the servicing requirements (e.g. how many spark plugs would I need), that sort of thing.
So, I was 'ahead of the game' whilst waiting for the right 750 to come along, which is now, happily, in my garage.

Do yourself (and us) a big favour and get yourself a workshop manual.

These machines are actually quite sophisticated and not to be taken lightly; if you are not careful you will end up like many other squids on the forum = 'I think I've blown my ECU', etc.
Learn about the bike and do as much servicing, per the manual, as you can.
When you REALLY get stuck, that is the time to post the forum.

By the way, whether you got a bargain or wasted your money is of little interest to the forum - the deed has been done.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Hello to all,

I just bought a 2006 GSXR 1000 two days ago. I know very little about it. can anyone give me some tips on servicing the bike. what should i do as a new owner before i start putting serious miles on it? i basically traded a 2008 mazda cx 9 for it straight across (mazda was valued at $4000 maybe $4500) was this a fair trade? i honestly have no clue what the bike is worth. its in good condition. a few small scratches, a small dent in tank. new battery,plugs and wires, fresh oil and filter, new tires, clean tittle, and 41000 miles. runs great, sounds smooth. i put almost 300 miles on it since monday 10-8-18, no leaks, run temp on open road is about 200 F, in heavy traffic it hit about 220-225 F then the fans came on. thanks for any info, HAPPY RIDING.
Post up some pics of the bike,gotta see it before a value can be placed upon it. You'll find most minty-mint,near showroom condition K5/6's,with 15-20k miles on the clock,and with top-quality aftermarket parts sell for $5000-6500.
With 41,000 miles on the clock,the most I'd pay would be $3200-3700 and that's if the bodywork/paint is 100% OEM and the rest of the bike is stock. If it's got Chinese fairings on it&has been modded(with eBay/shitty Chinese knockoff parts,I wouldn't pay more than $2200.

Who told you that the "plugs and wires" were changed? I ask because the K6 1K doesn't technically have plug-wires. It utilizes coil-sticks that basically plug into the wiring harness,so there aren't any wires to be changed like on an old bike or car.

200f temp while cruising on the open road is a bit high,all the K5/6's that I've owned always hovered around 180-190f depending on ambient air temps and if I was cruising at highway speeds,or slightly higher.

I'd definitely get a hold of a Suzuki FSM,there should be downloads floating around somewhere.

FYI-the K5/6 1000 is a serious machine,what's your riding experience?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
That bike is worth $3,000. $3,500 if it had been mint with 41k miles, which it is not simply based on it having a dent. Also, I'm not sure how you have fresh plugs and wires with no wires to be swapped.

Personally, you should assume that everything the person told you is a lie if there is no documentation from a reputable shop. AKA, you should immediately change the oil, flush the coolant, maybe the plugs, check the chain tension and measure the pin distance to see if it's stretched, check that it doesn't have a clip-type master link on the chain, and definitely check the valve clearance if there is no history there. You should also be checking the brake pads, and make sure all recalls are done.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
.... I just bought a 2006 GSXR 1000 two days ago. I know very little about it......
If you don't know much about your bike, know this: It's arguably one of the best literbikes ever. Anyone who knows anything about GSX-Rs knows the '05-'06 1000 is a legend. It's an ancient topic so read-up.

Unless yours is a basket-case, you have a bike that's not to be trifled with. What bikes have you owned so far?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,713 Posts
+1 on the road temperature. Unless you're riding in really hot conditions, something's not right.

"hit about 220-225 F then the fans came on"
Huh? There's only one.

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
871 Posts
+1 on the road temperature. Unless you're riding in really hot conditions, something's not right.

"hit about 220-225 F then the fans came on"
Huh? There's only one.
he said when it was sitting in traffic which would be completely normal

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts